• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and the Midwest winters.

Rbwhanson

Since winter is fast approaching and weirdly overdue (not that I'm complaining in the least), how do you all go about OC'ing in the brutal Wisconsin winters? I am sure this is half the arguement to legalize CC in the state, but I can't for the life of me think of a good way to OC and not die of hypothermia at the same time. Any help from any of you OC vets?

TyGuy

Leg drop holsters don't interfere with coats.

A large shoulder holster could be worn over the coat.

Cheesehead holster might also work, but the draw is tough.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
It isn't easy! I mostly find I need to compromise and I shouldn't need to to exercise my right to keep and bear arms.
I either wear a shorter jacket than I care to or I end up wearing a proper jacket for the weather and hope I do not get caught for breaking this dumbass law that prohibits concealment.
You can conceal at your place of business, and on your own property as per case law in Hamden.

protias

My coat is short enough that it tucks behind my sidearm. I just need to watch out raising my arms as my coat will cover it up when my arms come down. I also have a leg holster.

J.Gleason

Banned
Just a suggestion that may help some. Most coats can be tailored to have a split on your carry side.
A zipper can be installed there and a snap at the edge. while carrying unzip the zipper and slide the coat around the firearm and holster, leaving both exposed, Then snap the snap behind the holster to keep the coat from creeping up and covering the firearm. Works great.

When not carrying simply zip the zipper down to keep warm.

Last edited:

Shane28

all of my coats have a draw string at bottom that i tighten up on the side I carry on which allows for no interfernce. I have a columbia ski jacket for my winter coat.

M

McX

No. A warm gun melts snow into water which then freezes into ice and jams the gun. Once the gun is cold then leave it cold, it'll work fine.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I will wet-lube my OCW for the winter.

yeah, but Doug, how do i deal with the icecicles?

amend icecicles, to guncicles.

Last edited: