• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing at the movies this weekend

GTShooter

Had a very productive Saturday,

Went to the shootist and fired a couple hundred rounds on the 9mm and on the 22LR. Guys at that locations are pretty cool. Place could use a new coat of paint and better ventilation but who's looking right? I didnt really understand their rule about calling the Range Master if you have a Miss feed on your weapon but its not a big deal.

After that my wife had told me she needed me to go to the bank so for the 1st time I went into my bank OC'ing. :S I wont lie, I was a bit nervous. I was asking my self when the patrons would hit the floor and a cashier would hit the panic botton ( I have a big imagination) anyhow, everything went just fine, a couple of people noticed my side arm but that was about it. No issue what so ever at the Wells Fargo Bank over by Wadsworth and Alameda in Lakewood.

In the afternoon I took my wife out to the movies (The new Snow white movie, I know its a chic flick but the villan was pretty hot). When we're about to leave I decide to hit the restroom. As Im washing my hands an older gentlemen approaches me and says: I hope you're a police officer.............

I tell him no I am not, why? He says: because of your..... and points at my Ruger. I replied back well its a right that the constitution gives me to keep and bear arms Sir (I didnt realize being comfronted about my side arm would also raise my heart beat, I know Im such a newbie). His response was well at least you should conceal it.... At that point I realized he was not interested in learning about Open Carry but he just felt uncomfortable with me OC my side arm. So instead of trying to chit chat with him in a restroom full of people I just told him...... Why? I dont have to and just left at that point.

I find it pretty amazing how people are just willing to give up their rights and then feel uncomfortable/upset when I decide to excersise mine.

Overall it was a good weekend to OC.

Last edited:

mwaterous

Had a very productive Saturday,

Went to the shootist and fired a couple hundred rounds on the 9mm and on the 22LR. Guys at that locations are pretty cool. Place could use a new coat of paint and better ventilation but who's looking right? I didnt really understand their rule about calling the Range Master if you have a Miss feed on your weapon but its not a big deal.

Not to derail the primary focus of your day, but that does seem like a bit of a deal. Do you run the chance of being reprimanded or removed if you don't (call the range master)? How do you practice clearing a malfunction, something that it isn't a bad habit to practice every time you're at the range? What if you clear it as an instinctual response?

mahkagari

Not to derail the primary focus of your day, but that does seem like a bit of a deal. Do you run the chance of being reprimanded or removed if you don't (call the range master)? How do you practice clearing a malfunction, something that it isn't a bad habit to practice every time you're at the range? What if you clear it as an instinctual response?

May be a CYA liability shield against a wrongful death suit if a GWAG shoots himself looking down his barrel.

mwaterous

May be a CYA liability shield against a wrongful death suit if a GWAG shoots himself looking down his barrel.

I'm sorry, I don't understand acronyms. Pretty much our whole language has turned into acronyms, so I've gotten far too lazy to look them all up. :)

I'm more curious what happens if you do clear one yourself, or if you can get in trouble for practicing clearing them. I tend to drop snap caps into random magazines just to catch myself up.

A new shooter may not know how to properly clear a malfunction. I imagine the rule is in place to make sure such things are done safely.

Gotcha, but where does the unsafe line get drawn? I would hope a person who has gotten as far as loading a fresh magazine and racking the slide had at least heard of the potential mishaps that could occur. Finger off the trigger and all that.

PS: I apologize again, not trying to derail your thread!! I'm just curious, and there's next to nobody in New Mexico so I'm invading Colorado.

Last edited:

mahkagari

I'm sorry, I don't understand acronyms. Pretty much our whole language has turned into acronyms, so I've gotten far too lazy to look them all up. :)

GWAG = Goof with a gun. People who give us a bad name.

I tend to drop snap caps into random magazines just to catch myself up.

I'll have to try that.

GTShooter

Its part of the topic I guess...... Lol no worries.

From what the Range Master told me it was by law they had to clear jams for you. I had one jam and called him. Not sure what would happen if I didnt. The guy next to me also called him about 3 times.

Bellum_Intus

Its part of the topic I guess...... Lol no worries.

From what the Range Master told me it was by law they had to clear jams for you. I had one jam and called him. Not sure what would happen if I didnt. The guy next to me also called him about 3 times.

Wow..that'd be tough for me as it's rather instinctual now for me to clear without thinking :S .. Too much training.. (yea, I have yet another class tonight for the Rangers lol )

--Rob

rushcreek2

The last movie theater that I patronized was showing " Dances With Wolves". What does that tell you ?

If I was absolutely compelled to attend a movie theater - I wouldn't OC.

If I am ever accosted in a men's room ANYWHERE over my armed condition, my response will probably be quite blunt , and to the point -

" I am in here to tend to MY OWN BUSINESS - how's about you do the same, my friend."

