• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Advocate Arrested

ARADCOM

Last edited:

gsx1138

Tyler Visser was arrested in Lynden yesterday for brandishing and firing a shot into the ground according to a story in todays Bellingham Herald. Tyler organized the North Fork cleanup in May of this year.

The article doesn't mention whether he was OC'ing at the time of the incident which involved a ex-girlfriend.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010/08/20/1579903/pistol-fired-in-fight-on-lynn.html

Need more info.

But if the article is true. Why can't people just leave sh!t alone? I mean, you really have to drive over to your Ex's house? This sounds like stupid middle school crap that adults should be ashamed of. And of course this is an example of where one guy is going to paint our entire community with the batsh!t crazy brush.

Last edited:

ARADCOM

More Info

Need more info.

More info is that it's going to be some negative publicity for OC. This is the last comment on the Herald site:

I just wanted to note that Mr. Visser has appeared in these pages before for his good works in connection with opencarry.org - it's under the subhead "GUN-LOVERS DE-LITTER SHOOTING AREA" in this June 6 article: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010/06/06/1463019/out-about-t-shirt-sale-benefits.html. Opencarry.org describes itself as "a pro-gun Internet community focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life." For example, those occastions when you need to drive your wife to somebody's house so she can beat them up.

Read more: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010/08/20/1579903/pistol-fired-in-fight-on-lynn.html#ixzz0xGIOCx4B

amlevin

Words just can't describe this guy. This will have to do:

dumb_ass.gif

If people continue doing things like this they WILL make "Stupid" a felony.

Last edited:

alispissed

Ha ha

There goes his option of gun ownership! What a great example he has been for Open Carry!
Really !!

Thanks alot Dickhead!

JoeSparky

Centurion
I have heard that Abraham Lincoln said, "I will stand by a man as long as he is right, but if he is wrong he will stand alone."

IF the incident is as reported then I am afraid he shall stand alone!

Aryk45XD

You've got to be kidding me.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was woman to woman and he got thrown in the middle. Hopefully there was a recording. I'll wait for more information to come out.

oneeyeross

This could easily turn into a domestic violence arrest and then, the stuff will really overwhelm him....

Don't go over to your ex's house with your hand gun! Don't do it! NEVER!

ARADCOM

People who live in glass houses shouldn't...

There goes his option of gun ownership! What a great example he has been for Open Carry!
Really !!

Thanks alot Dickhead!

I think if you want to see a "Dickhead" you need only look in a mirror, but you'll probably need a magnifying glass also.

Did he make a mistake? You betcha!
Was it a stupid mistake? No doubt about that.
Will he end up paying for it and regretting it for a long time? No doubt about that.

But, all he did was make a stupid mistake. And I'm pretty sure I've made a couple of those in my lifetime. I've never met Tyler but from what I read about the North Shore cleanup he organized and his other posts he sounds like a regular guy who shares a lot of views with the rest of us. He's a family man (although it appears his wife might have a few issues) with a 6 year old son and I don't think he deserves some of the comments that are being posted.

You don't want to stand up for him or stand behind him? Well, I probably don't either. But I'll be damned if I'm going to kick him just because he's down.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
But, all he did was make a stupid mistake. And I'm pretty sure I've made a couple of those in my lifetime.

It is more then stupid it is criminal ! and there is no justification if this is how it played out.

If you say you have made mistakes at this in the past, then you are in the same boat. Sink or Swim as there is usually no second chances in these cases.

flb_78

Did he make a mistake? You betcha!
Was it a stupid mistake? No doubt about that.
Will he end up paying for it and regretting it for a long time? No doubt about that.

But, all he did was make a stupid mistake. And I'm pretty sure I've made a couple of those in my lifetime.

I've made some stupid decisions in my life, but none were mistakes. Each was a deliberate decision on my part, but I have NEVER placed a loaded gun to someone's head.

If the news report is accurate, then he deserves to be locked up for a while.

rotty

Before people get all worked up .. are we sure what we are reading in this article is ALL THE FACTS ? I do not know the man in question but I do know I would expect my peers to be sure the whole story was told before judgement was passed on me. I'm pretty sure the news outlet responsible did not have a chance to get both sides before writing this article.

Treating someone how you want to be treated seems like common sense to me.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Psssst. Guys. This sort of thing is gonna happen.

We advocate for the right of all to possess the means to defend themselves. Naturally, a small percentage of "all" are going to abuse that right.

The solution is to be ready for it, to have thought through on what position you are going to take.

Bear in mind we really don't know much about the event, so we don't really know whether Tyler abused the right.

Even if some of the information is true, it could be a much smaller abuse/offense than alleged. Consider that your wife gets into an argument, then a fight, then is being injured enough to need hospital treatment. Is it really all that unnatural to seize the beater and put a gun to their head. Or, fire a shot into the ground to snap everyone out of their rage and call a halt to the proceedings? Before you learned all the angles about armed self-defense from thoughtful authorities familiar with the law, would such actions, under stress, be totally outside your snap-decision making? If this was the scenario that played out, and I am not saying it was, I would suspect an untrained person who unconsciously relied in the stress of the moment on the only other source of "education" in our culture--TV and movies. Again, I am not saying any of this is what happened. I am literally only offering it as perspective to show that allegations are not facts. Don't forget, we've all seen some government try to twist simple open carry into brandishing. There is no reason to think government would not twist a misguided self-defense scenario into something it wasn't.

