• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Family and I were asked to leave IHOP in lawton today by manager Kelly Day

SSG Riser1981

Hello fellow open carry community. Today my family and I decided to go to IHOP In lawton, OK. I will start by stating we drove up,it was packed, i went in wrote our names down to which they stated 15 minute wait so our family came inside and waited to be called. During our wait a woman entered with her child who noticed my wifes weapon on her hip and started making comments then complained to the manager. We were seated we ordered our food and we waiting, as we were waiting the same lady started to complain again as she was seated across from us. I heard the lady state she refused to pay for their meals if we were allowed to stay. The waitress went to the back and just as our food was ready we were asked by the waitress to remove our weapons and place them in our vehicles for the safety of the other customers. We told her no we would not place our weapons in our vehicles and will not eat here if that is what they want us to do. We asked who made the decision to have us remove our weapons and they told us it was their manager Kelly Day. I asked to speak to her to which we waited another 10 minutes till she came and saw us and explained she called her boss who made the overall determination to have us remove our weapons. She refused to give us his name. I them informed her we would post to our friends on Www.opencarry.org and www.okoca.org and friendorfoe also. The most offensive thing didn't happen until we were walking out she stated to the customers and employees that we were being made to leave for the safety of the customers and staff. My wife and I are both properly licensed to carry and are both active duty military. We have five children which four were with us today. We have called corporate and have yet to get a reply. Pass it along this is not a friendly place for for lawfully carried weapons and for law abiding citizens

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The most offensive thing didn't happen until we were walking out she stated to the customers and employees that we were being made to leave for the safety of the customers and staff. My wife and I are both properly licensed to carry and are both active duty military. We have five children which four were with us today. We have called corporate and have yet to get a reply. Pass it along this is not a friendly place for for lawfully carried weapons and for law abiding citizens

Antis even when they lie are not truthful and know NOTHING about safety. Hope you were not requested to pay for the meals - I would have asked that they be comped. Yes, please do follow up with corp, though it may be a local franchise policy.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Oh, she wants to play public relations image games by humiliating you?

Find the local restaurant review websites and write a review reporting her nasty little tactic. Be sure to highlight her lie about safety. And, be sure to mention your military backround.

Its one thing to exercise property rights and ask people to leave. Its something else entirely to publicly humiliate people.

I'd be inclined to find every website, the Better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce--every website and consumer group I could think of--and publicize this. And, don't separate out CCers. You can bet they don't want CCers since her words were "for customer's safety".

metz

although i wasnt humiliated , i was asked not to return with my weapon at petco, they had no sign up (i checked twice) i entered ask a employee what was there policy on oc/cc since she was starring at my gun, her reply was.. i dont know..so my wife and i procceded to shop, upon checking out she explained they did not want guns in the store but wouldnt give me managers name nor ask him/her to come speak to me, i tried to explain about cc/oc ut she kept repeating it just policy, so we went to feather'd affair which is located in muskogee they are all for oc/cc so i will be doing all my business with them, and thanks for shareing about ihop theywill go on my list of no business places

Glock 1st fan

All I can say guys is just hang in there. As hard as we are fighting to prove firearms are not bad at all there are those out there pushing to paint anyone who owns one as evil and demented. If confronted in public like that remember people are always watching and the one who shows their butt the most is the one every one laughs at. Stay professional and believe me people will begin to notice whos acting a fool and whos not.

This is a shame but hey its their loss not ours. We have money to spend on food. They need customers to spend money on food. Whos really hurting who?

RugerP95DC

although i wasnt humiliated , i was asked not to return with my weapon at petco, they had no sign up (i checked twice) i entered ask a employee what was there policy on oc/cc since she was starring at my gun, her reply was.. i dont know..so my wife and i procceded to shop, upon checking out she explained they did not want guns in the store but wouldnt give me managers name nor ask him/her to come speak to me, i tried to explain about cc/oc ut she kept repeating it just policy, so we went to feather'd affair which is located in muskogee they are all for oc/cc so i will be doing all my business with them, and thanks for shareing about ihop theywill go on my list of no business places

I have OC'd in Petsmart numerous times, their policy is to follow state law, I have never cared for PETCO.

I am also going to be emailing IHOP corporate and I will be calling IHOP in LAWTON tomorrow to have them explain their corporate policy to me over the phone. Dustin

Last edited:

Robert318

Hello fellow open carry community. Today my family and I decided to go to IHOP In lawton, OK. I will start by stating we drove up,it was packed, i went in wrote our names down to which they stated 15 minute wait so our family came inside and waited to be called. During our wait a woman entered with her child who noticed my wifes weapon on her hip and started making comments then complained to the manager. We were seated we ordered our food and we waiting, as we were waiting the same lady started to complain again as she was seated across from us. I heard the lady state she refused to pay for their meals if we were allowed to stay. The waitress went to the back and just as our food was ready we were asked by the waitress to remove our weapons and place them in our vehicles for the safety of the other customers. We told her no we would not place our weapons in our vehicles and will not eat here if that is what they want us to do. We asked who made the decision to have us remove our weapons and they told us it was their manager Kelly Day. I asked to speak to her to which we waited another 10 minutes till she came and saw us and explained she called her boss who made the overall determination to have us remove our weapons. She refused to give us his name. I them informed her we would post to our friends on Www.opencarry.org and www.okoca.org and friendorfoe also. The most offensive thing didn't happen until we were walking out she stated to the customers and employees that we were being made to leave for the safety of the customers and staff. My wife and I are both properly licensed to carry and are both active duty military. We have five children which four were with us today. We have called corporate and have yet to get a reply. Pass it along this is not a friendly place for for lawfully carried weapons and for law abiding citizens
I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience but glad you let us know. What nerve of some people, did you say anything to this lady? I think I would have asked her what makes her family so much more special than mine or that if she didn't like my gun to make sure she never calls the cops when she is being robbed because cops carry guns. And I might have even told her that she is in America not Great Britain or Japan and if she don't like guns maybe she should move there. What if we all complained and said we refuse to pay unless the other patrons were carrying weapons because we dont feel safe with all the defensless people, right what bs.:banghead:

