• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun stopping power

NHCGRPR45

If you are really interested in how a bullet works and the hows and why's of the subject you can't find a better book than " Understanding Firearm Ballistics, by Robert A. Rinker." One of the things he covers is the RII Relitive Incapacitation Index, the Federal Bureau of Investigation Tests, The Hatcher Formula Relitive Stopping Power Index. It can be found at Barne's & Noble for 25.00. Best book I ever bought about how guns and bullets work.

" One of the situations he goes into is this one.

This happened in Indianna, a man walks into a restruant that is busy with the dinner crowd. The robber with a pistol approaches the cashier and demands all the money in the cash drawer. Saying the robber is high on drugs is like saying the Pope is religious. Apparently he was in another world. What he would do with his handgun or how many people he would kill was unknown and unpredictable. What happened next is also unpredictable.

The restruant owner was armed with a firearm that, from a standpoint of terminal ballistics, would be considered excellant. He had a short barreled .357 magnum loaded with 125gr JHP this round has an RII of 44.4 and a ranking of number 4. While some will disagree with this it is still an excellent defense load.

A normal person would not be able to withstand many hits from such a weapon, but drugs change a body until the reaction is abnormal.

Whe the crook was ordered to drop his weapon he continued to threaten the life of everyone around him. He then absorbed 18 hits mostly in the chest, before he went down. And no that is not a typo or mistake. It was reported and observed that the store owner reloaded his 6 shot revolver twice."

And there are several others also. The info he puts in his book is easy to understand and apply, anyone with an interest in self defense should get this book.

Last edited:

WilDChilD

I have been interested in a five seven lately. To bad he didnt have any data about the 5.7x28mm round. Anybody know about any tests that have looked at that round vs more common SD rounds?

Last edited:

TheQ

I have been interested in a five seven lately. To bad he didnt have any data about the 5.7x28mm round. Anybody know about any tests that have looked at that round vs more common SD rounds?

I hear it does very well against body armor. Key factors to consider:

1. Availability of ammo
2. Price of gun

On a side note, I fulfilled a fantasy this weekend at Freedom Firearms; I fondled an PS-90.

I <3 Star Gate SG-1.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

1. Availability of ammo
2. Price of gun

On a side note, I fulfilled a fantasy this weekend at Freedom Firearms; I fondled an PS-90.

I <3 Star Gate SG-1.
Thats with the AP rounds FN makes. The regular stuff we can get is stopped by IIA and IIIA vests. But you do get a lot of it up tp 30 rounds with the extended magazine.And the gun comes with 3 20 round mags. Also its still a .22 caliber round I personally believe its on the light side for self defense.

TheQ

Thats with the AP rounds FN makes. The regular stuff we can get is stopped by IIA and IIIA vests. But you do get a lot of it up tp 30 rounds with the extended magazine.And the gun comes with 3 20 round mags. Also its still a .22 caliber round I personally believe its on the light side for self defense.

It's lighter than .22. That being said it whistles at 3500 FPS.

xmanhockey7

I know someone who has one. Ammo is expensive on it. But the gun is VERY light. I have had some issues with the first 1-3 round being reliable but that COULD be because all the mags have the extra 10 round thing attached. The gun shoots like an angry .22 and can go through light body armor from what I have been told. If you have the money for the gun and ammo it's a good gun to have.

WilDChilD

1. Availability of ammo
2. Price of gun

I <3 Star Gate SG-1.

I have been looking for ammo when i go out. Its not at walmart but every gun shop has it and it is available online all over the place. Price of gun is high but I have enought $400-$500 guns time to start collecting pieces worth something.

r1dramma

I own the gun and no it isn't a
. 22. The best self defense ammo you can get for it is the elite ammunition s4 & s5, which are a bit expensive but the ss197 which is the regular ammo for the the range, that I have bought on line for as little as 19$ for a box of 50. I have put well over a 1000 rnds and have not had any problems and that's my daily oc & cc carry gun.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk Xparent Blue!

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I own the gun and no it isn't a
. 22. The best self defense ammo you can get for it is the elite ammunition s4 & s5, which are a bit expensive but the ss197 which is the regular ammo for the the range, that I have bought on line for as little as 19$ for a box of 50. I have put well over a 1000 rnds and have not had any problems and that's my daily oc & cc carry gun.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk Xparent Blue!

5.7mm = .224" nominal diameter, so, yes, it is.

griffin

Allow me to fill in some info and correct a few misconceptions. First of all, the ammunition sold by Elite Ammunition is very effective. It is way better than the SSxxx stuff sold by FN. The ranking of their SD ammo is roughly:

T6 > S4M > ProtecTOR II > ProtecTOR I > ProtecTOR III

Second of all, 5.7 x 28 ammo isn't all expensive. Last month I bought 1,000 rds of SS197 for $318 from Cabella's ($159/500 rds), and that included two free metal military-style ammo cans (each ammo can can hold about 2,100 5.7 rds). Not a bad deal, $15/box 50, and on par with what you'd pay for common caliber ammo, plus a couple of $10 ammo cans. Most EA self-defense ammo (S4M, Pro series) is about $1/rd, T6 is $1.69/rd.

I posted the following on MGO a while back.

+++++

Here are just a few videos to show some modern loads for the 5.7. There are more. Shooting through a car and then into meat? Shooting through denim? With modern rounds such as EA manufactures (S4, S4M, T6, etc.) the results are pretty devastating. These don't even include other rounds such as the ProtecTOR series (ProtecTOR, ProtecTOR II, ProtecTOR III).

This website only allows one embedded video per message, so you will have to click on each of the other videos. :(

Here's some metal 'n meat testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoMMbEiC63o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONgYlKvgVHk

Here's some comparison tests in clay against .45ACP Hydra-Shock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opphm-17JfA

Here's firing through a windshield into clay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6cC9mtoFJs

S4M into ballistics gel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygayGi4a-NU

Hi Speed vid from Brass Fetcher ballistic lab on T6.

[video=youtube;zqK7aoI0yzI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqK7aoI0yzI[/video]

Hi Speed vid from Brass Fetcher ballistic lab on S4M.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1xmYv7x4v0

I could post more. Brass Fetcher Ballistic Testing writes: Due to their higher kinetic energy densities, [even standard SSxxx cartridges] offer greater potential to disable the skeletal system of an attacker when compared to conventional handguns. This, coupled with a higher magazine capacity than a conventional handgun make the 5.7x28mm cartridge a very reasonable choice for civilian self-defense.

I carry rounds better than the standard SSxxx cartridges. I use EA for carry and SS197 for practice. But even standard SS195/197 are nothing to sneeze at!

The Five-seveN is not heavy. Fully loaded (20+1) it weighs less than a Glock or Sigma .40S&W carrying 15 or 16 rounds, and it shoots like a dream.

I carried a .40S&W for fifteen years. Then I carried a .45ACP for two years. Now I carry a Five-seveN (with a .40S&W BUG). Carry what you want. I choose the Five-seveN for my primary. I feel fully confident in this platform.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

A 22 that hits like a 44.

Well I'd stick with the .44

It's lighter than .22. That being said it whistles at 3500 FPS.

Max muzzle velocity is right around 2200.

I think he was referring to NCGRDOOEIJSOHHTO34987384779834's comment:

NCGROEHRHOEHFOEHOSDJ84759 stated it was a .22 caliber (22 hundredths of an inch in diameter) round....which it is.

Bronson

Thank you bronson for the rather eloquent use of my obviously long screen name..:p

Haman J.T.

The importance of shot placement.Any round placed center mass that will travel through to the spine will do!CARRY ON!