• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man adjusting their gun shoots themself in ankle and wounds another at HS graduation

solus

A man carrying a concealed pistol in his sock accidentally shot himself in the foot and injured a woman during a graduation ceremony in Kansas Sunday.

It was in his sock," Augusta Director of Public Safety Tyler Brewer told reporters Sunday. "It was being uncomfortable for him. He went to adjust his sock. The weapon went off (and) struck him in the foot."

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/man-accidentally-shoots-self-woman-during-high-sch/nrNXb/

another CC'r shows their skill.

bad gun for being uncomfortable and going off ...bad gun.

ipse

Last edited:

Ezek

Don't they make ankle holsters?

and if your finding it uncomfortable, maybe it is best to take care of the situation else where.. or buy a gun with a safety and keep it engaged while you have it stuffed in your sock...

davidmcbeth

Banned
Don't they make ankle holsters?

and if your finding it uncomfortable, maybe it is best to take care of the situation else where.. or buy a gun with a safety and keep it engaged while you have it stuffed in your sock...

DB-OZM115.jpg

They do make gun socks too ....

beebobby

Amazing how quickly a "good guy with a gun" can turn into a danger to himself and those around him. Definitely not militia material.

Ezek

Amazing how quickly a "good guy with a gun" can turn into a danger to himself and those around him. Definitely not militia material.

you know.. maybe it's that no child left behind common core crap you guys went for that created this dilapidated pile of crap with no common sense that walks amongst us in society.

of course suggesting this truth is just finger pointing and all.

Last edited:

OC for ME

An actual verifiable ND that was not due to finger on the trigger, of course it was a Glock. Not that Glock is to blame, but this would not have happened with a gun cocked, and locked.
Personally I always check to be sure that no obstructing material, a sweatshirt in the case of the chief, impedes a safe re-holstering of my handgun.

Some folks have a view that "accidents" are unavoidable where firearm safety is concerned, we are human and we make "mistakes." After nearly 40 years, not once have I come close to a unintentional discharge of any firearm I have handled.
One of the dirty little secrets in the annals of police firearms training is the number of accidental discharges we experience (I prefer the term negligent discharge, because very few of these are a genuine accident). Most of these unintentional rounds are let loose because the gun handler broke one of the safety rules, so a review, of the four basic gun safety rules is in order.

https://www.policeone.com/police-pr...Causes-and-cures-for-the-negligent-discharge/
Zero lapses in the safe handling of a firearm is the minimum expectation as far as I am concerned.

Incidentally, I have not invited back kinfolk to hunt my land if I witness any lapse in firearm safety. This includes "sweeping" even if I know the gun is unloaded.

OC for ME

+1

But recall what Rumsfeld said! "Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know." (http://archive.defense.gov/Transcripts/Transcript.aspx?TranscriptID=2636)
+1

Rumsfeld..."met" him back in 1983 when we stopped off in Haifa for a liberty. Nothing to remember for he. I was the belowdecks watch when he came aboard for a quick tour of one of them there fancy new, high falutin, 688 fast boats.

Take Chief Larry O'Dea of the Portland PD.
The police chief in Portland, Ore. was placed on administrative leave Tuesday amid an investigation into whether he misled authorities about his involvement in an accidental shooting last month.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/2...e-into-accidental-shooting.html?intcmp=hplnws
It is amazing to hear folks in the media, and elsewhere, not voice the obvious, they dance around "it" where cops are concerned. Must not affect the image that cops are professionals where the safe handling of firearms are concerned and this is why only cops should be permitted to carry (OC) in public.

Negligence is the term, a negligent discharge is proof that a citizen should not carry a gun on a daily basis. He is a danger not only to himself, but those around him.

...isn't that right Chief Larry O'Dea of the Portland PD...

solus

harsh OC for me to bring up the poor chief's misadventure(s) quote: O’Dea indicated to a deputy responding to the scene that his friend accidentally shot himself April 21 during a hunting trip. Harney County Sheriff Dave Ward told them O’Dea indicated Ward says O’Dea never identified himself as a police officer and didn’t tell responding deputies that he had fired the shot from his rifle. O’Dea on Friday acknowledged to the public that he’d shot and injured a 54-year-old friend in the back. unquote...

shades of dick's hunting adventures...

ipse