• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indiana Surpreme court says cops don't need permission to enter your house

dangerousman

Someone attempting to enter my home illegally will face far greater obstacles than just my lack of permission.

SFCRetired

I'm not in Indiana, but this just makes my blood run cold! Whatever happened to the doctrine that a man's home is his castle? A doctrine handed down in English Common Law, upon which much of our law is based, from the days of the Magna Carta.

I fear that, if this is not overturned by SCOTUS, it will be copied in other states and be a further excuse for trampling our rights.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Actually, Wisconsin was already ahead of Indiana on this issue. In State v. Hobson, 218 Wis.2d 350, 577 N.W.2d 825 (1998), which the Indiana Supreme Court cited in its decision, the Wisconsin Supreme Court held that Wisconsin would no longer recognize common law privilege to forcibly resist an unlawful arrest in the absence of unreasonable force.

In another thread, I posted:

The Indiana Supreme Court's decision in Barnes v. State is consistent with the law in most other states--and certainly the modern trend. I agree with the court's rationale that "allowing resistance unnecessarily escalates the level of violence and therefore the risk of injuries to all parties involved without preventing the arrest—as evident by the facts of this instant case."

There is NEVER any set of circumstances under which I personally would ever resist an LEO, regardless of how wrong he was. Regardless of whether the law allowed resistance to unlawful police conduct, anyone who physically resists an officer has a death wish.

Violations of our rights can be redressed later in court. Any person who is the victim of any violation of his or her rights (whether a civil rights violation by the government or a private tort or breach of contract) has a duty to mitigate damages. The Indiana Supreme Court--and most other courts that have already come to similar positions--made the right decision.

In this vein, I happen to be handling a case--which I will post in the West Virginia forum when I am ready to fully publicize it--in which my client, a fellow attorney, was unlawfully detained for over a half hour for open carrying around noon on a Saturday in a popular restaurant in his city; his driver's license, concealed handgun license, and handgun were unlawfully seized from him; and one of the officers involved made a not-so-subtle threat to shoot my client. My client handled this situation perfectly and, as a result, was able to walk away in the same physical condition as he began this encounter and in possession of all of his property (including openly-carried handgun). He could have resisted (WV happens to be among the states that have not yet expressly disavowed an individual's right to resist a police officer acting unlawfully) at the risk of either the Rodney King treatment or perhaps a few new orifices, but his calm, cool, and collected handling of this incident only helps expose the egregiousness of the violations of his rights that he suffered. His live testimony of what happened is much more valuable than anything the medical examiner could have said had my client chosen a different response and ended up at Forest Lawn.

TangoDown

I don't thinik so Indiana!:mad:

This is a blatent attampt to curcumvent our bill of rights. This has SCOTUS writen all over it, as this is a clear volition of our 4th ammenment rights. Only a 2/3 majorty vote in congress (I believe its congress) can change an ammenment, not some gung ho losers in IN,so this "law" is dead on the water imho.

-Tango

apjonas

To Be Accurate

---Indiana Surpreme court says cops don't need permission to enter your house---

isn't quite the decision. Rather it is that the remedy for unlawful entry is through the legal process vs self-help (possibly violent). I don't know of any cases where force was used to prevent LEO entry. If for no other reason than the homeowner would have to be 100% correct in his assessment of illegality. Compare this to Private Jones' refusal to execute General Bluster's "illegal" order. If Jones is right, he's a hero. If not, he's an inmate at Leavenworth. I would make sure that the entry was through a closed, locked door so the result would be photogenically stunning, videotaped if possible, witnesses, crying children or old people collapsing helps. Depending upon the reason for entry, a LEO may backoff rather than risk unnecessary damage and injury (to anyone). Think of high speed pursuit policies. This policy can only work if there is real and effective compensation for a wronged citizen. I agree, SCOTUS here we come!

HandyHamlet

... an unlawful arrest in the absence of unreasonable force.

Is that were 3-4 25O lb armed, armored and tattooed cops gently blow in my ear while administering me a pedicure AND full body message? While one sneaks up behind and coaxes a pair of pink fury cuffs daintily around my wrists so he won't rob me of my impending slumber?

Last edited:

hardballer

Someone attempting to enter my home illegally will face far greater obstacles than just my lack of permission.
Yup!

His live testimony of what happened is much more valuable than anything the medical examiner could have said had my client chosen a different response and ended up at Forest Lawn.
Though I appreciate your comments and advice, My personal experience with LEOs, the courts, and lawyers in general does not give me any confidence in allowing my rights to be trampled. Most folks don't get it but there are things that stick in a man's craw lots worse than dying...

