• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another newbie here

riddick

All,

Really nice forum with plenty of info! Hope to fit in and contribute.

We are currently moving from Henderson to Southern Highlands. Never owned guns, but even my wife is now convinced its time. Looking to buy a couple of handguns and a 12 GA next month, 22LR and hunting rifle (.300 WinMag?) soon after.

varminter22

... Never owned guns, but even my wife is now convinced its time. Looking to buy a couple of handguns and a 12 GA next month, 22LR and hunting rifle (.300 WinMag?) soon after.
Welcome aboard!

Nice choices. Although I might argue the .300 WinMag is a bit much for a beginner, unless you plan on hunting elk or bigger. For sure (in my humble opinion), it is not a "lets go to the range and shoot a few boxes of ammo" type rifle!

And don't forget, it is encumbent upon you to do some learning, familiarization, get proper training, etc!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Welcome! I look forward to seeing you on the range or in the coffee shop or just passing on the street!

riddick

Welcome aboard!

Nice choices. Although I might argue the .300 WinMag is a bit much for a beginner, unless you plan on hunting elk or bigger. For sure (in my humble opinion), it is not a "lets go to the range and shoot a few boxes of ammo" type rifle!

And don't forget, it is encumbent upon you to do some learning, familiarization, get proper training, etc!

Fully understand! Main reason I am buying a Savage 22LR to practice :) Maybe even an SR22 as well.

A friend of mine, big game hunter for decades now, has been trying to talk me into hunting, the only reason I am looking at such a large caliber. Won't be putting much through that rifle, and as is, it is the one I will be buying way after others. Looking at 9mm XDm and XDs for next month, Mossberg Flex next month as well, and then Savage 22LR afterwards. And truth be told, if I can find a nice AR15 for a good price that would be on my list way before I commit to a .300WinMag. But with all the insanity the past week or so, I cannot find an AR15, as you know.

riddick

Welcome! I look forward to seeing you on the range or in the coffee shop or just passing on the street!

Looking at ranges right now, too bad so many are tourist orientated. The one in Boulder seems to be the place to go?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Boulder Rifle & Pistol club is great, I used to go there often. Now, I prefer the Pro Gun Club between Boulder City and Henderson, near Railroad Pass. It's a more expensive membership, but also open everyday to non-members. The Boulder Club is better for private rifle bays, but the Pro Gun Club has a real clubhouse.

Both are great. You will find me at the Pro Gun Club much more often.

riddick

Boulder Rifle & Pistol club is great, I used to go there often. Now, I prefer the Pro Gun Club between Boulder City and Henderson, near Railroad Pass. It's a more expensive membership, but also open everyday to non-members. The Boulder Club is better for private rifle bays, but the Pro Gun Club has a real clubhouse.

Both are great. You will find me at the Pro Gun Club much more often.

Really appreciate the info, will look up the place.

The Big Guy

All,

Really nice forum with plenty of info! Hope to fit in and contribute.

We are currently moving from Henderson to Southern Highlands. Never owned guns, but even my wife is now convinced its time. Looking to buy a couple of handguns and a 12 GA next month, 22LR and hunting rifle (.300 WinMag?) soon after.

Welcome to the forum.

TBG

28kfps

300 WinMag? Plan on hunting buffalo? Just a little kidding. I use to go hunting with a friend who used a 300 WinMag, I was with him over the years to see him harvest several deer that were over 200 yard shots. Saw him drop one at 400 yards. The deer went down as if someone hit him in the head with a sledge hammer. I always thought it was a little over the top for hunting deer however made for a clean kill.
Welcome to the site.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Deer are easy to kill, but the trajectory of the .300 Win Mag sure gives you some confidence at 400+ yards, which is not unheard of in some of the middle NV hills, especially when you have to guess at the range. I've been on a few mountaintops where I was packing a .30-06 and looking at a few hills that I would have liked to have had the Magnum on. Naturally, I didn't see any deer that entire trip until the last day and I was in the Jeep only a half-mile from camp, and dropped him at 173 yards.

OC related, my previous deer was at 105 yards, from my OC'd .45 Colt Ruger Vaquero. That was a big deer, too. One thing about NV: we don't issue many deer and elk tags, but I would say that each hunter has a much better chance at a trophy in this state, if they actually get out and fill the tag.

Let me know if you need more info about the ranges.

www.deserthillsshootingclub.com
www.brpc1.org

Last edited:

28kfps

I took more deer with my scoped Ruger 44mag Red Hawk than my .06 none over 100 yards with the 44. I have a custom-made hip holster for it. Always got a few looks as I walked into the small rule northern NV towns’ restaurants they were use to seeing carried firearm just not large scoped one on the hip.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Welcome, I recently got a .300 win mag, I did not get fancy, I bought a Remington 770 at Wal Mart it came with a 3X9 familiar name scope and was $318.00 It does kick pretty good (about like a shotgun shooting 1600fps. slugs, but crisper) I recommend you beef up on the ear protection a little and wear a decent shooting jacket, with those precautions a rifle is a rifle is a rifle. You will not stop grinning when you see how impressed your buddy's are that you can take the rotors off your pickup, and stamp clean holes (vent them) at 100-150 yds. the power is very strong. The 770 has a synthetic stock and really no accy market, but is pretty neutral, and feels good (I am a average build.) The bolt cycles a little sticky at first, a little research will bring that up I ran some fine stainless steel wool over it and cycled it during the commercials while watching Duck Dynasty, it's fixed. Comes with a 3 round Mag. I got a few extra, and they were not very much each. overall I am happy I got a rifle that will do a job that my Ar's cannot, and it works well.