Sorry for the rant but people like that really irritate me, they sure enjoy liberty but have no respect for it nor deserve it or even have understanding on what was used (blood, sweat, and GUNS) to obtain that which they take for granted and enjoy.*

Thank you and your wife for your service and may God bless you and your family.

Archerman99

Stuff like this just makes me sick. If they were not posted this was such the wrong way to handle a situation like this.

I too will be calling Ms. Kelly Day tomorrow and will contacting their corporate offices.
I know the IHop in Brickdown across from the ballpark has a gun buster on their door because I parked right in front of their store not to long ago while downtown, but we did not eat there, just happened to be a good parking spot.

-Justin

hrdware

Stuff like this just makes me sick. If they were not posted this was such the wrong way to handle a situation like this.

I too will be calling Ms. Kelly Day tomorrow and will contacting their corporate offices.
I know the IHop in Brickdown across from the ballpark has a gun buster on their door because I parked right in front of their store not to long ago while downtown, but we did not eat there, just happened to be a good parking spot.

-Justin

IHoP in Moore is not posted. Most IHoP's are franchised so this may be an owner decision. I do not know what their corporate policy is.

SSG Riser1981

IHOP reply

Well i got a reply back from their office in TX today. "Sir we do apologize for your treatment by the manager but in light of the recent killings in the country we have to look out for our employees and customers. I am a gun owner myself and believe you should be able to carry guns but if people are frightened we must react."
So i simply told her I see where you are coming from I mean if I saw a man and a woman with their 4 children (ages 6-12) walking into an IHOP with a firearm carried in its holster I would be scared too. I simply told her after that we respect IHOPS decision and will not frequent them again and I will also put it out to my fellow open and concealed carry friends that we are not welcome there

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I will again contact my local IHOP and tell them I will not be patronizing them until a apology is issued to OP in Lawton. Franchise owners sign an agreement to honor corporate policy, this behavior is uncalled for.

You should point out to the company that ALL of the recent shootings were in Gun Free Zones. LAC citizens actually LOWER their risk.

Last edited:

Keylock

Waffle House allows open carry. Prices are better and the service friendlier. Food may not be as great, but then we're only talking about pancakes which I can whip up better in my own kitchen if I weren't a lazy bastard. :)

SSG Riser1981

Waffle house

Waffle House allows open carry. Prices are better and the service friendlier. Food may not be as great, but then we're only talking about pancakes which I can whip up better in my own kitchen if I weren't a lazy bastard. :)

I miss waffle house where is there one in OK?

Keylock

I miss waffle house where is there one in OK?

The ones that I've patronized are at 1045 S. Meridian, on the west side by Christie's Toybox, the one at S. May and 1-240, the location in Midwest City at 1-40 and Sooner and the closest to me out in Yukon at 1-40 and Garth Brooks Blvd. I think there is one up on Memorial & Western.

I have deep fears of throwing up from when I was sick as a child~~~No Waffle House for me.

I ate at a WH in North Carolina several years ago. Came down with food poisoning. It took a few months before I went to WH again, but so far so good. :)

F350

I was asked to put my OC sidearm back in my truck at the one on Rangeline in Columbia MO, I told the manager I looked but didn't see a sign. He said it was on "The Yellow Sign " on the outside of the building: last item "NO WEAPONS".

Manager said it was corporate policy, I just told him I would put myself back in my truck while I was at it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Please don't ask about signs--if you ask, they will come.

Even if there is no sign, just treat the verbal request as a personalized sign. Meaning, instead of the notice coming by way of a sign, its coming as a verbal request.

I know there is an inclination to react by asking about a sign. I am convinced the reaction to ask about a sign arises from a defensive mood. But, think about it. There's really no obligation for a business owner to clutter up his storefront with signs. How many open carriers does he get? Are we really going to insist he puts up a sign instead of just asking those occasional OCers when they do show up? I'm not talking about states or localities that require a sign.

When you point out the lack of a sign, it just pushes back at the merchant. Now he's in a position to get defensive. It just opens the door to bad feelings, making it even harder to win him over or win him back. And, maybe he'll put up a sign that also denies discreet carriers their right to self-defense.

If anything, just politely recognize his property rights and leave. Discuss carry with him if you can. But, please leave signs out of it. A sign just feeds the anti-gunners. We've even had a report of anti-gunners in one locality going around or mailing no-gun signs. No sense in helping get signs put up.

Last edited: