• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stood in Line with Desmoines Police this morning

DEROS72

As I walked in to my Safeway Starbucks as usual I ended up in line with Desmoines police officer.We just stood taking about unrelated subjects while we waited.Another person in line asked me if I was police as well ,I replied no.He asked about my sidearm as I was talking with the officer.I told him briefly about Wash.gun laws and the right to open carry.At that point I handed him a pamphlet and a flier for the rally.I started to give the officer one and he said he already had one and knew about it.He picked one up at Blumenthals.The officer said he couldn't make it but he and his buddies support us big time.
The point is our word has spread and is continuing to go out.Open carry is becoming well known in certain areas.So everyones work in this is paying off in a big way.When I run into folks arbitrarily that know what we are about ,it really makes me think we are making head way.
In Fredmeyer the otherday I went to the jewelry store to have battery put in my watch.Ended up giving the sales gal a brief on our rights that she had no idea we had.
Regardless of the few like in Federalway ,its working but we can't let up.
People are seeing we have the facts and the anti's are just spouting the same lame lines over and over with no facts.They don't like facts.So the more we keep it up the more irelevent they become.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

This is very encouraging, I've been open carrying for a few years now but never had a incident this positive, guess I'll have to keep at it!

DEROS72

Just keep at it it will happens.The officer didn't say a word about my firearm.I have built a trust over the years with the local businesses.That safeway donates free stuff to all our functions.I have the trust of management there that I even have the codes to walk into the managers office.Some of you have been with me when I do this.How many can walk into the managers office of you bank or grocery store armed and sit down.
Nick and I went to pick up all the sodas they gave us for the Willow lake last August.When I told the manager she just said its in the back get it yourself. So 2 armed guys walk in the back an wheel out grocery carts full of sodas and stuff they donated to the BB-Q.The manager and some of the staff brought me some goodies to my apt.after I came home form my heart surgery last year.Or when the weather is really bad had a staff memeber drive me home.So I do all my shopping there,really good folks. Build a trust with your local community ,thats where it starts.
I know many of you have things like that going on.They are saving up sodas and water etc for our 2A rally as well. Bill and I stood open carry in my bank managers office while opening an account for the rally. As for the fliers I have to make a couple of revisions and we'll repost the PDF you can print and hand out.I pass out 2 to 4 or more pamphlets everyday.I always keep some with me.

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Yup, low key friendly open carry of properly holstered handguns works over time . . .

Yup, low key friendly open carry of properly holstered handguns works over time like sand in a river to cut a larger swath of rights - everybody needs to understand that when you are open crrying you are already "talking" very loudly - no need to try to be in your face about it, that just backfires on us.

sudden valley gunner

Yup, low key friendly open carry of properly holstered handguns works over time like sand in a river to cut a larger swath of rights - everybody needs to understand that when you are open crrying you are already "talking" very loudly - no need to try to be in your face about it, that just backfires on us.

I agree and really haven't experienced or seen anyone be "in your face" about.

protect our rights

As I walked in to my Safeway Starbucks as usual I ended up in line with Desmoines police officer.We just stood taking about unrelated subjects while we waited.Another person in line asked me if I was police as well ,I replied no.He asked about my sidearm as I was talking with the officer.I told him briefly about Wash.gun laws and the right to open carry.At that point I handed him a pamphlet and a flier for the rally.I started to give the officer one and he said he already had one and knew about it.He picked one up at Blumenthals.The officer said he couldn't make it but he and his buddies support us big time.
The point is our word has spread and is continuing to go out.Open carry is becoming well known in certain areas.So everyones work in this is paying off in a big way.When I run into folks arbitrarily that know what we are about ,it really makes me think we are making head way.
In Fredmeyer the otherday I went to the jewelry store to have battery put in my watch.Ended up giving the sales gal a brief on our rights that she had no idea we had.
Regardless of the few like in Federalway ,its working but we can't let up.
People are seeing we have the facts and the anti's are just spouting the same lame lines over and over with no facts.They don't like facts.So the more we keep it up the more irelevent they become.

It is good to hear these good stories for a change. It seems like it is too often that we have bad interactions with LEOs in our stories here at OCDO. We are starting to make progress in educating the public. Anyone else have a similar story they would like to share, we need more like em' around here!

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Yup, low key friendly open carry of properly holstered handguns works over time . . .

As most of you know by now, I live in the infamous city of subdued excitement, Bellingham. Low key friendly has always been my lifestyle. Case in point, I was in my bank yesterday (inside a Haggins) making a deposit when the guy in the next line starts up the "hey is that a handgun??". It always reminds me of Mel Gibson and Martin Downy in Air America. "Is that an Uzi??....... Why yes it is....." I gave him the 2A and rally info and gave him a gun rights brochure. He was happy. Made me happy too.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
As most of you know by now, I live in the infamous city of subdued excitement, Bellingham. Low key friendly has always been my lifestyle. Case in point, I was in my bank yesterday (inside a Haggins) making a deposit when the guy in the next line starts up the "hey is that a handgun??". It always reminds me of Mel Gibson and Martin Downy in Air America. "Is that an Uzi??....... Why yes it is....." I gave him the 2A and rally info and gave him a gun rights brochure. He was happy. Made me happy too.

Nope.... it's a rifle.....

Here's your sign...

B000002KSA.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

sudden valley gunner

Awesome. I find many quirky comments are folks just trying to break the ice, the old "Are you a cop" when I am obviously not for example.

I haven't had a problem at any bank or any branch here in Bellingham I think I pretty much have OC'd in all of the major names and some of the credit unions. Actually had some good conversations with tellers, about wouldn't be great if they were allowed to carry, probably cut down on the possibility of being robbed.