• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCer arrested in West Haven for refusing to show permit

Rich B

http://www.courant.com/community/west-haven/hc-west-haven-gun-arrest-0604-20130603,0,1642797.story

Police arrested a 34-year-old man whose pistol, fastened to his hip, was visible as he walked along the beach boardwalk on Sunday, police said.
Frightened individuals approached officers and pointed out Scott Lazurek and another person, both of whom were armed.
The officers asked to see their pistol permits. Lazurek refused to display his permit. He was charged with interfering with police.
His firearm was seized and his permit has been sent to the state police licensing unit for revocation. The individual with Lazurek complied with officers, police said.

davidmcbeth

Banned
what's the point of the second amendment if they can just walk up to you and take your gun?

this could have been a single instance of a large, full scale effort by the government to take away our guns to leave us defenseless.

how is one to know ?

nothing wrong with the actions of the guy.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Here we go - 4th amendment question - can police demand to see license absent reasonable suspicison of crime affot.

S. Ct. said no in Delaware v. Prause (police violate 4th amendment if, absent reasonable suspicion of crime afoot, they stop a vehicle driver just to check for a driver's license).

DocWalker

Here we go - 4th amendment question - can police demand to see license absent reasonable suspicison of crime affot.

S. Ct. said no in Delaware v. Prause (police violate 4th amendment if, absent reasonable suspicion of crime afoot, they stop a vehicle driver just to check for a driver's license).

I smell a big payday at tax payer expense....

CTSurvivor

Scott, a long time friend to me attempted to meet with an attorney who shall remain nameless at this moment. This attorney refused an initial consultation unless he forked over $350.
Keep this in mind when OCing. It cost money to fight stupidity!

Rich B

Scott, a long time friend to me attempted to meet with an attorney who shall remain nameless at this moment. This attorney refused an initial consultation unless he forked over $350.

Indeed, and we remind people about this constantly. No one should be expected to work for free, and few typically do.

$350 is well spent if the facts are true, and it is going to cost a lot more depending on how far the prosecution takes this.

davidmcbeth

Banned

$350 ! You can file a compliant for that ! Just copy-paste a successful one, changing names and dates etc .. monkey see, monkey do ...

Edward Peruta

Another lame suggestion by David Godbout aka davidmcbeth

davidmcbeth,

You've got to be kidding or just posting information to again add to you post totals.

It is a lame suggestion that someone file a federal or state case pro se if they don't have any legal experience or support.

Are you going to offer your time and expertise to assist the individual in all the aspects of federal or state litigation or send him forward on his own?

How many hours or days will he be required to miss from work to prosecute his civil case?

Will any defendant's require that he post a bond?

What is his current financial situation which the court would or could consider in lowering his court costs?

Without knowing the individuals, their resources, or their understanding of the courts, it is insane to suggest that they file a lawsuit without legal counsel.

As for the criminal charges, the first step is to address the arrest based on the facts available in an attempt to get a dismissal on the charges without conditions.

I agree that there is NO stop and identifyin CT but also know that law enforcement officers are not trained in firearm related law.

The individual should first request legal and financial assistance from the state groups that have solicited and raised funds for legal purposes I know that both the CCDL and Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen have publicized seperately and now as a group, the fact that they have raised substantial fundsfor legal matters.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, if a person has limited $$$ and no lawyer will take on the case on consignment and no one is going to help them when what is that person's option?

Filing pro se is the option or dropping the matter all together.

Easy? No. Extremely difficult? No. Time consuming? All depends on the pro se litigant ~ it can be extremely time consuming with dozens of court appearances ~ or it can only require a few days in court. Some motions and requests can be done on take papers in CT...so one can mitigate the time needed for court appearances.

Lawyers like to say that special skills are needed but in reality the skill set is just one of understanding basic concepts and having the ability to read an comprehend the written language. For a couple of counts in a complaint .. minimal case law is usually needed to be found. Lawyers go to law school to prepare them for any type of case ~ a pro se litigant is usually looking a a sliver of the possible types of case that can be filed and of a very focused cause of actions.

