• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Police Encounter in Hampton

ODA 226

Here's the Reader's Digest version of what happened...

My daughter's idiot, drunken roommates let my 135 pound Sarplaninac Dog out of the house and she attacked a 15 pound poodle mix. Police and Animal Control were called.

I got the call from my daughter and went to her house in Hampton. I was CC and immediately told the officer that I was armed.

Before I could say anything else he said, "That's ok. Open Carry is legal in Virginia."

I pointed out that I wasn't OC and asked if he wanted to see my permit. He said, "Not necessary."

Great encounter. The officer was very polite and professional.

BTW: Poodle repair cost me $1,765.22! At least the poor little guy is going to be ok.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

My daughter's idiot, drunken roommates let my 135 pound Sarplaninac Dog out of the house and she attacked a 15 pound poodle mix. Police and Animal Control were called.

I got the call from my daughter and went to her house in Hampton. I was CC and immediately told the officer that I was armed.

Before I could say anything else he said, "That's ok. Open Carry is legal in Virginia."

I pointed out that I wasn't OC and asked if he wanted to see my permit. He said, "Not necessary."

BTW: Poodle repair cost me $1,765.22! At least the poor little guy is going to be ok.

That's the way they should go ODA! Good to hear Hampton has gotten the message.
Sorry about the dogs. Hope yours isn't going to get a Dangerous Dog title.

25sierraman

I'm pretty good friends with a Hampton Police Officer. Shes probably a bit more of a Pro gun activist than I am. It's always great when a woman chooses to carry but its even better when that woman also happens to be a Resource officer at a school!

wylde007

It's always great when a woman chooses to carry but its even better when that woman also happens to be a Resource officer at a school!
More "special consideration".

We did not even have resource officers when I was in school. Now they are mandatory for all public facilities.

And they are the ONLY ONES who may carry in a school building because they are "special".

I know it is not their fault - it is the law's. The law is crap.

palerider116

More "special consideration".

We did not even have resource officers when I was in school. Now they are mandatory for all public facilities.

And they are the ONLY ONES who may carry in a school building because they are "special".

I know it is not their fault - it is the law's. The law is crap.

By changing the laws, you change what is enforced. Its important to change laws that defy logic or the Constitution, and prevent laws from being passed that do the same.

wylde007

Its important to change laws that defy logic or the Constitution, and prevent laws from being passed that do the same.
Hundreds of thousands of laws which violate the Constitution have been passed by a congress which does not accede to the laws of the founders.

They consider us their serfs and they are the elected monarchs - passing judgment and issuing mandates from their alabaster palace on the green.

The Constitution is just a piece of paper with words on it. There is nobody willing to actively defend it anymore - and they know it. Lincoln used the federal army conquer the last group of "free" men who dared to defy the government by exercising their TRUE Constitutional right to self-governance and self-determination.

And despite the promises and oaths taken since, the majority of people believe that the union is lawful and "the best that there is", even though it is held together by fear, coercion and under duress. If anyone was to try and leave, as the South once did - they would either be imprisoned or murdered for "preservation" of the putrid, stinking, festering union.

C

coolfrmn

Good to hear another positive encounter with LE.. I've had pleasant encounters with LEOs during DUI check points when I hand them my CWP along w/DL & Ins.

1245A Defender

who,,,

from the op.
I was CC and immediately told the officer that I was armed.

why did you even bother to pollute the situation by talking about your gun?
the cops set a good example, you set a bad one!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP why did you even bother to pollute the situation by talking about your gun? the cops set a good example, you set a bad one!

ODA is former LE. Courtesy.

Note that ODA did not play the "cop card" by saying I'm a former cop. Plus, ODA is in a better position, as former LE, to handle the situation if the cop gets out of hand at the notification.

Now, you all know I have a high suspicion level for cops, and am ready to go round-for-round with them on this board. But, the focus in this thread should be on the cool news that the cop had zero interest or concern about ODA's gun. No "seizures for [bogus] officer safety". No pretexts for running the serial number to see if the cop could pin a stolen gun on the owner of the poodle-muncher. Nothing. In fact better than nothing--an open acknowledgement that OC is legal.