• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ANTI-GUN "T.G.I. Friday's" in Sterling closes it's doors...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I am all for sending the postcards!!!

The banning of cash-in-hand-ready-to-spend-it-in-their-reataurant-OCers was a bad business decision and probably symptomatic of other bad decisions.

The boycott might not have pushed them over the edge but if they are honest they will need to look at it as a "part" of their downfall. How big we will never know. These people will probably be staying in the same industry so getting that linkage in their mind may change their future patterns of decision making.

If the postcard doesn't change an anti's mind who cares, they were already anti!

I can't speak for Citizen but the way I saw it was something Ed pointed out. Lots of people read the postcards. Upper Administration probably does NOT. It get's file thirteened right off.

Now all these people who are on the lower level, reading it, will talk to all the other people who are now out of a job and can't buy junior a GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip for Christmas.

While a postcard to a large Corporation misses the intended target,(Administration) it may well make fence sitters anti's because they feel gun people caused their trouble.

The second reason is that they may have gone out of business because the accountant embezzled all the money.
Gun owners look a little silly taking credit for their demise.

Walt_Kowalski

We don't. So let's go with what we DO know. They banned gun owners and they closed. Maybe if they did not ban gun owners they could have survived longer and got thru some rough times. Sweetwater Tavern and Olive Garden are in the same park and business is flourishing. WAIT times every weekend.

Exactly. I liked some of thier Bourbon flavored menu items, but have not been back to spend a dime for a while now.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The only thing I might take issue with is the hint that a business closed only because of their policy of turning away gun toters. Otherwise it's fine in my opinion to at least point out that the business chased away a portion of its potential business by implementing said policy.

The Waterstone Pizza restaurant that we are discussing in the Lynchburg thread is such a place. Although the restaurant may be doing fine financially now, as a result of their "No Guns / Weapons" policy I have not only refused to go there on my own, I have not shared any further endorsement of their products like I had before the policy change, I have told my friends that I would not join them if / when they schedule dinners or meetings there and they have lost out on myriad numbers of people that I could have introduced to the restaurant by asking them to join my wife and I for dinner. Even if a business implements such a policy and only potentially turns away one or two sidearm carriers a day each of those sidearm carriers have friends and family that will be affected by this decision as the whole group will likely end up spending their money elsewhere when they dine with the sidearm carrier.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
:) Send them postcards all day long Ed I don't think it will make any difference. This weekend some doofus ignored their "No Guns / Weapons" signage and conceal carried into the restaurant, drank and then managed to shoot himself in the foot when the guy apparently was futzing with something in his pocket holding the gun.

If nothing else you could point out that their signs are toothless and that those who knowingly break the law are the ones who cause danger to others, much as this schmuck did.

jmb_nova

Interesting thread... sure gives some of us more intel on members personality types...

Learned a lot about some of you guys in this one.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
:) Send them postcards all day long Ed I don't think it will make any difference. This weekend some doofus ignored their "No Guns / Weapons" signage and conceal carried into the restaurant, drank and then managed to shoot himself in the foot when the guy apparently was futzing with something in his pocket holding the gun.

If nothing else you could point out that their signs are toothless and that those who knowingly break the law are the ones who cause danger to others, much as this schmuck did.

Yeah.. postcard won't do any good after that doofas just did that

45acpForMe

Tell us more, Sigmund.

I don't give a rats-a$$ what Sigmund thinks! I can be cantankerous when I want to be too! :)

Interesting word "intel" though. Kind of has the sound of an anti gathering information to use against us! If that is the case I would be more interested in what organization he/she belongs to.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Interesting thread... sure gives some of us more intel on members personality types...

Learned a lot about some of you guys in this one.

I hope you got me right.

I am a shy gentle person with timid habits and I frighten easily.
My hobbies are shuffleboard and collecting molds, spores and fungi.

My credo is live and let live!

My favorite book is How She Grinch Stole Christmas.