And most civil cases are settled before trial ~ so one only needs to get over the dismissals and summary judgment phases pre-trial and get through discovery.

The CT Practice Book is online, case files of similar types of causes of action are usually available for review, etc.

As with most jobs, the skill set needed to be in the job is wide ... like a plumber~I'm not a plumber. But I did remove and install a new boiler...a single task that a plumber learns formally and one that would have cost me $$$ to expend to hire a plumber. But an average person could do this if they wanted to or had to.

The OP balked at paying $350 ... if he has limited funds then filing pro se is an option to consider.

Facts are facts and the law is the law ... these are both factual things. If you can show facts at trial to support your counts then that's all anyone can be expected - high priced lawyers, low priced lawyers, pro se litigants.

mark-in-texas

"If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you." Last line of the Miranda warning. Public defender might not be the best legal representation but it's better than none at all.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The individual should first request legal and financial assistance from the state groups that have solicited and raised funds for legal purposes I know that both the CCDL and Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen have publicized seperately and now as a group, the fact that they have raised substantial fundsfor legal matters.

The gentleman can certainly look to others for help. The guy should post results of asking for this assistance.

People file pro-se cases everyday throughout the USA. Maybe the guy can do it, maybe not. I don't personally know the guy. But I cannot say that he can't and offered the suggestion.

For me, civil suits are all about $$$. Not to "teach a lesson" not to "clear my name" ... except for admin review cases (zoning etc.) against a governmental party ~ otherwise its all about $$$. So the guy should look and see how much $$$ would he win. Any case that has facts to support the claims could get a small chunk of change just to settle. It costs $$$$ (for those with lawyers) to take a case from nothing to the end of a trial. It costs much much less for a pro se litigant. One can always start pro se and then get a lawyer too...so self representation is not a all-or-nothing proposition.

H8Rain

Does anyone know if they had the June 18th court date? Just curious what the outcome of this will be.

Kopis

Im kind of torn here. On bike nights in downtown Memphis, officers will check everyone for M endorsement and insurance which is kind of annoying but they seem to catch a lot of people without them. If an officer just wants to make sure you are properly trained and permitted to carry the firearm, what is the big deal? At the same time though, i wouldn't want to be harassed just because i have a firearm. Cops don't pull me over just because i'm sitting in a fast car at a stop light and i "could" speed. There are definitely pros and cons to each side of it.

Of course i do live in the South and this is an unlikely scenario of people "pointing" at you because you have a firearm, however we are required to show the permit to an LEO upon request.

SwampLedge

Im kind of torn here. On bike nights in downtown Memphis, officers will check everyone for M endorsement and insurance which is kind of annoying but they seem to catch a lot of people without them. If an officer just wants to make sure you are properly trained and permitted to carry the firearm, what is the big deal? At the same time though, i wouldn't want to be harassed just because i have a firearm. Cops don't pull me over just because i'm sitting in a fast car at a stop light and i "could" speed. There are definitely pros and cons to each side of it.

Of course i do live in the South and this is an unlikely scenario of people "pointing" at you because you have a firearm, however we are required to show the permit to an LEO upon request.

We have a constitutional right to bear (carry) arms. Nowhere in the Bill of Rights is the right to ride a motorcycle specified.

davidmcbeth

Banned
what is the big deal? .

how about they come into your house to check for violations of the law ... after all, they'll catch people then too

checkpoints, stops, w/o even having any suspicion that the guy is a criminal is simply wrong.

you want to be stopped how often? daily, hourly, every 10 min? Me? Never.

reddn

We have a constitutional right to bear (carry) arms. Nowhere in the Bill of Rights is the right to ride a motorcycle specified.

Yeah, I'm from out of state, but how does riding a motorcycle effects your 4th amendment rights.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2