• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Issues at Virginia Center Commons Mall Glenn Allen Va

kennys

imported post

We went to Virginia Center Commons, as my daughter wanted to look for a home coming dress. I decided to enter the mall through the food court side. I knew there would probably be security at the door, but didn't know they had any issues with weapons carry. I guess he didn't notice my 1911 as I walked in because nothing was said, and than we walked buy a security guard half way through the court. He didn't immediately move or any thing, but I noticed he made a call on his radio, and mentioned to my wife here it comes. Sure enough as we got to the end of food court where the mall splits to both sides, here comes the Calvary from every directionon their lazy mobile two wheel scooters. The first one approached and rudely said this is private property and weapons are not allowed. He wouldn't even look me in the eye. I said I didn't see any any gun signs on the door and told me it was on the mall policy plaque’s on either side of the vestibule on the way in. At that time he told me if I wanted to put my weapon back in the vehicle I could precede into the mall. I politely informed him, if I could not carry there, I would take my business else where.

I will tell you, I am really ticked off at the way they handled this as it seemed like they were treating me like a criminal. Aside from the older white guard which seemed to beapologetic and professional,the other three were totally rude and what seemed to be on the verge of combative. I noticed one that had walked up on the back of me a few feet away, and I thought for a second, he was going to try and disarm me and this is a no no. After I finally realized that they were not going to try to detain me, I turned around and headed for the door. On the way out, I noticed the plaque and did see in small writing hidden in the middle of every other rule no weapons allowed. I will get my wife to take a picture of it tomorrow on the way home from church so I can post it. Lastly after exiting the mall, the guard that was on post when I walked in was still there and two more different ones in uniforms showed up as well as one in plain clothes. As well on my walk back to the truck, we were followed buy a couple in their security vehicle; they waited till we got to the truck, and as well followed me out of the parking lot. :cuss:

I as well posted this to the thread Richmond OC. I wanted to make sure it was noticed..

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

kennys wrote:
We went to Virginia Center Commons, as my daughter wanted to look for a home coming dress. I decided to enter the mall through the food court side. I knew there would probably be security at the door, but didn't know they had any issues with weapons carry. I guess he didn't notice my 1911 as I walked in because nothing was said, and than we walked buy a security guard half way through the court. He didn't immediately move or any thing, but I noticed he made a call on his radio, and mentioned to my wife here it comes. Sure enough as we got to the end of food court where the mall splits to both sides, here comes the Calvary from every directionon their lazy mobile two wheel scooters. The first one approached and rudely said this is private property and weapons are not allowed. He wouldn't even look me in the eye. I said I didn't see any any gun signs on the door and told me it was on the mall policy plaque’s on either side of the vestibule on the way in. At that time he told me if I wanted to put my weapon back in the vehicle I could precede into the mall. I politely informed him, if I could not carry there, I would take my business else where.

I will tell you, I am really ticked off at the way they handled this as it seemed like they were treating me like a criminal. Aside from the older white guard which seemed to beapologetic and professional,the other three were totally rude and what seemed to be on the verge of combative. I noticed one that had walked up on the back of me a few feet away, and I thought for a second, he was going to try and disarm me and this is a no no. After I finally realized that they were not going to try to detain me, I turned around and headed for the door. On the way out, I noticed the plaque and did see in small writing hidden in the middle of every other rule no weapons allowed. I will get my wife to take a picture of it tomorrow on the way home from church so I can post it. Lastly after exiting the mall, the guard that was on post when I walked in was still there and two more different ones in uniforms showed up as well as one in plain clothes. As well on my walk back to the truck, we were followed buy a couple in their security vehicle; they waited till we got to the truck, and as well followed me out of the parking lot. :cuss:

I as well posted this to the thread Richmond OC. I wanted to make sure it was noticed..