I like plastic guns and my hero is Sailor Curt.

jmb_nova

Tell us more, Sigmund.

lol... Just an observation; wasnt trying to start crap... I thought the debate over Eds postcard was interesting considering the idea that we all WANT to be able to link the closing of the store, to the lack of carrying patrons in the establishment, yet we constantly worry about giving the other side more ammo to use against us in the language we select. The same can NOT be said for the other side though; and yet we still need methodologies to teach, educate, and instruct those that we encounter that are in the 'middle ground'. It also speaks to the idea that OUR SIDE actually gives a damn about teaching, educating, and instructing those that do not have a dog in this fight as of yet. Considerate people are hard to come by these days, yet some of the guys here continue to impress...

Personally, I think Eds postcard is a GOOD idea (how else should we make our point known?) however, I tend to agree with guys like Citizen in that the language could have been better and not so "HAH! In your face!" But then, I dont live on this site and I have a low post count so i'm sure my ideas and opinions mean nothing...

I don't give a rats-a$$ what Sigmund thinks! I can be cantankerous when I want to be too! :)

Interesting word "intel" though. Kind of has the sound of an anti gathering information to use against us! If that is the case I would be more interested in what organization he/she belongs to.

Not a chance. I belong(ed) to Marine Corps Infantry ('01-'05), MEA, MCA, VCDL, NRA... should I continue? As former .mil and a guy who still supports the Corps through S&T, words like 'intel' are day to day for me; sorry if that fits your preconceived 'mold' of an anti... :)

See, I can be cantankerous too and no-one cares... lol

Come to a dinner and learn even more - no secrets here.

Actually, Ive had about three of them on my calendar and had to back out for one reason or another. Kid, divorce, work, and all that crap seems to be running my life right now. Normally, I am a big proponent of CC but I always OC during the week because of work. Easier to carry OC, lock it in the car when i go into the building (Fed), and then OC when i get it out of the safe in the car. I do enjoy being able to discuss the laws and such of OC and gun ownership in general within VA and surrounding areas to those guys that give you the big old stink eye because you have a little bitty PM40 on your belt...

Seriously though, you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to CC in a suit when you have to lock it up just to go to into your building? What kind of reaction time can you really expect with a tuckable holster behind a shirt and sportcoat anyway??? lol

Sterling is too far for me on the 16th and I really wanted to get involved with the Tysons cleanup since I live in Falls Church, but I will be in NY fishing the Salmon river! Ive said it before on here that i would really like to meet up with you guys sometime because I do belive in what we do, and I do like to get involved... Besides, im out of Eds cards... :)

I realize you guys dont know me from Joe freaking Blow but just because I dont post much doesnt mean I dont read as much as I can here. This site is one hell of a source for 'intel' and I pimp it accordingly!

Last edited:

45acpForMe

:uhoh: words like 'intel' are day to day for me; sorry if that fits your preconceived 'mold' of an anti... :)

Intel has connotations usually in my mind with government operations. Since many members are current or past military it isn't uncommon to have words like that slip into normal conversations. When our government labels me as a potential terrorist because I believe the constitution is NOT obsolete and in the sanctity of life, I get touchy when people say certain terms.

Call me cantankerous! Most people here are very nice to meet even if they are a bit rough around the edges online. :)

See, I can be cantankerous too and no-one cares... lol

:lol: Join the crowd!

jmb_nova

Intel has connotations usually in my mind with government operations. Since many members are current or past military it isn't uncommon to have words like that slip into normal conversations. When our government labels me as a potential terrorist because I believe the constitution is NOT obsolete and in the sanctity of life, I get touchy when people say certain terms.

Call me cantankerous! Most people here are very nice to meet even if they are a bit rough around the edges online. :)

:lol: Join the crowd!

Sounds like we are on the same page. I mean our OWN JUSTICE DEPARTMENT calls us terrorists! WTF is going on in our country when crap like that is happening? One thing the Corps taught me was that people with similar beliefs need to support one another in the 'big picture'.

I work for the Office of Naval Research so now words like intel, good-to-go, opsec, etc wont get out of my vocabulary!

Seriously, looking forward to meeting you guys someday soon...