That's just about how that dialogue would have played out.

M-Taliesin

and there's next to nobody in New Mexico so I'm invading Colorado.

Howdy Pard!
You're welcome around these parts. I often invade New Mexico by the virtue of going there now and again. My wife and I enjoy visiting Taos and Albuquerque.
One of these days, I'd love to visit Roswell. That's another tale altogether.

Meanwhile, curiosity and asking questions is entirely welcome around these parts. We all can learn from one another, and together, we build a stronger OC community.

We have the same policy at my local range. Got a jam? Get the range master to deal with it.

I personally don't, but while clearing the problem (which isn't often, BTW) I am smart enough to keep the muzzle pointed downrange while clearing the problem.
The only problem I ever had was with my Ruger P-94. Otherwise, my other pistols all have worked flawlessly.

The rule problly exists for new shooters more than seasoned folks. That's my guess anyhow.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

If I am ever accosted in a men's room ANYWHERE over my armed condition, my response will probably be quite blunt ,

Howdy Pard!
Mine is a little tamer. If accosted about OC'ing by another citizen, my response is usually:
"I'm an L.A.C. prepared to do extreme violence in defense of my life, or yours if it should come to that!"

L.A.C. = Law Abiding Citizen.
Or: Legally Armed Carrier.
Or: Law Abiding Carrier.
Or: Legally Armed Citizen.
Or: Lawfully Authorized Carrier.

Or any variation that may come to mind at the moment.

Usually, when stating I am prepared to engage in extreme violence to defend my life or that of other innocent citizens, they are taken aback and rendered speechless.
They don't actually expect such a firm response to their question.

Mostly I try to engage them in a pleasant discussion, but much depends on their demeanor as to how I react.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
As Im washing my hands an older gentlemen approaches me and says: I hope you're a police officer.............

I tell him no I am not, why? He says: because of your..... and points at my Ruger. I replied back well its a right that the constitution gives me to keep and bear arms Sir (I didnt realize being comfronted about my side arm would also raise my heart beat, I know Im such a newbie). His response was well at least you should conceal it.... At that point I realized he was not interested in learning about Open Carry but he just felt uncomfortable with me OC my side arm. So instead of trying to chit chat with him in a restroom full of people I just told him...... Why? I dont have to and just left at that point.

Haven't had anyone tell me I needed to conceal it, yet. Just two who said it made them nervous/didn't like guns.

Should anyone say something similar to me, I've thought of my canned response: "Welcome to Colorado! And forty-three other states in our Union!"

eBratt

Not to derail the conversation, but I've had notoriously bad luck OCing at movie theaters. I'll admit though that I haven't tried in this state because of the bad run-ins in UT and WA. Are they generally OC friendly around here?

JamesB

Not to derail the conversation, but I've had notoriously bad luck OCing at movie theaters. I'll admit though that I haven't tried in this state because of the bad run-ins in UT and WA. Are they generally OC friendly around here?

Generally, yes. I intentionally avoid the ones located at the malls. I spend more time at the less expensive Elvis theatres. For first run I usually go to Belmar, here in Lakewood.

There is still the drive-in...

rushcreek2

The specific remarks directed towards GTshooter were interrogatory in form, and intended to elicit a defensive response. Such impolite behavior should never be rewarded.

Sometimes NO RESPONSE is the best response - particularly in a men's room where intrusive remarks are generally frowned upon, and not well received. I am not bashful, but I really don't like to use public restrooms if they can be avoided, and I attend to MY OWN BUSINESS while using such facilities with deliberation and promptness in order to make room for the next users.

I would not be generally receptive to being interrogated respective to any aspect of MY PERSONAL BUSINESS under such circumstances. I would be inclined to communicate my displeasure with a dismissive glance while proceeding about MY OWN PERSONAL BUSINESS. People who would assume such a posture are exhibiting evidence of an intrusive disregard for the privacy of others, as well as a superiority complex that should not be patronized.

Last edited:

GTShooter

Very true! At least he waited until I was finished......... you know, or maybe he was just more afraid of that weapon! :p

Deserteagle8338

I didnt really understand their rule about calling the Range Master if you have a Miss feed on your weapon but its not a big deal.

This is reason 999 why I do not go to shooting ranges. Im not going to let a stranger tell me what's best for me and my gun, and Im certainly not about to let a stranger touch my gun. Shooting ranges suck.

GTShooter

Ive done shooting now in both the National Forest and in the Range, I will have to say Ranges are a bit more easy to do. They are close to town (less gas) I dont have to read maps to make sure Im in NF, dont have to scout out before start my shooting to make sure there is no one around. Although I will continue to go to NF to practice I will also include shooting ranges in my routine. Just my Opinion.