• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

False impressions conquered again by a fun day of shooting :)

HPmatt

Sent a link of this to my daughter & roommates in school in VA. I'll see if they want to do some target shooting over their springbreak.

notalawyer

He would have done her an immense favor teaching her a good stance in the beginning.

Only watched a little, but it appears he did. I saw/heard him correct on her stance a couple times. "Remember we talked about that aggressive stance? Push into the gun."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
He would have done her an immense favor teaching her a good stance in the beginning.

Only watched a little, but it appears he did. I saw/heard him correct on her stance a couple times. "Remember we talked about that aggressive stance? Push into the gun."
Both feet together and standing bolt upright or leaning back is not IMHO a good stance. ymmv

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Both feet together and standing bolt upright or leaning back is not IMHO a good stance. ymmv
Yes, she lapsed into bad form, but what new shooter (this was her first time out, right?) do not?
Oh I complete understand lapsing into bad form and yes I heard a weak reference correcting that, but I never did see reasonably good, stable form - not at any time.

The best time to set the correct stance/position is in the beginning. It's easier then, than to correct it later on down the line. You'll note that she was rocked back several times by a light recoil gun.

I fear that I will be perceived as being uber critical - that is not my desire/goal. I recognize that this was her first time shooting and that the object was to have fun. To that regard, I think the mission was accomplished.

Two good examples of sold, stable body position.

Firearms Iinstuctor

First time? AK? Not the weapon I would use for a first timer. :confused:

To each their own.
.He started with a pistol and work up to the AK

From what I saw from watching all four of them she had the same bad stance in all four. It is a fairly typical first time shooters stance leaning away from the gun. Just a little bit of instruction on her stance before she fired the first round would have been a big help

I have found that women can be very excellent shots and learn fast most do not have bad habits to break.

But we have to give the guy credit for taking a new shooter out even if his instruction wasn't perfect. I am sure she well be in the pro camp now instead of the anti camp.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

.He started with a pistol and work up to the AK

From what I saw from watching all four of them she had the same bad stance in all four. It is a fairly typical first time shooters stance leaning away from the gun. Just a little bit of instruction on her stance before she fired the first round would have been a big help

I have found that women can be very excellent shots and learn fast most do not have bad habits to break.

But we have to give the guy credit for taking a new shooter out even if his instruction wasn't perfect. I am sure she well be in the pro camp now instead of the anti camp.

That's the most important part. And now that she is more familiarized with firearms, the next few sessions can be to work on fixing that unstable stance she keeps using.
In some cases she did seem to pivot unnecessarily, but I atribute it mostly to first-time-jitters.
Even this girl STARTED somewhere:
[video=youtube;kZiGXWxXxbE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZiGXWxXxbE[/video]
You should see how she shoots these days.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Yeah, the stance thing reminded my of the first time I took my wife shooting... Tell her to lean into it and 2 shots later she's leaning back again. lol. At least this girl did not move the butt of the rifle to the center of her chest when he turned around. Thankfully my wife was shooting .22 and not 7.62x39.

I think that the whole getting rocked by the recoil was partially intentional... It's "cute" as they say

Edit: More interesting to me, though, is not that another girl has been taught to shoot, but, the fact that this girl's comments have given some interesting insight into the misconceptions and preconceived notions that are perpetrated by the media and antis. She does an excellent job of articulating those misconceptions and how her experience has debunked them, IMO.

Last edited:

mobiushky

Watch the one he posted today. He addresses the stance a lot. In fact, once he gets her to move to a staggered stance, she looks pretty good.

One thing to remember is she says at the beginning that she was most heavily influenced by TV and movies. Isosceles isn't a commonly depicted stance in movies. It's not cool or tough looking to the average person. Funny thing is as soon as she staggers she adopts the "TV tactical" stance almost without thinking.

I know a lot of people have been complaining about fxhummel doing this because he's not a "certified trainer" but that shouldn't matter. Some people want to learn but are very nervous about an official classroom thing. This is a great way to get her started. Get her over the nerves and apprehension. She's learning. Then she can take the official classes.

stealthyeliminator

I don't care much of anything about "official" classes. Who determines which classes are official and which aren't? Who's the ultimate authority on teaching others how to shoot? Who has the authority to regulate it or to classify some classes as official and others not? Nobody. Lacking any "teacher certification" he may very well be more qualified than many with certification. [/minirant]

I just saw a couple of the videos which you're referring to (such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyfu1Afkw7o). I couldn't help but notice the lack of flinching when a malfunction/dummy round was encountered. I'm shocked. This chick is well on her way to being a better shooter than I! I can't help but think that there were way too many malfunctions, though. I'm guessing not a firm enough grip? Notice the huge difference in muzzle flip between her shooting and fxhummel. I think that stuck out to me because I suffer from weak grip issues. But, never the less, he does address the stance issue that was apparent in the first videos.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

I have discovered that by giving a simple yet physics-based demonstration of why exactly a good stance is important (see, this is what a 12 ga. does to a person afraid of the gun, leaning back away from it...) boosts compliance through the roof.

After my demo, I've actually had to tell a couple folks I'm training to be less aggressive in stance.

There is a lot of information to process in a short time period when you're going to the range for the first time, and in such a circumstance showing-not-telling is extremely important.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I know a lot of people have been complaining about fxhummel doing this because he's not a "certified trainer" but that shouldn't matter.

The day a "certified trainer" shows up at range day with me and the friends, and offers his services for free, is the day I don't teach newbies the basics.

mobiushky

The day a "certified trainer" shows up at range day with me and the friends, and offers his services for free, is the day I don't teach newbies the basics.

I am happy to take anyone who asks to the range and walk them through all they want to hear. There are some courses I feel are beneficial to shooters if they choose, but I'm not one to tell people they have to take X class. I've taken several families to the range and walked them and their kids through the basics of shooting and safety. Always a fun time.

I think what fxhummel is doing is great.

Kopis

Hey, at least he is taking her shooting! I think the best time you can spend with an anti gun person is to take them to the range, give them instruction and show them how firearms can be used safely and effectively against those who choose to ignore/break laws and wish to cause you harm.

CDT COX

Oh I complete understand lapsing into bad form and yes I heard a weak reference correcting that, but I never did see reasonably good, stable form - not at any time.

The best time to set the correct stance/position is in the beginning. It's easier then, than to correct it later on down the line. You'll note that she was rocked back several times by a light recoil gun.

I fear that I will be perceived as being uber critical - that is not my desire/goal. I recognize that this was her first time shooting and that the object was to have fun. To that regard, I think the mission was accomplished.

Two good examples of sold, stable body position.

yeah great stance lol

All that effort to look cool with their plate carriers and they aren't even facing their protection at the threat.