• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Age

Mr.45_1911

Im new to open carry, and im not yet 21 so i cant get my CCDW yet. I live in Louisville and see there are several of you the open carry here. I was wondering if there was a certain age that you have to be to open carry a handgun. All the information that I have found just says 18 and doesnt specify what it applies too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

langzaiguy

Welcome! Age 21 to get your CCDW. Age 18 to buy, sell, own, carry any firearm. Of course you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a FFL.

KYGlockster

Activist Member

18 to carry. But you can not buy the gun or ammunition for it "handgun" from a ffl dealer. You can buy it from someone you know or get your parents or family to buy it for you. But you are 100% legal to carry. Welcome to our great state. I hope you enjoy it as much as i do>?!!!

mem1977

When carrying your gun concealed or open carrying here in Kentucky. Does the gun have to unloaded or can you carry loaded? Can someone let me know? I have almost enough to purchase my first gun, but I want to be sure on the loaded or unloaded carrying before I start carrying.

Thanks

Thos.Jefferson

When carrying your gun concealed or open carrying here in Kentucky. Does the gun have to unloaded or can you carry loaded? Can someone let me know? I have almost enough to purchase my first gun, but I want to be sure on the loaded or unloaded carrying before I start carrying.

Thanks

Loaded. Carrying a firearm that is unloaded would be like taking a shower with your clothes on, kind of pointless.

KYT

Thanks

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter either way.
But like Thos.Jefferson said, it would not make any sense to carry an unloaded gun.

These are the only references to "unloaded" I can find quickly.
I feel it is implied, all other instances, the firearms could be loaded.

527.070 Unlawful possession of a weapon on school property - Posting of sign - Exemptions.
(3) The provisions of this section prohibiting the unlawful possession of a weapon on school property shall not apply to:
(h) A person possessing unloaded hunting weapons while traversing the grounds of any public or private educational institution for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting with the intent to hunt on the public or private lands, unless the lands of the educational institution are posted prohibiting the entry; or

527.100 Possession of handgun by minor.
(1) A person is guilty of possession of a handgun by a minor when, being under the age of eighteen (18) years, he possesses, manufactures, or transports a handgun as defined by KRS 527.010, except when the person is:
(e) Traveling to or from any activity described in paragraphs (a) to (d) of this subsection with any unloaded handgun in his possession;

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Loaded. I would never carry a firearm unloaded, that just kinda takes the whole purpose of carrying away. And I like not having mag restrictions either so everyone go to cnn.com and vote on their poll for mag restriction. It would really urk me to have a handgun that can hold 15 rds. and only be able to carry 10. However, if we already have high cap. magazines, cant we still carry them if they were banned being as it is a pre-ban item.

KYT

Loaded. I would never carry a firearm unloaded, that just kinda takes the whole purpose of carrying away. And I like not having mag restrictions either so everyone go to cnn.com and vote on their poll for mag restriction. It would really urk me to have a handgun that can hold 15 rds. and only be able to carry 10. However, if we already have high cap. magazines, cant we still carry them if they were banned being as it is a pre-ban item.

I think they are wanting to do the same thing as the Clinton 1994 ban.
Where its illegal to make/import new ones, but they want to up the ante this time and make it illegal to sell already existing ones too.
This would include private sales as well.
The whole thing is Fn stupid.
I read a report saying Loughner had 4 magazines anyway.
That's still 40 rounds, had mags above 10rds been still banned.
And he could have held 2 in the same amount of pocket space as a 33rd one anyway

I think what it boils down to, is they want to keep us unarmed, because they have immoral agendas and don't want the people to be able to fight back.
If they weren't doing anything wrong, they wouldn't have a reason to fear law abiding citizens.

Liberty4Ever

18 to carry. But you can not buy the gun or ammunition for it "handgun" from a ffl dealer.

Suggestion: Get a .223 pistol to open carry. You can buy rifle ammo at 18.

Talk about your unintended consequences! Silly legislators!

BTW - When I buy .22 LR ammo at WalMart, their computer knows it can be used for handguns or rifles, so they ask me, "Is this for a handgun or a rifle?" I'm ready for the question. I have a quarter in my hand. I flip the coin into the air, catch it, slap it down on the back of my other hand, look at it, and say, "RIFLE!"

neuroblades

Suggestion: Get a .223 pistol to open carry. You can buy rifle ammo at 18.

Talk about your unintended consequences! Silly legislators!

BTW - When I buy .22 LR ammo at WalMart, their computer knows it can be used for handguns or rifles, so they ask me, "Is this for a handgun or a rifle?" I'm ready for the question. I have a quarter in my hand. I flip the coin into the air, catch it, slap it down on the back of my other hand, look at it, and say, "RIFLE!"

I've got to remember that one the next time I go there to buy ammo. *LMBO*