• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio man accuses Owsley deputy of assault

zrukman

Has anyone heard of this?

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/12/30/1582299/ohio-man-accuses-owsley-deputy.html

An Owsley County sheriff's deputy assaulted an Ohio man without provocation, breaking his left eye socket and nose, a federal lawsuit alleges.

State police and the FBI are believed to be investigating the deputy, Michael Havicus, and Booneville Officer Timothy Marshall, who failed to stop the attack, and both might face criminal charges, the lawsuit says.

--Moderator Edited--

RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS:
We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.

Read Rule #11
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
The action seeks unspecified damages from the two officers.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/12/30/1582299/ohio-man-accuses-owsley-deputy.html#more#ixzz19hFQPaxa

langzaiguy

What this is doing in an OC forum, I have no idea.

I'd like to hear the other side of the story. Cops don't punch people for no reason at all, which is what the lawsuit is saying. I wouldn't be surprised if it was excessive force, but it's important to note we don't have the full story.

Fallschirjmäger

The officer had a perfectly valid reason for beating the crap out of someone.

cartman_respect_my_authority-11123.jpg

zrukman

You're right. I probably shouldn't have posted this here. Not much going on here in the Kentucky forum lately, so I was trying to add some content.

The LEO was probably OC'ing though!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Havicus kept yelling for Adkins to stop resisting, but Adkins didn't resist, the lawsuit says.

I've seen two or three videos where police shouted "stop resisting", yet the arrestee was not visibly resisting.

I have a feeling police are automatically shouting "stop resisting", regardless of any resistance, in order to give witnesses an impression and cover themselves if any cops get carried away in their use of force.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

I'd like to hear the other side of the story. Cops don't punch people for no reason at all, which is what the lawsuit is saying. I wouldn't be surprised if it was excessive force, but it's important to note we don't have the full story.
WTF? Really, well I'll be damned.

langzaiguy

Have a problem with my statement Venator? If a cop hits someone for no reason at all, they must be literally insane. People don't hit people out of the blue. I'm not saying he had a good reason or a legitimate reason, I'm saying there must have been some antecedent to the punch and I'm curious as to what that was.

I have a general dislike and distrust for just about all law enforcement, nevertheless, we don't have the whole story. In the name of fairness, we can't really say what did or should have happened.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Have a problem with my statement Venator? If a cop hits someone for no reason at all, they must be literally insane. People don't hit people out of the blue. I'm not saying he had a good reason or a legitimate reason, I'm saying there must have been some antecedent to the punch and I'm curious as to what that was.

I have a general dislike and distrust for just about all law enforcement, nevertheless, we don't have the whole story. In the name of fairness, we can't really say what did or should have happened.
You may be right they have a reason...brutallity, psychosis, Napoleon complex....

neuroblades

Sometimes They Do.

This reply is on 2 fronts:

1. Like you, I view and approach LEO's with a weary-neutral POV. I give them the respect they are due but never kiss ass for their sake.

2. We had a PD that had some bad officer's. Certain officer's were known for their excessive use of force with their Mag Lights and drawing on individuals that had no priors, no warrants and a clean records! Due to the way things USED to work, their were no cases ever brought. It took nearly 10 years to expose them and their misdeeds, ultimately leading to their disgraceful discharge from the force. With that being said, this is all a done deal and over with now. Out current PD seems to be more upstanding and legit than those in the past, thankfully!

Tribunal Power

Cops are human too. We are all prone to irrational, unreasonable responses to situations that call for a lot less sometimes.

That means looking at someone the wrong way can get you stabbed, spilling water on someone's pantleg can get you mob-lynched, and saying something wrong to a cop can get you beaten and arrested. It's stupid, unreasomable, unfair, unjust, and a lot of other things, but that's the way it is.

There is more evidence to suggest the cop had no reason to strike than to suggest that he did. Witness testimony is pretty solid in court. But this notion of giving a cop the benefit of the doubt because "cops don't just hit people" is insane. Cops should be held to a HIGHER standard, especially when accused of misconduct. The attitude of giving them a break is how crooked cops get retirement plans instead of jail time.

Not my place to judge, but if this really is the way it happened, I hope they are extra hard on them in court.

Gunslinger

Cops don't punch people for no reason at all, which is what the lawsuit is saying. .

Agree with why is it here? But to say the above, you must have missed a few dozen reports of where that is exactly what they do. More facts are needed, but to whitewash cops in totality is as inane as saying they are all scum. Most assuredly are not; too many are.

Thundar

Cops don't punch people for no reason at all, which is what the lawsuit is saying.
s

Ever seen CATO's Avitar in the CA sub-forum?

We don't know what happened, but this doesn't look good for the thin blue line.

Expandable batons are a good discussion item. Are they legal for citizens to carry in Ky?

langzaiguy

I think I've been completely misunderstood here. I am far from saying that this cop is innocent and am not defending him in any way. I will say once again: we do not have all the facts. We cannot make a judgement until the facts are published. The cop is innocent until proven guilty, like anyone else. I also absolutely agree that they should be held to a higher standard.

I will stand by my words that cops don't just hit people for no reason. That logic applies to any sane human being. As a special education teacher, I realize that all behavior happens for a reason. Again, it may not be a good reason. In fact, if I had to put money on it, I would agree with Venator's mention of a napoleon complex.

I'm not whitewashing anyone here; I'm just trying to be rational, fair, and logical. As the facts lay, we just have one side of the story and nobody in here can speak to the guilt of anyone involved without knowing exactly what happened.

Tribunal Power

I think I've been completely misunderstood here. I am far from saying that this cop is innocent and am not defending him in any way. I will say once again: we do not have all the facts. We cannot make a judgement until the facts are published. The cop is innocent until proven guilty, like anyone else. I also absolutely agree that they should be held to a higher standard.

I will stand by my words that cops don't just hit people for no reason. That logic applies to any sane human being. As a special education teacher, I realize that all behavior happens for a reason. Again, it may not be a good reason. In fact, if I had to put money on it, I would agree with Venator's mention of a napoleon complex.

I'm not whitewashing anyone here; I'm just trying to be rational, fair, and logical. As the facts lay, we just have one side of the story and nobody in here can speak to the guilt of anyone involved without knowing exactly what happened.

I think I understand better now. While I think that there are some exceptions to that, I agree that all behavior is a reaction to something, even if it's an unreasonable reaction. And I agree that no sane person would hit anyone for no reason, but there are a lot of crazies out there, and sometimes the craziest thing about them is how much power they have, be it a badge or a political office or anything else.

In other news...

Expandable batons are a good discussion item. Are they legal for citizens to carry in Ky?

They are legal to openly carry, as is just about anything that is legal to own. But they are considered a deadly weapon, which means to keep one in your pocket you'll need a CCDW (and a pretty deep pocket-- literally, not monetarily). I regularly OC a baton in areas in which a "firearns prohibitied" sign is displayed (although a "no weapons" sign does apply to batons, most places won't immediately recognize it on your belt as a weapon).

IANAL, not legal advice, blah blah blah.

Last edited:

neuroblades

s

Ever seen CATO's Avitar in the CA sub-forum?

We don't know what happened, but this doesn't look good for the thin blue line.

For individuals that DO NOT have CCDW, they are ILLEGAL!!!

Last edited:

CenTex

This thread has gotten out of hand! Can we all just get along!

Are you kidding me, RK? If it weren't for the constant arguing or debating going on here, this forum would practically dry up on the vine.

langzaiguy

@Citizen Assuming a baton is considered a billy club or a night stick, it is considered a "deadly weapon" in KY. So if the deadly weapon is to be concealed, a CCDW is going to be needed. KRS 500.080