• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just realized people carrying guns DOES increase chances of wild west shootout, IF...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealthyeliminator

Last edited:

Gallowmere

While you are correct, it would be a tough sell to make. The first thing that would be thrown back, is that police tend to deal directly with people who have violent tendencies, on a far more regular basis than the average armed citizen. Second, armed citizens have the option of turning a blind eye to bad things as they occur; the police generally do not have such a luxury (unless of course, it's one of their own up to the shenanigans, but that's for another forum).

On the other hand, police generally have far less fear of legal reprisal when it comes to letting the bullets fly, than does the average citizen. Accidentally kill an innocent by-stander while defending yourself, and you're in for a bad time. If an LEO does it, the odds are about 50/50 that he'll suffer very little direct consequence.

stealthyeliminator

You are absolutely right. Anyone who is less likely to be held accountable, and lacks the conscious to counter indifference, is less likely to consider the consequences of their actions and adjust accordingly. Not just cops, but some make a pretty good example of this

sudden valley gunner

Wild west was more civilized than the "civilized" east. :lol:

Its a good point though. It's not just the police for the reasons you mentioned above. Look at groups like Blackwater operating over seas.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Words worth remembering
icon14.png

Aknazer

Its a good point though. It's not just the police for the reasons you mentioned above. Look at groups like Blackwater operating over seas.

I was actually just refreshing myself on that earlier today. For anyone interested in a breakdown of it here's a link about the "Wild West" and they do mention the "civilized" east of the time.

http://www.guncite.com/wild_west_myth.html

stealthyeliminator

Yes, that's why I put 'wild west' in quotes :)

I just mean, what people fear will happen, with the bullets flying everywhere and all, that they usually refer to as a wild west type scenario, is more likely to become reality when a group a government agents get pissed off than when a LAC has to defend him or herself.

Just thinking back... I can recall 2 fairly recent incidents off the top of my head in which a cop was killed, and the retaliation of the police force put many innocent lives (not to mention private property) in danger. It's like, a cop got killed and the entire police force went out for blood, slinging bullets at every shadow of the suspect. :O

I just found it interesting because usually when someone goes down the wild west shootout trail, law abiding citizen carriers find themselves trying to defend, saying that would never happen, when the reality is that it'll probably never happen by them, but it could very well happen if someone kills a police officer.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Our RKBA has only partially to do with saving lives .. its main goal is to save our freedoms

Freedom ain't free. I just tell the antis to suck it up and take a bullet for me. :banana::banana:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thread drift was inevitable I guess, but not acceptable.

Going to close this down before it gets worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.