So, lets wait and see. Or, try to find out.

In the meantime, I think we play into the anti-gunners hands if we get defensive over allegations. Or, if we abandon Tyler before we hear the whole story. No sense in reacting, or feeling guilty or tainted just because our opponents gleefully convict someone before the facts are in. Its their premature conclusion, not ours.

For myself, I might only write, "If the facts turn out to fit the allegations, such actions are not condoned by open carriers. I find it interesting that some people have already concluded the allegations are true in all regards, before the investigation is complete and before anybody has heard from the arrestee. I wonder what is their agenda, with the understanding that having an agenda is still better than believing everything they hear."

Last edited:

joeroket

This could easily turn into a domestic violence arrest and then, the stuff will really overwhelm him....

Don't go over to your ex's house with your hand gun! Don't do it! NEVER!

No it won't. Domestic violence is defined as acts of violence between one family member or household member and another. An assault on an ex-girlfriend who does not reside with him does not qualify.

Remember guys people embellish stories and until this guy is given his fair trial the outcome will remain unknown.

Jeff Hayes

Tyler Visser was arrested in Lynden yesterday for brandishing and firing a shot into the ground according to a story in todays Bellingham Herald. Tyler organized the North Fork cleanup in May of this year.

The article doesn't mention whether he was OC'ing at the time of the incident which involved a ex-girlfriend.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010/08/20/1579903/pistol-fired-in-fight-on-lynn.html

If the reporting is accurate (big If) Mr Visser is not an OC advocate he is a crimminal and needs to spend some time in jail and lose his ability to own firearms forever.

ARADCOM thanks a lot for the title of your post, your post title does as much harm to OC as Mr Visser just did. You could have used a lot of things for a title except for "OC advocate Arrested". Simply reporting the arrest and supplying a link would have been great.

No amount of training can repair a lack of common sense, you probably believe hard core criminals can be rehabilitated too, there are some things you just cant fix.

sudden valley gunner

Psssst. Guys. This sort of thing is gonna happen.

We advocate for the right of all to possess the means to defend themselves. Naturally, a small percentage of "all" are going to abuse that right.

The solution is to be ready for it, to have thought through on what position you are going to take.

Bear in mind we really don't know much about the event, so we don't really know whether Tyler abused the right.

Even if some of the information is true, it could be a much smaller abuse/offense than alleged. Consider that your wife gets into an argument, then a fight, then is being injured enough to need hospital treatment. Is it really all that unnatural to seize the beater and put a gun to their head. Or, fire a shot into the ground to snap everyone out of their rage and call a halt to the proceedings? Before you learned all the angles about armed self-defense from thoughtful authorities familiar with the law, would such actions, under stress, be totally outside your snap-decision making? If this was the scenario that played out, and I am not saying it was, I would suspect an untrained person who unconsciously relied in the stress of the moment on the only other source of "education" in our culture--TV and movies. Again, I am not saying any of this is what happened. I am literally only offering it as perspective to show that allegations are not facts. Don't forget, we've all seen some government try to twist simple open carry into brandishing. There is no reason to think government would not twist a misguided self-defense scenario into something it wasn't.

So, lets wait and see. Or, try to find out.

In the meantime, I think we play into the anti-gunners hands if we get defensive over allegations. Or, if we abandon Tyler before we hear the whole story. No sense in reacting, or feeling guilty or tainted just because our opponents gleefully convict someone before the facts are in. Its their premature conclusion, not ours.

For myself, I might only write, "If the facts turn out to fit the allegations, such actions are not condoned by open carriers. I find it interesting that some people have already concluded the allegations are true in all regards, before the investigation is complete and before anybody has heard from the arrestee. I wonder what is their agenda, with the understanding that having an agenda is still better than believing everything they hear."

+1
Thanks for being a voice of reason.

I am not sure what happened here, but do know Tyler's ex has been harassing him and his family for sometime now. And I know Tyler personally and know he is a good guy. Maybe he was there to pick up his child. Damn this worries me on so many levels.

The rest of you who love to be so judgmental may you be judged the same way someday.

Last edited:

j2l3

joeroket posted:

No it won't. Domestic violence is defined as acts of violence between one family member or household member and another. An assault on an ex-girlfriend who does not reside with him does not qualify.

This is actually incorrect. The correct definition of a domestic relationship where one can be arrested for domestic violence is....

RCW 26.50.010

Definitions.

</B>As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings given them:

(1) "Domestic violence" means: (a) Physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or the infliction of fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury or assault, between family or household members; (b) sexual assault of one family or household member by another; or (c) stalking as defined in RCW 9A.46.110 of one family or household member by another family or household member.

(2) "Family or household members" means spouses, domestic partners, former spouses, former domestic partners, persons who have a child in common regardless of whether they have been married or have lived together at any time, adult persons related by blood or marriage, adult persons who are presently residing together or who have resided together in the past, persons sixteen years of age or older who are presently residing together or who have resided together in the past and who have or have had a dating relationship, persons sixteen years of age or older with whom a person sixteen years of age or older has or has had a dating relationship, and persons who have a biological or legal parent-child relationship, including stepparents and stepchildren and grandparents and grandchildren.

(3) "Dating relationship" means a social relationship of a romantic nature. Factors that the court may consider in making this determination include: (a) The length of time the relationship has existed; (b) the nature of the relationship; and (c) the frequency of interaction between the parties.

Last edited: