• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How about a "Vehicle Carry" map for the maps page?

KBCraig

Creating a map of state laws on vehicle carry can be complex, because there are so many variations and restrictions, not to mention case law, that are unique to each state. But, it wouldn't hurt to have a map that gives a general overview of the situation.

I propose a map that covers the law for exactly one thing: possession within a vehicle of a handgun that is loaded and accessible for use. Any state that restricts car carry to unloaded, or locked in a case, would be the same as no carry at all.

Here are the three broad categories:
  • No license required
  • License required
  • No legal car carry

I took my information from handgunlaw.us, and it's likely that I missed something. I didn't include age requirements, which vary. If anyone cares to look over my list and make corrections or suggestion, feel free.

1. No license required
Alaska (Must inform police if stopped for an official purpose)
Arizona
Colorado
Florida (Must be "cased", but this includes a glove compartment or console)
Georgia (Own vehicle only, or with owner's permission)
Idaho (License required inside any city limits)
Kentucky
Louisiana
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nevada
New Mexico
South Carolina (Must be concealed in a compartment)
Texas (Concealed only)
Utah
Vermont
Virginia (Concealed in a compartment)
West Virginia (Some debate about non-residents)
Wisconsin (1,000 foot gun free school zones for non-licensees)
Wyoming (Off-body only without a license)

2. License required
Alabama
Arkansas (Effectively, despite their journey law)
California
Connecticut
Delaware (License not required for Open Carry)
Hawaii (Good luck with that one)
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Nebraska (License not required for Open Carry)
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina (License not required for Open Carry)
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Tennessee
Washington

3. No legal car carry
District of Columbia
Illinois

Thanks for taking a look and making suggestions.

Last edited:

sjcea

Creating a map of state laws on vehicle carry can be complex, because there are so many variations and restrictions, not to mention case law, that are unique to each state. But, it wouldn't hurt to have a map that gives a general overview of the situation.

I propose a map that covers the law for exactly one thing: possession within a vehicle of a handgun that is loaded and accessible for use. Any state that restricts car carry to unloaded, or locked in a case, would be the same as no carry at all.

Here are the three broad categories:
  • No license required
  • License required
  • No legal car carry

I took my information from handgunlaw.us, and it's likely that I missed something. I didn't include age requirements, which vary. If anyone cares to look over my list and make corrections or suggestion, feel free.

1. No license required
Alaska (Must inform police if stopped for an official purpose)
Arizona
Colorado
Florida (Must be "cased", but this includes a glove compartment or console)
Georgia (Own vehicle only, or with owner's permission)
Idaho (License required inside any city limits)
Kentucky
Louisiana
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nevada
New Mexico
South Carolina (Must be concealed in a compartment)
Texas (Concealed only)
Utah
Vermont
Virginia (Concealed in a compartment)
West Virginia (Some debate about non-residents)
Wisconsin (1,000 foot gun free school zones for non-licensees)
Wyoming (Off-body only)

2. License required
Alabama
Arkansas (Effectively, despite their journey law)
California
Connecticut
Delaware (License not required for Open Carry)
Hawaii (Good luck with that one)
Indiana
Kansas
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Nebraska (License not required for Open Carry)
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina (License not required for Open Carry)
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Tennessee
Washington

3. No legal car carry
District of Columbia
Illinois

Thanks for taking a look and making suggestions.

No license required in PA for open carry

Sent from my Galaxy S///

Pat Gardner

In Idaho you only need a license to carry a gun in a vehicle if you have it on or about his person. If the gun is in plain view you don't need a license to carry it in your vehicle weather it be unloaded or loaded.

KBCraig

In Idaho you only need a license to carry a gun in a vehicle if you have it on or about his person. If the gun is in plain view you don't need a license to carry it in your vehicle weather it be unloaded or loaded.

Thanks. Here's the cite from handgunlaw.us that I relied on:

18-3302.
(9) While in any motor vehicle, inside the limits or confines of any city, a person shall not carry a concealed weapon on or about his person without a license to carry a concealed weapon. This shall not apply to any firearm located in plain view whether it is loaded or unloaded. A firearm may be concealed legally in a motor vehicle so long as the weapon is disassembled or unloaded.

NoTolerance

This might be tricky for states like Wisconsin that don't really define what constitutes "plain view". In fact, WI doesn't require "plain view" as part of our transport law - only that the handgun not be concealed or hidden AND within reach. Most would read that as plain view.

To further complicate matters, that's only for handguns. The transport laws for long guns is different.

If you don't have a WI CCL (or one recognized by WI) your safest course of action if you don't want to become a test case would be to travel through WI unloaded and encased and out of reach.

That being said, I know plenty of people in WI (myself included) that take or took their chances.

Until the WI Supreme Court decides State v Walls no longer applies, you could be playing with fire.

March Hare

Arizona

Arizona should be amended: (Must inform police if stopped for an official purpose and asked if armed.)
Also, the carrier must be 21 or older.

Last edited: