• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WI State legislature wants to EXPAND school zone

H

Herr Heckler Koch

"school" includes only a facility that is dedicated to educational programming.

The truth is out, "programming" as education.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
I would suggest that we support this only if they do the following:
Paul, ARE YOU SERIOUS??? We should support this? We should SUPPORT further restriction on those who do NOT have a license/permit? REALLY?

I respectfully disagree. There is NO WAY any true freedom minded person should support this, NO WAY!

Edit: for grammar

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Paul, ARE YOU SERIOUS??? We should support this? We should SUPPORT further restriction on those who do NOT have a license/permit? REALLY?

I respectfully disagree. There is NO WAY any true freedom minded person should support this, NO WAY!

Edit: for grammar

Sorry, forgot my eyeroll.

The good thing is the only people signed onto this are Democrats.

As a side note, did you notice what I actually was asking for? I was making it so that CCL holders can carry IN SCHOOL!

I know we need to get rid of the Federal GFSZ but this at least would bring the WI in to line to being no MORE restrictive than the Federal one.

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

Sorry, forgot my eyeroll.

The good thing is the only people signed onto this are Democrats.

As a side note, did you notice what I actually was asking for? I was making it so that CCL holders can carry IN SCHOOL!

I know we need to get rid of the Federal GFSZ but this at least would bring the WI in to line to being no MORE restrictive than the Federal one.

I read the bill and I think I understand Huberts exclamation.

This would also inlcude DayCare faciliites that qualifiy as pre, 4, 5 Kindergarten and that would be alot of them.

I still agree with you Paul, ONLY if they Amend

948.605(2)(b)(1m) to "A person who possesses the firearm in accordance with 18 USC 922 (q) (2) (B) (i), (ii), (iv), (v), (vi), or (vii).

That would still be a loss of Rights and an advance or Privileges. I could live with it, if I had too. But understand, this would take us one step closer to not even being able to own a gun without a permit.

BROKENSPROKET

Partial quote

Schultz is a Republican. He might as well run as a Democrat and make it offical.

What the @!@!$. Schultz supported Constitutional Carry from the beginning and now he supports this. Maybe we could sart a petition to have him listed as Democrat is he won't run as one.

MKEgal

While I agree that any expansion of places is bad,
if WI law simply said "carried in agreement with 18USC922(q)(2)(B)" *,
and we could get rid of that federal code,
poof! magically we'd have (some) rights restored & people in places like Vermont (which doesn't issue licenses) or states which don't issue non-resident licenses wouldn't have to worry about potentially being slapped with a federal crime when all they did was drive their kid to school while being able to defend self & kid.

* Which, BTW, is on page 5 of that PDF, & in toto allows carrying by licensees AND U&E by non-licensees, even in buildings.
I can't find the bit that defines "school zone"... help? IIRC Federal law treats the building the same as 999' from the property, but I can't find the code supporting that idea.

Here's the actual text of AB500.
I started to say it does not include day cares, but then I searched the WI statutes for a definition of pre-kindergarten & can't find one... They define kindergarten, including 4K.
Besides, how many kindergartens are there that aren't already part of a K-whatever school?

[added a couple hours later]
I had a nice conversation w/ a lady at WI DPI [800 441 4563 press 6, ask for Jill Hagland]

I tried to get them to tell me
a) how many unattached pre-K & K4 there are in the state
and
b) what's the definition of pre-K [statute]

In reverse order:
b) She says there is no statutory definition of pre-K. THIS IS A PROBLEM

a) A pre-K can be privately run in a day care or other setting, but has to get public funding & meet statutory definitions.
A private school has to be multiple grades, so they're not included in the expansion problem of this law.

She told me there have been "pre-K" day cares which have tried to get "20mph school zone" signs on the road in front of their facility, & have been told they can't because they're not a school.

bigdaddy1

Why the funk can't they understand that you cant legislate safety, you can only educate safety?:cuss::banghead:

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Why ... can't they understand that you cant legislate safety, you can only educate safety?:cuss::banghead:
Does educating safety work better than educating grammar or calculus? I don't think so.

oliverclotheshoff

Does educating safety work better than educating grammar or calculus? I don't think so.

no it might not be BETTER but it would be better than nothing
but i do think there would be one hell if an interest in school if hey had a firearms safety course i had a archery section in gym class when i was in high school and i really paid attention during that part if gym class
some education is better than no education

Last edited: