• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in NC

PATRIOT88

Banned
Are there ANY restaurants or places otherwise I can eat and/do work/research at without dealing with a sensitized idiot or someone telling me to disarm? Ive been here for awhile. Catawba and so far Hickory Train Station and the soup kitchen freak out at the sight of a secure, properly retained SHEATHED knife. Just trying to last the rest of the month without starving.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Are there ANY restaurants or places otherwise I can eat and/do work/research at without dealing with a sensitized idiot or someone telling me to disarm? Ive been here for awhile. Catawba and so far Hickory Train Station and the soup kitchen freak out at the sight of a secure, properly retained SHEATHED knife. Just trying to last the rest of the month without starving.

Moved your post - state specific questions belong in the proper state sub-forum.

I sense a lot of negativity - others in NC do not routinely experience what you describe.

nobama

Welcome Patriot88, I dont understand all the negatives you have been receiving. I have been OCing for about 8 yrs and have only had ONE negative encounter. I also carry several different places, different cities ect. Still, just dont understand.

PATRIOT88

Banned
neither do I understand it....dont know what the big deal is. thought this being the south/country, people wouldnt care. but so far Ive had to walk alot more than I should just to find somewhere to eat. maybe Catawba isnt such a good place for open carrying?

solus

welcome to the open carry forum...but i am confused...on the other NC thread you stated you were carrying a plastic gun? now you are stating you are carrying a knife?

sorry mate, if i was starving and the soup kitchen says you can't come in w/the knife...might wish to leave it outside???

just saying...

ipse

PATRIOT88

Banned
I almost asked an officer the same thing as I will ask you. Would you leave any arm, firearm or traditional/cold/historical unguarded for a felon or addict to grab and likely use for a crime or to get more drugs/money? That would be irresponsible.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I almost asked an officer the same thing as I will ask you. Would you leave any arm, firearm or traditional/cold/historical unguarded for a felon or addict to grab and likely use for a crime or to get more drugs/money? That would be irresponsible.

Would I give anyone money or means to acquire illegal items? Certainly not, but do not see how that is germane to this thread. Maybe you just omit too many details.

WalkingWolf

Where were you planning on leaving it? If YOU know that you are going to a gun free zone then use a vehicle so you can lock your arm/s in your vehicle. If you are on foot then the answer is also simple, avoid those business that are GFZ.

You are making your life wayyyyyy toooooo difficult, how old are you again?

PATRIOT88

Banned
Here's the thing. None of the places I listed have ANYTHING posted on the door or window about no arms or firearms. As such, they are just losing money by being cowards. None of the places I listed were gun free zones, the staff there are just cowards and sensitized fear mongers. Again, I thought this was the south and people would not care about armed individuals and thought more people would be De-sensitized.

WalkingWolf

Here's the thing. None of the places I listed have ANYTHING posted on the door or window about no arms or firearms. As such, they are just losing money by being cowards. None of the places I listed were gun free zones, the staff there are just cowards and sensitized fear mongers. Again, I thought this was the south and people would not care about armed individuals and thought more people would be De-sensitized.

That is odd, because in NC there have been very, very, very, very few instances as seems to happen to you a hell of a lot. There has to be a reason for it, and I don't think it has to do with private businesses being cowards.

You seem to have a way with people, and not in a positive way. Just sayin`

PATRIOT88

Banned
Well, I see no issue with walking into a restaurant, sitting down or being seated by staff, plugging in my laptop, getting online and ordering soft drinks, water and/or food 5-15 minutes as I have done. I did not threaten anyone...staff or management just saw what I carried one day and said I cannot patronize there anymore and am not welcome...I left and will not advise any other open carrier patronizes those places. As the saying goes, no defenses/security, no money.

Here is the sticker being distributed by concealed and open carriers alike, maybe I should mail some to the places.

Attachments

• Boycott+Notice.jpg
    Boycott+Notice.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 106
  • NogunsNomoneycards.jpg
    NogunsNomoneycards.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 170
  • ng.png
    ng.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 107
  • nogunfront.png
    nogunfront.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 207

solus

Well, I see no issue with walking into a restaurant, sitting down or being seated by staff, plugging in my laptop, getting online and ordering soft drinks, water and/or food 5-15 minutes as I have done. I did not threaten anyone...staff or management just saw what I carried one day and said I cannot patronize there anymore and am not welcome...I left and will not advise any other open carrier patronizes those places. As the saying goes, no defenses/security, no money.

Here is the sticker being distributed by concealed and open carriers alike, maybe I should mail some to the places.

well since the fish hook is still deeply embedded, and i truly do not want to...

what place was this?

ipse

bc.cruiser

You have been asked before: Just what were you carrying? Please do not respond with "properly sheathed fixed blade"; get specific about type and size of the weapon.

Firearms Iinstuctor

As we have seen before some people who post here seem to draw all the negative comments while most of the others have no problems in the same areas.

We have to just wonder why that is.

It would be nice to see video of these peoples actions during the day and see what they are doing differently.

It could be very educational for the rest of us to know what to avoid.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

well since the fish hook is still deeply embedded, and i truly do not want to...

what place was this?

ipse

I would like to know also, hopefully he is generous enough to provide us with the names, and specific location of these businesses.

PATRIOT88

Banned
I truly do hate having to repeat myself, once should be enough. *sighs* But, as I have said multiple times before...here it is again.

I do not think type/length matters at all...this is the south/country. People are supposed to be used to seeing knives and firearms.

As I have said before, Hickory Tapp Room, Olde Hickory Train Station, Soup Kitchen, Wine Shoppe.

It is no different from a KA-BAR, leatherman, or bowie knife. Let me try to find a picture. I am not sending a picture of what exactly I am carrying, as I have no home internet and am not taking it out of its sheath because that would alarm people and risk me being charged for terror of the public. I will, however post a similar picture.

Attachments

• walking_dead_season_3_finale_a_p.jpg
    walking_dead_season_3_finale_a_p.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 165

bc.cruiser

Thank you for the pic. I'm better able to understand frustration by knowing what kind of weapon you are upsetting businesses with.;)

I do not think type/length matters at all...this is the south/country. People are supposed to be used to seeing knives and firearms.

SC, GA, FL, and TN are all in the South, yet none of them have permit-less OC.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Personally I do not care what you are wearing or carrying, as long as you make no threatening gestures. I am aware, however, that sometimes people judge by appearance rather than by giving one a chance to make a personal-contact first impression. Which is why I do not, for example, go to some of the political fundraising events around here. It would strain the budget mightily but I could match the [strike]entrance fee[/strike] contribution suggestion, but I threw away all of my suits and ties and such when I retired. Sadly, I'm not a big celebrity who can get away with looking like your picture, as much as folks ought to recognize that I am in fact a celebrity - if only in my dreams,

While those "dress codes" are discriminatory, the response to breaking them is often not worth the time and expense. I dress like "ordinary" folks and tend to go where "ordinary" folks go. No high-falutin' dress-up in suit or tux, just like no head banger death metal costume events.

My target audience (pardon the phrase) is ordinary folks. I'm out to help them see and understand that except for the gun I'm pretty much like them (just like folks with so-pale-it-looks-white blondes). It's easier when you only have to overcome one stereotype.

But as I said, I do not, on a personal level, care what you wear or carry as long as you make no threatening gestures. Sadly, so folks see certain styles of dress as a threatening gesture.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just had a response back from a gun-totin' sweet ol' granny who does not hang out at OCDO. (I sent her the pic and asked her for comments.)

I'll share her response for what it might be worth:

"Wash your hair, wash your clothes, and patch up that torn knee. No problems about the guns, knives, or scoot, but he looks like someone that does not play well with others."

OTOH, she says I usually look presentable if not respectable and it often takes time for unsuspecting folks to figure out that on occasion I do not play well with others.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by PATRIOT88

I truly do hate having to repeat myself, once should be enough. *sighs* But, as I have said multiple times before...here it is again.

As I have said before, Hickory Tapp Room, Olde Hickory Train Station, Soup Kitchen, Wine Shoppe.

It is no different from a KA-BAR, leatherman, or bowie knife. Let me try to find a picture. I am not sending a picture of what exactly I am carrying, as I have no home internet and am not taking it out of its sheath because that would alarm people and risk me being charged for terror of the public. I will, however post a similar picture.

NC knife laws are not covered by state preemption.

See here a partial list of local ordinances that can make such a knife illegal.

Asheville, NC - 12-42. - in any park or other city-owned facility any knife, other than an ordinary pocket knife, which means a small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket/purse
Brevard, NC - 42-14.- in any park or other city-owned facility any knife, other than an ordinary pocket knife, which means a small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket/purse
Buncombe Co. NC - 54-10 - possessing knife in a county park or county owned/operated recreational facility is unlawful.
Cabarrus, Co. NC - 50-4 - possessing any weapon in the reasonable opinion of authorities/park officials can be used as a weapon (Knife)
Cary, NC - 24-10. - No person shall carry a knife upon his person having a blade of three inches or longer in Parks/Recreation Areas.
Catawba Co. NC - 20-99.- In Parks/Recreation Areas any knife or instrument capable of causing serious bodily injury designed for use as a weapon;
Charlotte, NC - 15-14. - Dangerous Weapons: Possession of knives of any kind or type having a blade in excess of 3 1/2 inches in length,
Cherokee Indians - Any school building/bus/campus/grounds/recreational area/athletic field or other property owned/used/operated by Cherokee Indians
Conover, NC - 16-14. - in a parade or street event no knives of any kind or any type having a blade in excess of 3"

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf

Last edited: