• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Church?

JohnMoses

We have actually been doing Bible Studies at the Starbucks there...we weren't planning on doing those for the next few weeks.

Our regular services will be at a different location - we will post it soon as we are still negotiating with a couple of locations...trying to find an affordable yet not trashy place for a startup church isn't too easy.

You would think with all the thousands of empty locations in this valley folks would be a little more apt to work with potential renters.

We will likely be in a dance studio - open space with chairs and sound included, they are pretty ideal.

Keep us informed. I'm not sure how long it will take me to get there from home. I'll be living in Spring Valley. I'd like to get involved somehow.

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

Churches are privately owned property. No NRS affects private property w/ respect to possession of firearms. If a church desires to prohibit firearms, they are within their rights to ask you to leave and trespass you for refusing to comply with their request. That being said, Most church goers are probably not alarmed by someone carrying a firearm, so long as it is done in a responsible manner. You might be surprised to find out that, while you are one of a very select few who do not hide you firearm, there are more than a few people who carry to church. In the wake of the Sikh temple shooting in Wisconsin, More people should be Carrying where they worship, if you ask me.

Merlin

I remembered this today when I drove past ICLV.....

Don't overlook that many churches also have licensed daycares and schools. That WOULD present a problem of the legal variety. Then it would get tricky, as it depends on which part of the building is the school....

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Rollbar

Don't overlook that many churches also have licensed daycares and schools. That WOULD present a problem of the legal variety. Then it would get tricky, as it depends on which part of the building is the school....

Wouldn't that be PROPERTY and not building?

Merlin

Wouldn't that be PROPERTY and not building?

Well, yeah, if they have a campus. I was thinking of iclv, where I happen to know it is in the same building, or central christian, same.

So yes, what part of the property, not just building.

Rollbar

Well, yeah, if they have a campus. I was thinking of iclv, where I happen to know it is in the same building, or central christian, same.

So yes, what part of the property, not just building.

Correct me please if I am wrong, but if a daycare/school is on said property you can not carry on said property w/out permission-buildings have nothing to do w/it right?

Frantic84

Correct me please if I am wrong, but if a daycare/school is on said property you can not carry on said property w/out permission-buildings have nothing to do w/it right?

you are right!

I highlighted the pertinent parts:

NRS 202.265 Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school or child care facility; penalty; exceptions.
1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not carry or possess while on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, a private or public school or child care facility, or while in a vehicle of a private or public school or child care facility:
(a) An explosive or incendiary device;
(b) A dirk, dagger or switchblade knife;
(c) A nunchaku or trefoil;
(d) A blackjack or billy club or metal knuckles;
(e) A pistol, revolver or other firearm; or
(f) Any device used to mark any part of a person with paint or any other substance.
2. Any person who violates subsection 1 is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.
3. This section does not prohibit the possession of a weapon listed in subsection 1 on the property of:
(a) A private or public school or child care facility by a:

(1) Peace officer;
(2) School security guard; or
(3) Person having written permission from the president of a branch or facility of the Nevada System of Higher Education or the principal of the school or the person designated by a child care facility to give permission to carry or possess the weapon.
(b) A child care facility which is located at or in the home of a natural person by the person who owns or operates the facility so long as the person resides in the home and the person complies with any laws governing the possession of such a weapon.
4. The provisions of this section apply to a child care facility located at or in the home of a natural person only during the normal hours of business of the facility.
5. For the purposes of this section:
(a) “Child care facility” means any child care facility that is licensed pursuant to chapter 432A of NRS or licensed by a city or county.
(b) “Firearm” includes any device from which a metallic projectile, including any ball bearing or pellet, may be expelled by means of spring, gas, air or other force.
(c) “Nunchaku” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
(d) “Switchblade knife” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
(e) “Trefoil” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
(f) “Vehicle” has the meaning ascribed to “school bus” in NRS 484A.230.
(Added to NRS by 1989, 656; A 1993, 364; 1995, 1151; 2001, 806; 2007, 1913)

NRS 432A.024 “Child care facility” defined.
1. “Child care facility” means:
(a) An establishment operated and maintained for the purpose of furnishing care on a temporary or permanent basis, during the day or overnight, to five or more children under 18 years of age, if compensation is received for the care of any of those children;
(b) An on-site child care facility;
(c) A child care institution; or
(d) An outdoor youth program.
2. “Child care facility” does not include:
(a) The home of a natural parent or guardian, foster home as defined in NRS 424.014 or maternity home;
(b) A home in which the only children received, cared for and maintained are related within the third degree of consanguinity or affinity by blood, adoption or marriage to the person operating the facility;
(c) A home in which a person provides care for the children of a friend or neighbor for not more than 4 weeks if the person who provides the care does not regularly engage in that activity;
(d) A location at which an out-of-school-time program is operated;
(e) A seasonal or temporary recreation program; or
(f) An out-of-school recreation program.
(Added to NRS by 1991, 2300; A 1993, 870; 1997, 3322; 2007, 1191; 2011, 1996)

Last edited: