• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pulled over by PCSO.

Strike

I was pulled over by a Pierce County Sheriff's Officer today on my way home from Starbucks in Spanaway, WA.

As I was pulling out onto Pacific Ave he pulled up behind me and lit me up.

As he approached my vehicle, I turned off the engine and placed my hands at 10 and 2. As he got to the window he asked if I knew why he had stopped me. I did not and replied so. He informed me that I had illegally used the turning lane to enter traffic and requested my license, insurance and registration.

Before reaching for my paperwork, I informed I was carrying. He asked where and I motioned towards my G23 on my hip at 11 o'clock. I informed him that it was loaded and he replied "as it should be." He reached through the window and disarmed me. He place my firearm inside his jacket.

At this point I handed him my license and CPL.

He told me that I had used the lane improperly and that we would use this as a "learning experience."

He placed my firearm on the hood of my vehicle and said I could retrieve it once he pulled away.

Overall, I feel it was a good experience and my CPL may have gotten me out of a ticket.

Sent from my iPhone.

hermannr

I was pulled over by a Pierce County Sheriff's Officer today on my way home from Starbucks in Spanaway, WA.

As I was pulling out onto Pacific Ave he pulled up behind me and lit me up.

As he approached my vehicle, I turned off the engine and placed my hands at 10 and 2. As he got to the window he asked if I knew why he had stopped me. I did not and replied so. He informed me that I had illegally used the turning lane to enter traffic and requested my license, insurance and registration.

Before reaching for my paperwork, I informed I was carrying. He asked where and I motioned towards my G23 on my hip at 11 o'clock. I informed him that it was loaded and he replied "as it should be." He reached through the window and disarmed me. He place my firearm inside his jacket.

At this point I handed him my license and CPL.

He told me that I had used the lane improperly and that we would use this as a "learning experience."

He placed my firearm on the hood of my vehicle and said I could retrieve it once he pulled away.

Overall, I feel it was a good experience and my CPL may have gotten me out of a ticket.

Sent from my iPhone.

Question !: Why did you tell him you were armed?

Question 2: Why did you allow him to disarm you?

Strike

Question !: Why did you tell him you were armed?

Question 2: Why did you allow him to disarm you?

1. It is my personal belief that it is generally a good idea to inform police of you are carrying. I was OCing and the last thing I wanted was for him to notice my firearm and draw his weapon.

2. I allowed him to disarm because I felt it would make him feel safer. I'm all for that.

Sent from my iPhone.

tombrewster421

The reason you did not get a ticket had nothing to do with your CPL.

46.61.290 Required position and method of turning at intersections.
The driver of a vehicle intending to turn shall do so as follows:

(1) Right turns. Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

(2) Left turns. The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left shall approach the turn in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle. Whenever practicable the left turn shall be made to the left of the center of the intersection and so as to leave the intersection or other location in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the same direction as the vehicle on the roadway being entered.

(3) Two-way left turn lanes.

(a) The department of transportation and local authorities in their respective jurisdictions may designate a two-way left turn lane on a roadway. A two-way left turn lane is near the center of the roadway set aside for use by vehicles making left turns in either direction from or INTO the roadway.

See my all caps in the last paragraph. The reason you didn't get a ticket is because you didn't break the law and the officer was an idiot for pulling you over in the first place.

ETA. The cop was phishing and that was only the excuse he told you for pulling you over because he figured you wouldn't know he was full of it.

Last edited:

jt59

Certainly your choice, but it is not required...

I am glad that he didn't accidently shoot the boys off as he was inside the window reaching across your body, fumbling at a retention holster and gun that he may or may not have been familiar with.....

He set it on your hood? Everytime I do that, the coffee cup invariably rolls off with the lid going off and accidentally discharging its contents...

My choice is to keep my mouth shut and not look for problems....and since it is specifically not called for as it is in Michigan or Ohio, you avoid things like this:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/you...oncealed-carry-gun-owner-during-traffic-stop/

Strike

The reason you did not get a ticket had nothing to do with your CPL.

46.61.290 Required position and method of turning at intersections.
The driver of a vehicle intending to turn shall do so as follows:

(1) Right turns. Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

(2) Left turns. The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left shall approach the turn in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle. Whenever practicable the left turn shall be made to the left of the center of the intersection and so as to leave the intersection or other location in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the same direction as the vehicle on the roadway being entered.

(3) Two-way left turn lanes.

(a) The department of transportation and local authorities in their respective jurisdictions may designate a two-way left turn lane on a roadway. A two-way left turn lane is near the center of the roadway set aside for use by vehicles making left turns in either direction from or INTO the roadway.

See my all caps in the last paragraph. The reason you didn't get a ticket is because you didn't break the law and the officer was an idiot for pulling you over in the first place.

+1

Thanks for that info.

Sent from my iPhone.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Forgive me if I sound testy and frustrated.

But, I've seen too many of these posts where citizens are subjected to fishing expeditions, had their rights or dignity or both crapped on, and then think things went well.

If the cop really only wanted a learning experience he could have just told you so without the entrapment question about knowing why he stopped you. All it takes is for the cop to walk up to the car and say, "Ma'am, we'd appreciate it if you didn't use the turn lane for accelerating."

This was a pretext stop.

I doubt your CPL got you out of a ticket. I suspect he wouldn't have written a ticket anyway unless something else turned up or you developed an attitude and showed it.

If the cop didn't run your driver license for warrants, revocation, etc., if the stop was literally as short as you write, then I might agree the cop let you go early because of the CPL.

But, your CPL didn't prevent the fishing expedition that was the stop itself.

I'd be very annoyed; I certainly wouldn't say it went well. Not to mention the indignity of having your weapon seized off your person. And, told you could retrieve it after he leaves.

ETA: I just saw TomBrewster's posting of the statute. Now I would be really, really annoyed, and would be writing a formal complaint.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
The same, but different

the same.........I was headed to Lynden to see the antique show with my Sweet Baboo as pilot. She scooted thru a green traffic light and went into a "known speed trap". She was ranting about the man using the POTUS job as she went into the turn at about 40 mph(limit 35). We both saw the motorcycle LEO and for some estrogenic reason that I will never understand, she accelerated into the turn. Lights on, point to the side of the road. He walked up and said" you were doing 43 and then sped up to 51". I laughed, he took the lic & reg, did up the ticket, we laughed again, we all went our separate ways.

different........ Lori was concealed (S&W bodyguard)....I was open carrying. We did not mention it, nor did he.

I still do not understand the part about accelerating into the cop.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
the same.........I was headed to Lynden to see the antique show with my Sweet Baboo as pilot. She scooted thru a green traffic light and went into a "known speed trap". She was ranting about the man using the POTUS job as she went into the turn at about 40 mph(limit 35). We both saw the motorcycle LEO and for some estrogenic reason that I will never understand, she accelerated into the turn. Lights on, point to the side of the road. He walked up and said" you were doing 43 and then sped up to 51". I laughed, he took the lic & reg, did up the ticket, we laughed again, we all went our separate ways.

different........ Lori was concealed (S&W bodyguard)....I was open carrying. We did not mention it, nor did he.

I still do not understand the part about accelerating into the cop.

Could it be that she knew she was going to get a ticket and just made it worth getting one? :lol:

Sparky508

How would you have him prevent it?[/COLOR]

Not much the OP could have done after notifying the officer, but wholly preventable by not offering the information.

Plus 1 for what Navy said also.

No reason to unholster a perfectly happy firearm.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
This started as a traffic stop and should be treated as a traffic stop. Once you inform that there is a firearm present it now turns into a man with a gun stop....

bmg50cal

This thread and others like it irk me.

Don't talk to LEOs. Officer friendly is not your friend. They have no right to search, seize and disarm a law abiding citizen unless that citizen has willingly given up their rights.

Someone needs to smack both the willing compliant subjects and the LEOs that insist on using buzz words like "officer safety" as a lame excuse to infringe upon citizens rights.

images

The Big Dog

Don't open your window all the way !!!!!

How would you have him prevent it?[/COLOR]

You are not required to open your window all the way. Only open you window far enough to allow the needed conversation and the passing of needed documents.

amzbrady

Why is it always someone with in their first 50 posts. You only roll your window down far enough to pass your documents through, and you have the right to remain silent, but obviously dont have the ability to.

"They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

Schlepnier

1. It is my personal belief that it is generally a good idea to inform police of you are carrying. I was OCing and the last thing I wanted was for him to notice my firearm and draw his weapon.

2. I allowed him to disarm because I felt it would make him feel safer. I'm all for that.

Sent from my iPhone.

This is a public forum so i will leave the colorful anicdotes i would have called you had i seen it happen.

He violated the law and your rights and you WILLINGLY HELPED HIM DO IT!

Why? so you could think it made him feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

He may only disarm you during a lawful stop if you are currently armed AND DANGEROUS. otherwise he is in violation of the 4th and a lawful terry stop.

Tell us what else you intend to do just to make other people "feel safer"? what other inalienable rights you intend to just hand over?

In this country you do not have a right to feel safe or be happy

“The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.”
Benjamin Franklin

We do however have other rights you seem to want to give up, perhaps old bens other thought might do you some good.

“Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.”
Benjamin Franklin

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
This is a public forum so i will leave the colorful anicdotes i would have called you had i seen it happen.

He violated the law and your rights and you WILLINGLY HELPED HIM DO IT!

Why? so you could think it made him feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

He may only disarm you during a lawful stop if you are currently armed AND DANGEROUS. otherwise he is in violation of the 4th and a lawful terry stop.

Tell us what else you intend to do just to make other people "feel safer"? what other inalienable rights you intend to just hand over?

In this country you do not have a right to feel safe or be happy

“The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.”
Benjamin Franklin

We do however have other rights you seem to want to give up, perhaps old bens other thought might do you some good.

“Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.”
Benjamin Franklin

Cite, please. Forum Rule #5.

Schlepnier

during a valid Terry stop, the United States Supreme Court forbids police to even conduct a light pat down or seize weapons unless the subsequent to RAS for the stop, the "an officer is justified in believing that the individual whose suspicious behavior he is investigating at close range is [both] armed and presently dangerous to the officer or to others." 392 U.S. at 24. Stated another way, only "o long as the officer is [both] entitled to make a forcible stop, and has reason to believe that the suspect is armed **and dangerous** . . .may [he] conduct a weapons search limited in scope to this protective purpose." Adams v. Williams, 407 U.S. 143, 146 (1972) (emphasis added).