I OC'd there once in the middle of the day without a problem. I never saw any rules posted anywhere.

kennys

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

I OC'd there once in the middle of the day without a problem. I never saw any rules posted anywhere.
The first couple time's I went when I started Carrying I carried concealed. In doing so I looked over their web site, as well at their rules that they had in various areas. I never seen anything posted about weapons. I believe these plague's are new and the lettering small. I as wellhave carried in Sears and Pennies, no issues, and I believe about eight months ago the mall as well. I guess I will just miss out on trips to the mall now. Not that I am loosing out on anything.

kennys

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

I got thinking on that one as I hadOc'd in the evening on a couple week ends I believe it was around the end of last summer to December 2008at that mall with no issue. How long ago was it for you? I may be wrong but seems to me from the way they were acting, they could have associated it with the current myth that all white guys carrying guns are racist rednecks.

VA Lawyer

imported post

I was in there before and saw that guns are prohibited per their "rules" at the entrance. These rules are at least 30 lines of small print and are located to the side of the entrance, so that you would have to turn to the side in order to even notice them.

Two-wheeled lazy mobiles is right...

kennys

imported post

VA Lawyer wrote:
I was in there before and saw that guns are prohibited per their "rules" at the entrance. These rules are at least 30 lines of small print and are located to the side of the entrance, so that you would have to turn to the side in order to even notice them.

Two-wheeled lazy mobiles is right...

That is correct. Don't know when they added it. I put a picture that is not really readable on the other thread, but it is #6 Possession or Carrying of a fire arm or weapon's of any kind openly or concealed with or with out a permit prohibited.

If it were not for places like this, I guess criminals would have no place to go.

Un-armed guards on their Two-wheeled lazy mobiles what a joke. I wouldn't trust them to protect my dogs flees.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

kennys wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

I got thinking on that one as I hadOc'd in the evening on a couple week ends I believe it was around the end of last summer to December 2008at that mall with no issue. How long ago was it for you? I may be wrong but seems to me from the way they were acting, they could have associated it with the current myth that all white guys carrying guns are racist rednecks.
Maybe August of 2008?

kennys

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
kennys wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Maybe August of 2008?
That was the time frame I was thinking. My how things have changed. Just makes me wonder.:?

Virginian683

imported post

kennys wrote:
...I noticed one that had walked up on the back of me a few feet away, and I thought for a second, he was going to try and disarm me and this is a no no. After I finally realized that they were not going to try to detain me, I turned around and headed for the door...
Sorry you had to deal with those chimps.

Let me tell you a secret about most mall security "officers."

Private security in Virginia is regulated by the Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS). Anybody can put on a uniform and call himself security. What they cannot do is 1) carry a firearm (as security) or 2) make an arrest OR detain anyone unless they have the appropriate certification from DCJS. If they have such certification they are required to carry separate wallet-sized cards; one for arrest authority, and another for armed handgun (there is also one for shotgun but usually only armored car guys get it).

Chances are, if you see unarmed security, they do not have certification to arrest either.

If any such "officer" ever lays a hand on you, or tells you you are not free to leave, demand to see his DCJS arrest authority certification. If they stall or refuse, call police immediately and have the person(s) charged with assault and kidnapping.

Seriously, if they had touched your gun or touched any part of you intentionally without your consent, it would have been an assault and you could have THEM arrested. :cool:

If they don't have their certs they are typically told not to touch anyone so the best they can do is intimidation by surrounding you. The cuffs, spray and badge are all for show.

If you had refused to leave (which would be trespassing of course) all they could have done is keep following you around and wait for police to arrive.

TexasNative

imported post

Good point, Kenny. There are a few things they could learn from Paul Blart.

Although I'm not sure they'll convince all the hawt chix to melt in their arms. Some things have to stay in the movies.

~ Boyd

CBEEZO

Seriously?

[/b]

Un-armed guards on their Two-wheeled lazy mobiles what a joke. I wouldn't trust them to protect my dogs flees.

