• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado Forum, Lingering Belmar Thoughts!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
While a group of us met at Belmar this past Sunday, one observation was that this particular board is rather quiet.
I ain't sure how many Coloradoans are members here, but I suspect there are a whole bunch that mostly lurk without posting much.
It is difficult for me to believe there are only maybe 10 active posters here from the great state of Colorado.
We speculated on why this is so, and hope some folks will step up and contribute to this particular board.

Another observation is how motivated folks are back east when it comes to their right to OC.
We don't see many people OC in Colorado, and don't see much activism to support OC either.
Sure, we have our 'meet and greet' type deals, but let's consider how active folks are in Virginia or Wisconsin.

Wisconsin just got their CCW law enacted, leaving only Illinois without any recognition of a citizen's right to carry: No OC, no CCW.
They've been fired up over there, and Virginia is always fired up because they dearly embrace their right to open carry.
In Colorado, OTOH, there seems to be a degree of complacency. Either we take our right for granted, or don't care enough to exercise it.
When a Coloradoan gets harassed for carrying, we don't rally behind them as they do in other states.

Being a relative newcomer to the OCDO forum, and being fairly new to the practice of OC'ing in general, I wonder why we don't do more to promote OC in Colorado? I'm going to offer a few examples here:

1. Do we set up a table at a gun show to promote OC in Colorado?
2. Is anybody distributing pamphlets to advocate for OC in Colorado?
3. Do any of us actually contact our state legislators to promote OC and ensure our rights to continue doing so?
4. Do we gather a group to visit public events to distribute flyers or otherwise promote OC in Colorado?
5. When confronted with a curious citizen about OC'ing, do we hand them a pamphlet to educate on OC?
6. Do we spend time talking with LEAs about OC to help ensure we have an understanding of our right to OC?
7. Do we volunteer to help at public events where we may OC to help raise awareness of OC?
(i.e.: help as course marshall at bicycle or running events, help out with search parties trying to locate lost persons, etc?)

These are just a few things right off the top of my head.
At least, minimum, it would be terrific if we had some sort of pamphlets or flyers we could share with other citizens curious about OC'ing.
Do we even have such a resource available?

What are your thoughts?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

DinFreemont

Howdy Folks!
While a group of us met at Belmar this past Sunday, one observation was that this particular board is rather quiet.
I ain't sure how many Coloradoans are members here, but I suspect there are a whole bunch that mostly lurk without posting much.
It is difficult for me to believe there are only maybe 10 active posters here from the great state of Colorado.
We speculated on why this is so, and hope some folks will step up and contribute to this particular board.

Another observation is how motivated folks are back east when it comes to their right to OC.
We don't see many people OC in Colorado, and don't see much activism to support OC either.
Sure, we have our 'meet and greet' type deals, but let's consider how active folks are in Virginia or Wisconsin.

Some is the influx of serious statists who are very anti-gun, most from the west coast and are residing in Denver and other high income areas. The other is that outside of Denver and Springs the crime is very low, many don’t see a reason to OC or CCW.

Being a relative newcomer to the OCDO forum, and being fairly new to the practice of OC'ing in general, I wonder why we don't do more to promote OC in Colorado? I'm going to offer a few examples here:

1. Do we set up a table at a gun show to promote OC in Colorado?

That may be a great idea, lots of gun owners in one place, face to face.

2. Is anybody distributing pamphlets to advocate for OC in Colorado?

Something that states that .gov study that shows that criminals NEVER OC and (almost) never use a holster even CC- OC is an almost guarantee that no funny business is afoot.

3. Do any of us actually contact our state legislators to promote OC and ensure our rights to continue doing so?

Have not.

4. Do we gather a group to visit public events to distribute flyers or otherwise promote OC in Colorado?

Possible, or even pick a spot to do a “road side” trash collection as a “community service” with a meeting also...

5. When confronted with a curious citizen about OC'ing, do we hand them a pamphlet to educate on OC?

Was in Walmart yesterday, and a week or two ago walked all around Creede and same thing - nothing, I don’t even know if anyone said anything.

6. Do we spend time talking with LEAs about OC to help ensure we have an understanding of our right to OC?

Tried, local PD is difficult to get into a meeting - no LEO here has bothered to say anything if anything was even noticed.

7. Do we volunteer to help at public events where we may OC to help raise awareness of OC?
(i.e.: help as course marshall at bicycle or running events, help out with search parties trying to locate lost persons, etc?)

More good ideas.

Do we even have such a resource available? (flyers)

I could help with that, I have the CS programs from Adobe and know how to use them.

Polynikes

It's the altitude. The lack of oxygen up here makes us all docile and lethargic. :lol: Those east coast people are at SEA LEVEL! Imagine what we could do with that. :p

Btw, I'd love to have someone proficient in the arts make up some Colorado specific "No Guns=No Money" cards for local businesses, in addition to pamphlets we could hand out to those who are OC curious.

Last edited:

skopro

Yeah , i also have Adobe and everything that goes along with that. I guess if you wanted to get a little more awareness i would suggest a t-shirt.
I remember another group of individuals in South bay had a white shirt with the words "ask me" with a URL. We could do something similar and the cost would be very
inexpensive, i have a store front which was setup for some t-shirts i did for another group. I think the cost for the simple design of this sort would be around 20$ per shirt.
I would suggest a white shirt to contrast with the Black color of your rig, this would get more attention.

some examples :

http://www.zazzle.com/armed_sovereign_criminals_dont_open_carry_tshirt-235838457274752289

http://www.zazzle.com/up_front_open_carry_right_handed_tshirt-235938416294720051

south bay open carry.
http://www.cafepress.com/+south_bay...code=affiliate&utm_source=froogle&pid=6673073

If someone had questions or needed more info, a business card/pamphlet of some sort with the URL could be given.

Last edited:

livetrapper13

Speaking for myself, I just took my gun rights for granted out here, because its still the 'good ol west', but after my first year of college in NY (for the school, not the state!) I realized just how fortunate we are with our gun laws; compared to NY. There one must have a pistol permit just to own a handgun! So when I got back to CO for the summer, I put a pistol on my hip and started OCing. My point being, we (or at least I) take our rights for granted, and don't believe they will ever be taken.

As far as spreading the word goes, what if we were to make up business cards, with this forum's and other helpful OCing websites (RMGO etc...) URL's and maybe even articles 3 & 13 printed on the back; and just carry a few around with us? Then if a citizen asks about it, we could just give them one of the cards. I don't think I would carry a pamphlet around with me all the time, but I could keep a business card in my wallet.

Volunteering is a great idea, especially Search and Rescue or a trash cleanup.

EDIT: Didn't realize Skopro already said the business card idea. Guess I read through the posts too fast!

Last edited:

skopro

I grew up in Buffalo,NY. So i know first hand all the sh1t my family and i went through, including running away from our house when i was about 11 or so. In NY your obligated to exit and run from your home
if you have a way out eg, a back door if an intruder gets in. I find that completely unacceptable, but anyway.

Yeah, i was leaning more towards business cards because of their size and ease of carry, but i really think the shirts would help alot.
First of all, your advertising your intentions; advocacy for the 2nd amendment. Also, having the shirt makes you more approachable
and ppl will be more likely ask about it, ppl that are only curious will know that your just citizen ,and that will be enough for them whether they agree with you on the issue or not.
The designs could be endless, and when i have some time i'll whip out some samples for ppl to look over.
The Colorado constitution could very well be printed on the back if need be,but that also raises costs. There is no minimum order for most of these places, so no obligation for the rest of the group.
I don't see why ppl couldn't have different designs as well,some with the constitution some without. Polos, hats, cheap shirts. Once the design is in place you can put it on anything;with the limiting factor your budget.

Last edited:

mahkagari

Some is the influx of serious statists who are very anti-gun, most from the west coast and are residing in Denver and other high income areas. The other is that outside of Denver and Springs the crime is very low, many don’t see a reason to OC or CCW.

The other thing is that outside of Denver and the Springs the POPULATION is very low. Back east the population is much denser and the states much smaller in area. Comparing any of the states in the midwest to the northeast in particular is apples to oranges.

Being "visible" in CO is a taller order. Colorado Springs is how far from Loveland, Brighton, the eastern plains, or even Boulder or Denver? Compared to Vermont, the Springs may as well be in a different state. In the time it takes you to drive from Ft. Collins to the Springs, you'd pass through three states out there.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a long heartfelt post with more about CO's population being spread out and OC not being an issue here and how RMGO has cards already and OCDO probably has shirts and owns this URL and my fricken computer ate it!!!!!!!!

TheLittleMan

I'm glad this topic was brought up. It keeps slipping my mind to tell you guys that I actually talked to my moms Husband about making us some OC shirts and Shirts I could distribute. He has his own printing business he's trying to get off the ground so he would be glad to help.

I didn't realize at the time that OC.org had a store where they sell shirts and various other items with their Logo and URL, so I will definitely purchase one to support this site and it's cause. However, I still want to have our own shirts made with certain things like Article 2, sections 3 & 13 of colorado's state constitution on the back. Also business cards wouldn't be an issue and we could put whatever we wanted on those. We would have to pay for materials and give him a little something for his time but it would be much cheaper than buying a handful of opencarry.org shirts; also they would be more personal for our specific state.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I like the idea of a Colorado-specific shirt! Perhaps it could include the full text of the 2A across the top or around, in a circle, then the list of applicable sections from the C.R.S.

