• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is why I carry at home.

VW_Factor

Click Me for story

I now see why the link up top doesn't work. The date changed in the story and bumped it to a new directory on the server. Change the 17 to 18 and it should work.

Last edited:

Northerner

I carry when I mow my lawn, walk my dog, or potty the dog at night or early morning. My neighbors get a kick out of it, but I have had several instances where people walk around my yard looking for the home owner to sell something. The Fire Dept. uses a 3rd party to drum up donations (the picture deal). My wife had a car back out of our driveway as she was pulling in and than the car pulled in behind her car. the guy got out, leaves his door open, car running and walks up to my wife IN OUR garage asking her if she wanted to donate to the Fire Department. Criminal? Legit? She could have been assualted and thrown in his car before anyone even realized what was going on. She is reconsidering carrying concealed or open now.

I would have handled it a bit differently.

Last edited:

Carry24/7

I get made fun of because I carry all of the time. It doesn't bother me. I just tell them " Yeah nothing has happen to me yet but you'll be glad I do carry if and when it does. " I think always being aware makes it harder to become a victim.

TrailRunner

We all live inside of a thin veil of security, and it can be breached at any time. Not to say that you need to live in fear (you shouldn't).. But you should still be prepared no matter where you are. Especially in your own home, because that's where you let your guard down the most.

chiefjason

On me all the time. Everyone is used to it. I don't think my crazy neighbors on the corner like it. And that's just fine by me. The rest of them don't care.

hotrod08

I get made fun of because I carry all of the time. It doesn't bother me. I just tell them " Yeah nothing has happen to me yet but you'll be glad I do carry if and when it does. " I think always being aware makes it harder to become a victim.

How does you're family feel about you having a LOADED firearm in the house?

My family has that train of thought that you would have time to insert a mag and rack it back if something happens.

Carry24/7

How does you're family feel about you having a LOADED firearm in the house?

My family has that train of thought that you would have time to insert a mag and rack it back if something happens.

Well lucky for me there are only two adults in the house. The other adult doesn't mind it but wants everything locked up. I can get to what I need if I need it though.

Outdoorsman1

I am sorry about your uncle's passing... You and your family will be in my prayers...

I am in Wisconsin and here, the only legal way to carry is open carry. I OC all the time..in my house, outside doing yard work, walking the dog, grocery shopping, fast food places, hardware store, etc., etc., etc. My gun belt goes on when I get dressed in the morning and comes off when I get undressed at night. I also carry "Fully Loaded" (12+1) ... always 1 in the chamber. At night my pistol is out of the holster and on my night stand within easy reach. I am fortunate to also not have an children in the house so it is no problem to keep it "handy" while fully loaded. I carry constantly not only for my security but also to maintain my "Comfort Level" while carrying. It has gotten to a point now that I feel uncomfortable witout my pistol at my side.

The only time I am without my sidearm is when it is not legal (in Wisconsin) to carry.. as in...while transporting in a vehicle, 1000 ft. from a school, state parks, government buildings, places that serve alcohol (without permiision). When it is not legal to carry I unload and case my firearm and put it in my car (per WI law). I still leave my gun belt on with the empty holster that holds a extra fully loaded magazine and my voice/video recorder opposite the holster in its own nylon case. I am currently in discussion with my boss to allow OC where I work. We in Wisconsin are hopefull that we will get some (if not all) of the moronic laws that restrict carrying (while it is perfectly legal to open carry)..changed or ammended to be more carry friendly. Untill then, I will carry fully loaded whenever and wherever I legally can...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

hotrod08

Well lucky for me there are only two adults in the house. The other adult doesn't mind it but wants everything locked up. I can get to what I need if I need it though.

Thats kinda how it is for me also.
I have my mom (Which is getting better with the idea)And my grandma who hates the idea of a gun in the house.

Right now, I am living with my sister and her husband(until I finish college), so its somewhat easier on me.
My brother has guns (He dont OC,)So he don't mind me having guns in the house, he just don't want them loaded. :banghead: :lol:

KyleKatern

Carry Choices

I do not always keep a gun in arms reach these days. Within 10 steps? yes. All of my carry guns, be they for open carry or otherwise are either DAO or DA capable pistols, and all of them stay hammer or striker down on a loaded chamber. The few guns I own that do not stay this way are 22 target pistols, and long guns that live with the bolt to the rear and a full magazine.

I lock my door when I enter my home, and palm the alarm unit back on as soon as I close the door and lock the secondary latch and deadbolt. I lock my truck door without thinking as it swings closed. I touch check my carry gun as I exit my vehicle, and never let myself carry stuff with the arm on the side I am carrying on. I do all of these things as a force of habbit thing, in hopes they never get used. Every news story I read makes me wish that more folks would do this.

aosailor

1st off to the OP, I am sorry for your loss. I have no idea what you are going through right now, but i hope you find peace soon.

as for the "in home carry options" I OC in my home always. hell, I'm the reason my roommate owns guns now. we have at least 1 gun in each room of our house, we have practiced and trained with hundreds of dry runs on how we would clear our home if we had an intruder. If people don't like that I carry loaded guns in my home, well they don't come over its that easy.

my parents were a little apprehensive about me OCing especially at their home. But because of me they both own handguns and my dad has his CHP. Holiday dinners where we may have up to 10 or 15 people over there are pics of me with my gun on my hip.