• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mississippi Open Carry Law

Danno 426

imported post

I am new to the forum and would like to know how Mississippi State Law defines OPEN CARRY. I have been searching for several days and ever thing I have found indicates that the gun can not have any part concealed, for example in a holster that is open.

Wouldsomeone please clarify the confusionor give me a resource that address the issue?

Johnny_B

imported post

They regulate it because anything CAN conceal it partially as the law states it's "concealed, in whole or in part"

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum32/28581.html

that is the ruling of chief justice lee that many people say isn't how the MSSC ruled on open carry, just his opinion, but his opinion is strongly supported by the lawmakers to regulate OC.

In short, you need a permit to OC in Mississippi, the constitution guarantees it, but the constitution also says "the legislature may regulate conceal carry" and they've defined it, poorly imo, as they have....unless the legislature changes something, we have to have a permit.

A little random in my sentence forming, tired, long drive this afternoon, but hope that helps.

Danno 426

imported post

Thanks for the input. I have been on travel the last couple of weeks and just now getting caught up on mail. Your info was helpful and I appreciate thereply. From what I understand I think I will just get the concealed weapon permit and forget it.

It would be good if we all would encourage ourlegislators,which we elect, to clarify the gun laws to allow us to exercise our right toprotect ourselves without unknowingly violating those laws. We do not need a law degree to knowhow to legally operate a vehicle. And, we should not need a law degree toknow how tolegally carry firearms.

MilProGuy

From what I understand I think I will just get the concealed weapon permit and forget it.

It would be good if we all would encourage ourlegislators,which we elect, to clarify the gun laws to allow us to exercise our right toprotect ourselves without unknowingly violating those laws.

That will probably be the best course of action to take.

You have made some good points about the need to encourage our lawmakers to clarify our gun laws.

Daylen

That will probably be the best course of action to take.

You have made some good points about the need to encourage our lawmakers to clarify our gun laws.

We do not need them to "clarify the gun laws" we need them to make the laws consistent with the words, meaning and intent of the constitution of MS. Which means eliminating "or in part" from 97-37-1 for starters; however, this would have the effect of clarifying the law, just without any unconstitutional "giving permission", which some have pined for on this forum.