GvdM

OK, gave it some thought. I do not post often and possibly it is because I have trouble relating to a lot of the experiences related in the forums. Let me explain.

My fathers best friend from the army (WWII) was a sheriff and from the time I was about 8 years old he he taught me to hand reload cartridges. when my dad and mom visited I would plop myself down at the workbench in the basement and reload 38's for Jim while my parents and Jim and his wife would have coffee and talk upstairs. I learned early and always just looked at firearms as tools. This was in New Jersey of all places. I started going to the range shooting regularly at the age of 10 and remember running a paper route and buying the first rifle with my own money in a private sale and just taking it from a car in the downtown street where I met the guy I bought it from and carried it home in the open. Never an eyebrow was raised.I left NJ in 1975 and moved to Arizona. Bought my first handgun, a Dan Wesson 357 and started carrying daily. Got my first ccw in New Hampshire in 3 days, think it was $5, you just registered at the local police station. just a slip of paper, no picture or anything on it.

I have never had an encounter with LEOs or any comments or bad experiences with other citizens on the street. I can think of only two times I had regular citizens ask me about it and that was only recently, both in the last year, and both were just casual conversations from folk newly moved to Colorado. Both were casual conversations of little note.

Not sure why I have not had any issues. Maybe it is just the way I act, maybe luck, possibly a bit of both. It is just normal to me.

This is my best guess as to why I do not chime in often. I think I will try to post more. We shall see if I follow through.

bomber

I don't really OC anymore for various reasons. But when I did, I never had a problem, never had to explain myself to the ccops, never had to put up my hands slowly and kneel. Colorado has it pretty good and I think our attitude reflects that. maybe it's complacency, or maybe its just satisfaction?

The one change that I would like to see is for CO to pass a constitutional carry law. RMGO has been pushing this for about a decade but I don't really see a lot of organized support for it. That is one issue I could see myself taking time to come to rallies or whatever.

mahkagari

But when I did, I never had a problem, never had to explain myself to the ccops, never had to put up my hands slowly and kneel. Colorado has it pretty good and I think our attitude reflects that.

The one change that I would like to see is for CO to pass a constitutional carry law. That is one issue I could see myself taking time to come to rallies or whatever.

(snippage above)

That was part of my lost post. Other than the recent Bel-Mar incident and the one in Loveland with Billy, how many serious LEO issues get posted about? What are the problems in CO for everyone to come together and rally about? No one was even charged in those incidents and they were three years and 60 miles apart. Longmont recently banned OC in their city owned buildings. That's a 4 hour round trip for the El Paso contingent. Is it fair to ask people to come from all over the state for a local issue like that? How many people are traveling to show support against CU and CSU's campus bans?

There are plenty of people who CC. There's not an active movement to ban OC or restrict CC tighter. On one end of the spectrum there is the idea that "a right unexercised is a right lost". But it's not that there's NO ONE OCing. Just most people don't. And when they do, there is not an automatic MWAG call and disturbing the peace charge. The most people can complain about is needing to cover up in Bass Pro Shop.

I usually CC out of comfort. People in here seem restless that there aren't more people visibly OCing. But why? It's really a personal preference issue when it comes down to it. Really, in CO we may as well be arguing about fedoras versus baseball caps.

Last edited:

livetrapper13

OK, gave it some thought. I do not post often and possibly it is because I have trouble relating to a lot of the experiences related in the forums. Let me explain.

My fathers best friend from the army (WWII) was a sheriff and from the time I was about 8 years old he he taught me to hand reload cartridges. when my dad and mom visited I would plop myself down at the workbench in the basement and reload 38's for Jim while my parents and Jim and his wife would have coffee and talk upstairs. I learned early and always just looked at firearms as tools. This was in New Jersey of all places. I started going to the range shooting regularly at the age of 10 and remember running a paper route and buying the first rifle with my own money in a private sale and just taking it from a car in the downtown street where I met the guy I bought it from and carried it home in the open. Never an eyebrow was raised.I left NJ in 1975 and moved to Arizona. Bought my first handgun, a Dan Wesson 357 and started carrying daily. Got my first ccw in New Hampshire in 3 days, think it was $5, you just registered at the local police station. just a slip of paper, no picture or anything on it.

I have never had an encounter with LEOs or any comments or bad experiences with other citizens on the street. I can think of only two times I had regular citizens ask me about it and that was only recently, both in the last year, and both were just casual conversations from folk newly moved to Colorado. Both were casual conversations of little note.

Not sure why I have not had any issues. Maybe it is just the way I act, maybe luck, possibly a bit of both. It is just normal to me.

This is my best guess as to why I do not chime in often. I think I will try to post more. We shall see if I follow through.

I think some of use have grown up with firearms and view them as just another tool; we see no difference in having a pistol on our hip or a fence tool in our back pocket. To us it is just natural to have guns around, because they have their uses. But then there are people who have not been around firearms alot, but their minds were changed (for the better) due to an event that happened in their life. They now see the value in having a firearm handy, and carry daily.

Personally, I think cell phones are weird, and almost never use mine. If I want to talk to a friend I use a land line or get on the CB if I'm driving. Whereas others use their cell phones 24/7 and don't even have a land line.

Just my 2 cents

DinFreemont

I think some of use have grown up with firearms and view them as just another tool; we see no difference in having a pistol on our hip or a fence tool in our back pocket. To us it is just natural to have guns around, because they have their uses. But then there are people who have not been around firearms alot, but their minds were changed (for the better) due to an event that happened in their life. They now see the value in having a firearm handy, and carry daily.

Personally, I think cell phones are weird, and almost never use mine. If I want to talk to a friend I use a land line or get on the CB if I'm driving. Whereas others use their cell phones 24/7 and don't even have a land line.

Just my 2 cents

I was raised with guns, bows, fishing, and farming I fired my first shotgun hunting squirrels when I was 6 and was reloading starting about 8 or so all of the typical “man things” and was trained that weapons were a thing of responsibility and somehow the ethical and responsible use was tied to being a “man” it was a cultural thing.

I now refuse to get a CCW or carry concealed for a reason and it is both political and cultural I am completely unconcerned about anyone else's feelings or negative view of firearms - tough if they don’t like it. I don’t like loud obnoxious music, loud trucks roaring down the street, or trashy foul things on t-shirts - but it is that persons right and if I can put up with inane babbling and trash talk on a cell phone and purple hair they can put up with my right to carry my pistol.

That does not mean that I am obnoxious or rude when carrying, in fact if anything I am more gracious than normal when carrying if anything because I was raised that you are polite or get punished I am taken aback when someone is outright rude for no good reason because I never act that way.

And of course it helps to be in Colorado, or the inland west for that reason, guns just don’t get the reaction you would get in places like New Jersey.

Gunslinger

I like the idea of a Colorado-specific shirt! Perhaps it could include the full text of the 2A across the top or around, in a circle, then the list of applicable sections from the C.R.S.

How about "When you leave to go back to the PDR of Kalifornia, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."?

Gunslinger

(snippage above)

That was part of my lost post. Other than the recent Bel-Mar incident and the one in Loveland with Billy, how many serious LEO issues get posted about? What are the problems in CO for everyone to come together and rally about? No one was even charged in those incidents and they were three years and 60 miles apart. Longmont recently banned OC in their city owned buildings. That's a 4 hour round trip for the El Paso contingent. Is it fair to ask people to come from all over the state for a local issue like that? How many people are traveling to show support against CU and CSU's campus bans?

There are plenty of people who CC. There's not an active movement to ban OC or restrict CC tighter. On one end of the spectrum there is the idea that "a right unexercised is a right lost". But it's not that there's NO ONE OCing. Just most people don't. And when they do, there is not an automatic MWAG call and disturbing the peace charge. The most people can complain about is needing to cover up in Bass Pro Shop.

I usually CC out of comfort. People in here seem restless that there aren't more people visibly OCing. But why? It's really a personal preference issue when it comes down to it. Really, in CO we may as well be arguing about fedoras versus baseball caps.

That's the problem with living in a Free State--at least the El Paso County portion of it. Not a lot to complain about. I came here from VA, TX and NH respectively. I'm used to respect for the 2A as well as our other rights. Even when I was at Hanscom AFB, I had no problem getting a non-res MA CCW, as I had no problem getting a resident one when I actually made the PDR my domicile. I either CC or OC around here as I'm dressed for that day--without a second thought.

Gunslinger

I was raised with guns, bows, fishing, and farming I fired my first shotgun hunting squirrels when I was 6 and was reloading starting about 8 or so all of the typical “man things” and was trained that weapons were a thing of responsibility and somehow the ethical and responsible use was tied to being a “man” it was a cultural thing.

I now refuse to get a CCW or carry concealed for a reason and it is both political and cultural I am completely unconcerned about anyone else's feelings or negative view of firearms - tough if they don’t like it. I don’t like loud obnoxious music, loud trucks roaring down the street, or trashy foul things on t-shirts - but it is that persons right and if I can put up with inane babbling and trash talk on a cell phone and purple hair they can put up with my right to carry my pistol.

That does not mean that I am obnoxious or rude when carrying, in fact if anything I am more gracious than normal when carrying if anything because I was raised that you are polite or get punished I am taken aback when someone is outright rude for no good reason because I never act that way.

And of course it helps to be in Colorado, or the inland west for that reason, guns just don’t get the reaction you would get in places like New Jersey.
Your only problem is the PDR of Denver without a CCW. If you can live with staying the hell out of there--I can, you have no concerns.