• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video/ audio recording police

Irish.40

My google-fu is failing me. Does anyone know of a cite to the law about recording people/police in public in Minnesota? I need to know if I can record police legally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWModel66

Audio and or video recording of the police

From what I found, I believe that MN is a single party state.

Check out the Photography is Not a Crime website. You will learn that the US Supreme Court has ruled that public employees (that includes police and fire as well as politicians) have no expectation of privacy in the performance of their duties. You have every legal right to record them whether they like it or not.
They CAN ask you to move further away from a scene if you are interfering with the performance of their jobs or creating a safety issue.
They CAN ask for your video or audio recording. But, you do NOT need to provide it (with some exceptions). In general, they need a warrant to seize your property.
Many photographers have been arrested and charged with disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace by standing their grounds on this issue.
The Photography is Not a Crime website references instances of Minneapolis police violating users constitutionally guaranteed rights.

In short....You CAN. And, you may be harrassed and jailed for doing so.

mohawk001

Check out the Photography is Not a Crime website. You will learn that the US Supreme Court has ruled that public employees (that includes police and fire as well as politicians) have no expectation of privacy in the performance of their duties. You have every legal right to record them whether they like it or not.
They CAN ask you to move further away from a scene if you are interfering with the performance of their jobs or creating a safety issue.
They CAN ask for your video or audio recording. But, you do NOT need to provide it (with some exceptions). In general, they need a warrant to seize your property.
Many photographers have been arrested and charged with disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace by standing their grounds on this issue.
The Photography is Not a Crime website references instances of Minneapolis police violating users constitutionally guaranteed rights.

In short....You CAN. And, you may be harrassed and jailed for doing so.

Understood, but having it already being legal in the state books without having to rely on the USSC would hopefully make it that much smoother since some states still want to believe they can have their own laws saying it's still illegal. Maybe not worded perfect, but I think you can get my meaning.