• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at the Polls

USNA69

Could not locate the old thread about a member's interaction with the Board of Elections about the improper instructions to Precinct Chiefs about voter OC. If I recall, the member had provided the correct wording to the BOE, but never received confirmation that the corrections had been made.

I received this today from my friend and local precinct Chief:

"I was at voter training on Wednesday. A brief comment was made about allowing concealed handguns in the polling places, but the answer was a quick no in a very low tone. The Chief's handbook has been updated and there is no reference about handguns of any kind."

I took his comment to mean that he, as Precinct Chief, would not be permitted to carry and that there were now no words in the instructions regarding voter carry ... as it should be.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Could not locate the old thread about a member's interaction with the Board of Elections about the improper instructions to Precinct Chiefs about voter OC. If I recall, the member had provided the correct wording to the BOE, but never received confirmation that the corrections had been made.

I received this today from my friend and local precinct Chief:

"I was at voter training on Wednesday. A brief comment was made about allowing concealed handguns in the polling places, but the answer was a quick no in a very low tone. The Chief's handbook has been updated and there is no reference about handguns of any kind."

I took his comment to mean that he, as Precinct Chief, would not be permitted to carry and that there were now no words in the instructions regarding voter carry ... as it should be.

The member was Proshooter!

USNA69

I may have declared victory prematurely. This came from my friend, who is the Precinct Chief:
" I checked my Voter's Chief book very closely as I always do before an election. I did find a reference concerning concealed and open carry hand guns. I have copied it and will give you a copy when I see you on Tuesday. Bottomline concealed yes, open carry no."

So, it seems that the BOE has not brought its directives in accordance with the law.

I replied to him:

"Does "concealed yes, open carry no" apply to precinct workers or to voters?

BOE is within their rights to dictate to you, as an employee, the manner of carrying.

However, they cannot dictate to me whether or in what manner I carry on public property. Only the Commonwealth can do that by law. (VA Code 15.2-915)."

The polling place in question is now the Virginia Zoo in Norfolk. This from the zoo website:

Who operates the Virginia Zoo?
The City of Norfolk and the Virginia Zoological Society share the responsibility of the Virginia Zoo. The Zoological Society employs education, membership, marketing, fundraising, and special event staff. The City serves the operational needs of the Zoo, including animal care, zoo grounds and maintenance and customer service. Overall, the Virginia Zoo employs nearly 100 full- and part-time staff.

Thundar

Well on Super Tuesday me and Mr.Sig, who will accompany me in a beautiful leather holster on my hip, will go to my polling place and vote for Dr. Paul. We will then spread Dr. Paul's gospel of Peace, Gold and Liberty to anybody else that goes to my polling place.

USNA69

I would be very interested to see what actually made it into the handbook...

I worked on that a while ago and assumed that they had simply disregarded any of my suggestions, as I had not heard back from SBE.

My friend, the Precinct Chief, said he would copy the entry and give it to me on Tuesday at the polls.

If I do not get arrested, I will post it on this Forum. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I would be very interested to see what actually made it into the handbook...

I worked on that a while ago and assumed that they had simply disregarded any of my suggestions, as I had not heard back from SBE.

What agency actually supply's the handbook Jim?
I feel an FOIA coming.:lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Super Tuesday!
Good luck to all OC'ers at the polls and remember to take your recorders!

Now...if there was only someone to vote for:cry:

From the VCDL Alert

Today, Tuesday, March 6, there will be the Republican Presidential Primary.

The VCDL 2012 Federal Candidate Survey was mailed to the two candidates on the Primary ballot -- Ron Paul and Mitt Romney.

The Survey is posted on the VCDL website:

Survey: http://www.vcdl.org/surveys/federal_survey_2012.html

Ron Paul answered the VCDL Candidate survey 100% in support of gun owners. Unfortunately, Mitt Romney has so far refused to answer VCDL's survey.

If a candidate is afraid to take a public stand on these issues now, BEFORE the election, then they are unlikely to be very responsive to your views AFTER the election.

Failure to return a completed survey frequently indicates indifference, if not outright hostility, toward the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Please contact Ron Paul and thank him for his support for your rights.

Also contact Mitt Romney. Politely urge him to take a public stand on these important issues and answer the VCDL Candidate Survey.

Contact info for the two candidates:

Ron Paul 855-886-9779 chrisy@ronpaul2012.com
Mitt Romney 857-288-3500 info@mittromney.com

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member
Super Tuesday!
Good luck to all OC'ers at the polls and remember to take your recorders!

Now...if there was only someone to vote for:cry:

From the VCDL Alert

Today, Tuesday, March 6, there will be the Republican Presidential Primary.

The VCDL 2012 Federal Candidate Survey was mailed to the two candidates on the Primary ballot -- Ron Paul and Mitt Romney.

The Survey is posted on the VCDL website:

Survey: http://www.vcdl.org/surveys/federal_survey_2012.html

Ron Paul answered the VCDL Candidate survey 100% in support of gun owners. Unfortunately, Mitt Romney has so far refused to answer VCDL's survey.

If a candidate is afraid to take a public stand on these issues now, BEFORE the election, then they are unlikely to be very responsive to your views AFTER the election.

Failure to return a completed survey frequently indicates indifference, if not outright hostility, toward the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Please contact Ron Paul and thank him for his support for your rights.

Also contact Mitt Romney. Politely urge him to take a public stand on these important issues and answer the VCDL Candidate Survey.

Contact info for the two candidates:

Ron Paul 855-886-9779 chrisy@ronpaul2012.com
Mitt Romney 857-288-3500 info@mittromney.com

I voted for him, but because work dictates that we cannot possess in our vehicleseven I could not carry. Go Ron Paul!

Riana

Well on Super Tuesday me and Mr.Sig, who will accompany me in a beautiful leather holster on my hip, will go to my polling place and vote for Dr. Paul. We will then spread Dr. Paul's gospel of Peace, Gold and Liberty to anybody else that goes to my polling place.

I will be voting wearing my holster when I go to vote for Dr. Paul, but alas, it will be empty - Little Miss Springfield must be securely tucked away before my arrival on the grounds of the elementary school that is my polling place. :cry:

Thundar

Only Peace, Gold and Liberty at my precinct.

I was at the polls early spreading the message of Peace, Gold and Liberty. Yes I was Open Carrying. There were only two others that came to vote during the time I was there and they were also Ron Paul supporters.

As Virginia allocates delegates by congressional district, I hope that Ron Paul wins at least a few of these districts. It would be a shame if Mitt, the gun grabber, swept the Commonwealth.

As my poling place is not a school (Pandora Lodge #2, Newport News) I had zero issues open carrying.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

Last edited:

Walt_Kowalski

I did this, except my holster was empty, as I had to vote for Ron Paul at a school.

MamabearCali

My polling place is a school so no OC no CC. But I did my civic duty and voted. Could not stomach voting for Romney so I had to vote for Paul. I will have to throw up after I vote in Nov, but at least for the moment I am only mildly quesy.