• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about my Sig 226...any Sig experts please help!

shastadude17

Long story short, dad got a Sig P226 several years ago for free from a customer whose husband passed away. He never carries it, so I'd rather let it sit in a holster than a safe :p

It's a two tone 226, I believe the slide is a stainless steel finish. The proof marks underneath the muzzle are a "JJ" indicating it was made in '88. It says "Made in W. Germany" on the right side of the slide, and "Herndon, VA" on the left. It has a ported barrel and slide. The serial number is U354 00x. I found on a forum a list of Sig Sauer models and serial number prefixes and suffixes to indicate what they are, and the U354 prefix was non-existent on the list. It has a standard Sig Sauer DA/SA trigger with a decocker on the left side of the weapon. Anyone have any bright ideas as to what this is? I couldn't find any model of 226 that matches it.

PS, I tried registering on sigforums.com and it wouldn't recognize my gmail account...so I came here :p

I'm not looking to sell it, I love this gun...just wanting to know if I have something special or not. Regardless, it's a nice gun. Thanks fellas.

http://i.imgur.com/SBaoayn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4kkjy1K.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2iviTKp.jpg

Last edited:

WCEarp

What it appears to be, by my account, is a West German gun that has been modified.

The list on sigforums.com isn't complete by any means, but give a rough idea of where serial number dates should fall. Your serial number is in the range for a 1988 Sig P226, as well as your slide.

Herndon, VA was the home of SIGARMS from the late 80's to early 90's. So, your gun was imported through them in 1988. If your grips are original they should have a date stamp on the inside that looks like a clock that should match the guns '88 build date. You have a very nice looking West Germany P226.

You didn't say what caliber the gun is, but with the porting, I am going to assume 40 cal. Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but a ported barrel was not a factory option on your gun. Same goes for the nickel controls. I would guess that someone use to run the gun in open class competitions and had the slide modified and an aftermarket barrel put in.

Even though IMHO the gun isn't something "special", I bet it shoots great. I wish my Sig P226 looked as pretty as that one. Of course I don't have to worry much about adding yet another nick to the finish of my gun. Have fun with it and marvel at the flames coming out the ports when firing hot loads.

shastadude17

What it appears to be, by my account, is a West German gun that has been modified.

The list on sigforums.com isn't complete by any means, but give a rough idea of where serial number dates should fall. Your serial number is in the range for a 1988 Sig P226, as well as your slide.

Herndon, VA was the home of SIGARMS from the late 80's to early 90's. So, your gun was imported through them in 1988. If your grips are original they should have a date stamp on the inside that looks like a clock that should match the guns '88 build date. You have a very nice looking West Germany P226.

You didn't say what caliber the gun is, but with the porting, I am going to assume 40 cal. Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but a ported barrel was not a factory option on your gun. Same goes for the nickel controls. I would guess that someone use to run the gun in open class competitions and had the slide modified and an aftermarket barrel put in.

Even though IMHO the gun isn't something "special", I bet it shoots great. I wish my Sig P226 looked as pretty as that one. Of course I don't have to worry much about adding yet another nick to the finish of my gun. Have fun with it and marvel at the flames coming out the ports when firing hot loads.

Apologies, it's actually a 9mm. Also, the barrel SERNO matches the receiver and slide. How can you tell if the finish is nickel vs. stainless steel? I just assume it's stainless steel because nice things generally don't just fall into my hands like this haha. It does shoot great, obviously little to no muzzle flip even with hot loads, and while I haven't shot it in low light conditions, there isn't the blinding flash I've seen from other ported weapons. I actually haven't noticed a difference between that and any other 9mm I've shot or owned on muzzle flash.

Thanks for the info though, I'll take off these grips at some point and take a peek.

markand

How can you tell if the finish is nickel vs. stainless steel? ... no muzzle flip even with hot loads.
A stainless steel frame will be significantly heavier than the standard aluminum frame, about 8 to 9 ounces heavier. That weight will significantly dampen perceived recoil as you describe. That said, SIG doesn't make very many stainless steel frames and they are sought after for their dampening of recoil as well as the superior durability of the stainless steel frame. The anodize finish on aluminum frames can wear off over time, indeed, a rather short time, if the gun isn't properly lubricated.

WCEarp

Easiest way to check for stainless steel on your Sig is with a magnet. You should have a stainless steel slide with an alloy frame and nickel controls.