I am a security officer and I know this mall. I am on a first name basis with several people there. The rule of no weapons applies to everyone. Nobody knows who you are and if you are or are not a law abiding citizen. Yet you seem to be up in arms about your right to carry. VA center commons is private property and as such your second amendment right does not apply there. Hate it as much as you want but it can be looked up. As security officers we are taught these rules to avoid infringing on civil rights and the like, to include the second amendment. If you can follow rules about guns and are proud owners why is it hard for you to accept this rule? Security officers respond in numbers because we are UN-ARMED and respond to every incident without body armor without weapons and use only a show of force and our words to contain any situation. If you had a bad experience then I am sorry but remain civil and comply. This goes a long way in dealing with officers in situations who have no weapons as a deterrent. Every incident is high stress, I mean look at it this way: Here you are with a gun in a place that is open to the public, Officers a re thinking "ok why does he have a gun on his person and what does he intend to do with it, is he law enforcement or some guy wanting to act like billy bad ass?"..simply put nobody knows you or your intentions. If you OC and have a cwl then more power to you, but why hassle officers working to secure as best they can a family environment? OH yeah with the Paul Blart references...seriously, thats what you say becasue you can't OC in a public place? I think we can be more grown up than that.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I am a security officer and I know this mall. I am on a first name basis with several people there. The rule of no weapons applies to everyone. Nobody knows who you are and if you are or are not a law abiding citizen. Yet you seem to be up in arms about your right to carry. VA center commons is private property and as such your second amendment right does not apply there. Hate it as much as you want but it can be looked up. As security officers we are taught these rules to avoid infringing on civil rights and the like, to include the second amendment. If you can follow rules about guns and are proud owners why is it hard for you to accept this rule? Security officers respond in numbers because we are UN-ARMED and respond to every incident without body armor without weapons and use only a show of force and our words to contain any situation. If you had a bad experience then I am sorry but remain civil and comply. This goes a long way in dealing with officers in situations who have no weapons as a deterrent. Every incident is high stress, I mean look at it this way: Here you are with a gun in a place that is open to the public, Officers a re thinking "ok why does he have a gun on his person and what does he intend to do with it, is he law enforcement or some guy wanting to act like billy bad ass?"..simply put nobody knows you or your intentions. If you OC and have a cwl then more power to you, but why hassle officers working to secure as best they can a family environment? OH yeah with the Paul Blart references...seriously, thats what you say becasue you can't OC in a public place? I think we can be more grown up than that.

What's a CWL?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Seriously?

Seriously? You pulled up a two-year old post to argue with?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaa!!

Talk about a record-setting necro-post for this forum.

HandyHamlet

Holy threadcromance Paul Ba.... er, "Officer"?

Friendly advice. Step away from the keyboard and check your pill holder. We are now on "T" for Tuesday.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Hey, guys. How do you figure MallCop found this ancient thread?

Do you suppose he looked all through two years of threads in VA, and only decided to sign up and post when he came across this one?

Or, was he maybe on a mission, googling that mall and following the returns?

Or, was he maybe on an anti-gunner mission--maybe for a mall--to see how the pro-gun world felt about mall rules?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Oh! Look! He/she/it also dug up a two year old thread at vaguninfonet, and was so bugged he felt he had to reply today 10/4 at 00:54:54 am:

VBshooter, you said something about security in numbers to bolster bravado?
Understand that I am a security officer and I know that mall. Security Officers respond in numbers because they don't know you. You may be and even Kenny S may be law abiding citizens but how many people are not?
Nobody is racial profiling or stereotyping. Those rules exist as umbrella rules to include everybody. NO one except law enforcment officers and money carriers are allowed to carry weapons into a mall.
I would think that as proud gun owners and maybe CWL holders you all would know the rules as to when and where you can carry.
Private property owners dictate who can carry on private property.
This suprecedes your second amendment right. I look forward to more discussion with you.

http://vagunforum.net/carrying/very...er-commons-mall-glenn-allen-t1910-100940.html

hahahahahahahahahaha!!

It seems to completely escape him/her/it that somebody might have changed their views after all this time and the discourse of others.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Oh! Look! He/she/it also dug up a two year old thread at vaguninfonet, and was so bugged he felt he had to reply today 10/4 at 00:54:54 am:

http://vagunforum.net/carrying/very...er-commons-mall-glenn-allen-t1910-100940.html

hahahahahahahahahaha!!

It seems to completely escape him/her/it that somebody might have changed their views after all this time and the discourse of others.

Whatever kind of mission it is, it does seem to be a mission in BOLD print.

It's odd that with all that training he's had, he doesn't know that Va doesn't have "CWL"'s or that you don't need one to open carry.