Is that were 3-4 25O lb armed, armored and tattooed cops gently blow in my ear while administering me a pedicure AND full body message? While one sneaks up behind and coaxes a pair of pink fury cuffs daintily around my wrists so he won't rob me of my impending slumber?
Not likely, and I ain't serving tea and crumpets for any trespasser either...

M

McX

court says cops don't need permission to enter your house- yeah, try that, let me know how it works out for you here.

HandyHamlet

Actually, Wisconsin was already ahead of Indiana on this issue.

I love the fact that in the face of a tyrannical act responsibility falls on the citizen to defuse the situation, eat sh*t, and then pay for the privilege to prove his rights were violated at a date to be named later.

Call me ignorant of the Law but I'm guessing that's not what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they had those little get togethers over High Tea years ago.

Violations of our rights can be redressed later in court.

Still waiting to hear what happens when the victim does not have the wherewithal to retain counsel. Does not have the time to spend three years in pre-trial hearings as the state plays musical chairs with it's P.A.s. Or the money to sit around through the pre or post court appeals.

Interceptor_Knight

And they will take your weapons from your cold dead hands.....
Better to live to fight another day.

--......it is that the remedy for unlawful entry is through the legal process vs self-help (possibly violent)..... If for no other reason than the homeowner would have to be 100% correct in his assessment of illegality. Compare this to Private Jones' refusal to execute General Bluster's "illegal" order. If Jones is right, he's a hero. If not, he's an inmate at Leavenworth. .....
This... The homeowner has no way of knowing whether or not the warrant is proper. If you resist an entry and the assault team had a valid warrant even though there may have been an error, you and possibly your family will pay a price for resistance.

anmut

This is a ruling allowing the "ends to justify the means." Of course, you can fight it, but be prepared to bankrupt pocketbook, your time and your reputation doing so. And just like when companies make rebates mail-in; they are counting on you to just sit down, shut-up and pay your taxes.

Interceptor_Knight

This is a ruling allowing the "ends to justify the means." Of course, you can fight it, but be prepared to bankrupt pocketbook, your time and your reputation doing so. And just like when companies make rebates mail-in; they are counting on you to just sit down, shut-up and pay your taxes.

It does not legitimize bad entries. It simply says that the homeowner does not have the option to resist it at the time.

anmut

It does not legitimize bad entries. It simply says that the homeowner does not have the option to resist it at the time.

Um... IMHO if you can't protect your house from an illegal entry AT THE TIME, then it for sure legitimizes the illegal entry! :)

Resistance verbally or physically to illegal search and seizure is imperative to the strength of the 4th Amendment.

Interceptor_Knight

.....Resistance verbally or physically to illegal search and seizure is imperative to the strength of the 4th Amendment.
At the time of entry, you have no way of knowing if it is "illegal" or not. It can still be 100% legal but mistaken. You do not have the luxury of making that call at the time of entry.
Verbally is alright but physically is not the way to live to fight another day. A wise man picks his battles. If you resist you will most definitely be over-powered and face additional charges. Instead of simply contesting the original search you may find yourself with multiple felony convictions by the time you are done.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

If you are a law abiding citizen I am pretty sure you would know it and could therefore figure out the dudes with badges should not be kicking your door in.

It can still be 100% legal but mistaken.

What on earth does this mean please?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Still waiting to hear what happens when the victim does not have the wherewithal to retain counsel. Does not have the time to spend three years in pre-trial hearings as the state plays musical chairs with it's P.A.s. Or the money to sit around through the pre or post court appeals.
There are lawyers who will take meitorious Section 1983 cases on contingency (42 U.S.C. § 1988(b) provides attorney's fees to successful civil rights plaintiffs). Admittedly, we're not as plentiful as slip-and-fall lawyers, but we do exist.

HandyHamlet

A I agree with the court's rationale that "allowing resistance unnecessarily escalates the level of violence and therefore the risk of injuries to all parties involved without preventing the arrest—as evident by the facts of this instant case."

Still agree there guy?

Ind. Sheriff: If We Need to Conduct RANDOM HOUSE to HOUSE Searches We Will

May 16, 2011 at 1:15 pm
by: Allison Bricker

CROWN POINT, Ind. – According to Newton County Sheriff, Don Hartman Sr., random house to house searches are now possible and could be helpful following the Barnes v. STATE of INDIANA Supreme Court ruling issued on May 12th, 2011. When asked three separate times due to the astounding callousness as it relates to trampling the inherent natural rights of Americans, he emphatically indicated that he would use random house to house checks, adding he felt people will welcome random searches if it means capturing a criminal.

http://smargus.com/indiana-sheriff-if-we-need-to-conduct-random-house-to-house-searches-we-will/