• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How one person handled a LEO encounter

OldCurlyWolf

Never make eye contact with police officers, always look down, they like that. If you look into their eyes they will think you are a threat to them. Police officers usually do not like self confident citizens, they prefer passive-subservient citizens. :rolleyes:

Where did you get that?:cuss:

I have never had that problem since the very first time when I got stopped(properly by law) for speeding at age 16. I was taught to always look a person in the eyes. :cool:

To not do so was a sign of prevarication. :uhoh:

Gunslinger

It also conveys I don't have anything to hide, I.E., honesty.:cool:

Agreed. When you do break eye contact, as inevitably will happen, glance to the upper left, not the lower right. Interrogation training shows the former is catching your thoughts to continue truthfully, the latter covering up after a lie.

SavageOne

I would add that adopting a contentious attitude isn't the best response to an LEO.

Just to play devil's advocate here. What if a person is normally just plain crotchety, grumpy, curmudgeonly, etc. ? Does this give a LEO reason to detain or investigate? There are plenty of people out there who are not as courteous as the norm. Does this give them less right to be secure in their persons from search and seizure?