• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrier killed with his own gun

lapeer20m

Ahh, the part that had me was that he chased them inside the station after they took his gun, I think I might have sought out cover but again, without knowing all the facts. Also as my wife has pointed out about retention holsters, we're not the only ones who know how they work, and just because it's retention doesn't mean someone close enough, with knowledge of how they work can't get your weapon. Obviously using a retention holster is a best practice, along with not letting someone get close enough to grab your sidearm. A back up would also be advised. I agree though, the victim is never at fault.

It is difficult for person B to remove a pistol from a retention holster worn on person A's belt, even if they know the trick to release the pistol. We've done some drills using my glock and a *gasp* serpa retention holster. Because the firearm has to be pulled straight up, it is nearly impossible for a person to walk up from behind, reach under your arm, and remove the pistol without a big struggle.

MilProGuy

It is difficult for person B to remove a pistol from a retention holster worn on person A's belt, even if they know the trick to release the pistol. We've done some drills using my glock and a *gasp* serpa retention holster. Because the firearm has to be pulled straight up, it is nearly impossible for a person to walk up from behind, reach under your arm, and remove the pistol without a big struggle.

Quite right.

I've got an ITAC and there's no way to remove it unless the release button is depressed and the handgun is pulled straight up.

cmdr_iceman71

As far as a 16 year old threat goes, I personally watch them closer than anyone else. Many of them lack judgement, fear and consequence. These come with experience.

+1

I OC my BUG in a manner where it could be drawn quicky with my offhand. I figure if I find myself having to reach for my secondary handgun then something has gone terribly wrong and I need access to it just as quickly as my primary - if not quicker. What's more, it is my belief that the sight of an OCed BUG will serve as a deterent for a gun grab, unless the criminal brings their own gun to the party.

I suspect the OCer in the aforementioned story was using an open-top holster with friction as his only method of retention.

HKcarrier

...like an IWB. The story was in Virginia and it is called the Virginia tuck.

I didn't put it together that this took place in Virginia... but I see what you mean now... it's likely he was carrying IWB with an IWB holster but was OCing....

Not smart IMHO.