• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3rd OC encounter with H.L.P.D.

thearmysredneck

I had my third encounter with a local today. I was at the corner store getting a pack of smokes and some go go juice today. I was wearing my glock 23 on my right hip in a serpa holster and 2 spare mags in my leather mag pouch on my left hip. There was a local cop in the store and he came out with me and " Hey look theres a fella with a gun. Hey man what kind of gun is that." I told him is was a glock 23 with the tritium sights. He said "Man that's nice, real nice. I like your style." I told him well thank you sir. And that was that. No I need to see your permit or ID OR NOTHING!! That's the third time in Horn Lake that this has happened. Glad my local guys are with the program. Now southaven on the other hand I've had been harassed twice. But I did get the Horn Lake chief some information on the Oath Keepers to and he put out some literature out in the officers room too so chalk this one up to the good guys.

MilProGuy

I had my third encounter with a local today. I was at the corner store getting a pack of smokes and some go go juice today. I was wearing my glock 23 on my right hip in a serpa holster and 2 spare mags in my leather mag pouch on my left hip. There was a local cop in the store and he came out with me and " Hey look theres a fella with a gun. Hey man what kind of gun is that." I told him is was a glock 23 with the tritium sights. He said "Man that's nice, real nice. I like your style." I told him well thank you sir. And that was that. No I need to see your permit or ID OR NOTHING!! That's the third time in Horn Lake that this has happened. Glad my local guys are with the program. Now southaven on the other hand I've had been harassed twice. But I did get the Horn Lake chief some information on the Oath Keepers to and he put out some literature out in the officers room too so chalk this one up to the good guys.

Outstanding report!

This is very encouraging for me, as I live just down the road from Horn Lake.

This is definitely one for the good guys!

Thanks.

Daylen

Good for you and good on the officer.

Please consider this small request, let your local LEA know about this officer, even if it just a "one of your officers, can't recall his name, but it was on this day and at this time/place..." kind of statement. Always give credit where credit is due, it does make a difference.

If the local LEOs are getting positive vibes from the citizenry, the word gets around. Cops talk to each other.

I go out of my way to compliment officers, on the spot, who comport themselves around armed citizens as this officer did to you.

These types of officer are unlikely to have 'bad days' and then 'take it out' on us armed citizens.

Disclaimer: Unless of course the higher-ups in your local LEA are anti-armed citizen, then keep your compliments between you and that officer, don't want him to get into trouble at work.

When giving complements you do not have to mention firearms; good behavior should be enough I would think.

Badger Johnson

Yes, I agree with the idea of catching a LEO doing something right and complimenting him to his superiors. Great report!

MKEgal

Definitely send a "caught being good" note to the Chief, even if you don't know the name. (Better if you do, so next time...) :)
I've done that for 1 local deputy & 1 local police officer.
Just got form letters in response, but at least the word was passed.

Tuesday I complimented an officer for a kind deed (in front of the city attorney & my lawyer... right after he'd been deposed in the 1983 suit against him & several other officers for behaving very badly toward me).
He didn't quite know what to do with it, but smiled & seemed pleased.

Complain (to management) when something is wrong,
compliment (person to or in front of management) when something is very right.
Works for all service people.

Brimstone Baritone

Tuesday I complimented an officer for a kind deed (in front of the city attorney & my lawyer... right after he'd been deposed in the 1983 suit against him & several other officers for behaving very badly toward me).
He didn't quite know what to do with it, but smiled & seemed pleased.

Complain (to management) when something is wrong,
compliment (person to or in front of management) when something is very right.
Works for all service people.

A lot of people do have this disconnect. It is likely that he takes the lawsuit personally, and thinks that you dislike him as a person or else you wouldn't be suing him. He probably doesn't understand that, regardless of your personal feelings toward him, the thing he did wrong deserves reprimand, and the unrelated thing he did right deserves recognition. None of it has to be personal.

Badger Johnson

A lot of people do have this disconnect. It is likely that he takes the lawsuit personally, and thinks that you dislike him as a person or else you wouldn't be suing him. He probably doesn't understand that, regardless of your personal feelings toward him, the thing he did wrong deserves reprimand, and the unrelated thing he did right deserves recognition. None of it has to be personal.

True but IME, few people have the alacrity to be like that.