• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fall 2011 Legal Update City of Madison Police Depatment

LOERetired

I was researching the probable cause and reasonable suspicion on open carry vs. concealed carry and came across this legal update from late fall of 2011 by the City of Madison Police Department. I read through it and it sure has a lot of what they expect us to allow them to do during a stop either walking along the street or in a vehicle while either open carrying or concealed carry.

My concern is that some federal Judges in other jurisdictions are ruling that if an officer knows or suspects you’re carrying concealed, he then has probable cause to detain, search, and seize your firearm.
The law was when open carrying, merely having a firearm on your side in the open was not reasonable suspicion or probable cause but, now it is when carrying concealed.

What the heck…….

If this has been hashed out before, sorry been out of the forum for a while.

Cowboyridn

sawah

As indicated, Act 35 does not require CCW license holders who are armed to notify law enforcement of that fact during an encounter. They do, however, need to produce their license and photo ID if requested. DOJ has put forth some initial recommendations for CCW license holders to follow if contacted by law enforcement while carrying a concealed weapon: Immediately tell the officer that you're carrying a concealed weapon and where it's located...

So even though it's not the law, they recommend it? OK, well why not dance the hokey pokey and offer them some delicious corn muffins as long as you're making up stuff to do that's not required by law?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

So even though it's not the law, they recommend it? OK, well why not dance the hokey pokey and offer them some delicious corn muffins as long as you're making up stuff to do that's not required by law?
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ccw-faq-20111020.pdf
What should I do if I have a CCW license and I have contact with a law enforcement officer while in possession of a concealed weapon?
While the law does not impose any specific requirements other than displaying a photo ID and CCW license upon request of a law enforcement officer, there are some recommended actions you should take when you have contact with a law enforcement officer. Contact can include a traffic or other stop and situations where you contact an officer or when an officer approaches you for information or otherwise. If you have a CCW license and you have contact with a law enforcement officer while carrying a concealed weapon, you should do the following:
1. Immediately tell the officer that you're carrying a concealed weapon and where it's located.
2. Keep your hands where the officer can see them.
3. Cooperate fully with the officer.
4. Don't make any quick movements, especially toward the weapon.
5. If you're in a vehicle:
 Roll down your window and place your hands in plain view on the steering wheel
 If it is at night, turn on the vehicle's dome light.
 Calmly tell the officer you have a CCW license and that you have a weapon with you. Ask the officer if they have particular instructions concerning the weapon.
 Do not touch or attempt to touch the weapon unless specifically told to do so by the officer.
 Do not leave your vehicle unless specifically told to do so by the officer.
In certain circumstances, a law enforcement officer may ask to take temporary possession of the weapon or may seize the weapon during interaction with the individual to ensure the safety of the officer and others or to secure the weapon as evidence. The officer will return the weapon at the end of the stop unless the individual is placed under arrest for a violation of the law that allows the weapon to be seized.
It is good to know the truth before insulting another.

Motofixxer

I just heard that Dane County just had some training re: CC. They mentioned that there needs to be RAS, and used the Madison 5 as an illustration. But it was also stated that Madison PD was not following that, and would be actively detaining with no RAS.

Packfanatic

Interesting

I just heard that Dane County just had some training re: CC. They mentioned that there needs to be RAS, and used the Madison 5 as an illustration. But it was also stated that Madison PD was not following that, and would be actively detaining with no RAS.

Let the lawsuits begin then sheesh If they violate the law they should be held resposible....

but then we already know they are above the law in general..

MKEgal

sawah said:
So even though it's not the law, they recommend it?
Yep. As Doug pointed out, they have a laundry list of how they think a good little sheep should act.
And as you've already pointed out, absent RAS of a crime they don't have the aw-thor-ih-tay to demand any of it.
Apparently $10K wasn't enough to stick the concept in their collective consciousness.

Mlutz

Yep. As Doug pointed out, they have a laundry list of how they think a good little sheep should act.
And as you've already pointed out, absent RAS of a crime they don't have the aw-thor-ih-tay to demand any of it.
Apparently $10K wasn't enough to stick the concept in their collective consciousness.

Last edited:

bigdaddy1

I dont like corn muffins, can I have chocolate chip?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

You're training LEOs to require what is not the law. HTH
Riight. And you are erecting a flaming strawhorse. I and we do not speak for the state, we suffer the government we deserve.

Packfanatic

and... waiting for Doug to clarify this?

Originally Posted by sawah

You're training LEOs to require what is not the law. HTH

Doug..
Riight. And you are erecting a flaming strawhorse. I and we do not speak for the state, we suffer the government we deserve.

So Doug please clarify why we should or should not cow toe to leo in general? I get it that sometimes it may be best to offer information to the authority but can you post a guideline of appropriate and inappropriate times to offer the information?

one concern i have is what if i inform and the the officer relieves me of my personal protection firearm and had NEVER operated the device and it goes BOOM.. is that a ND on the Leo part? this could be a very interesting discussion if done in a diplomatic way..

bigdaddy1

I really dont see where she insulted anyone. The DOJ suggestions from the FAQ are not the law. and in my opinion they were written in an attempt to make some believe it is required. Just as the DOJ had decided they would mandate a 4 hour minimum training requirement these are simply what they want but are not required by law. It is a matter of choice, if you choose to offer the information with out request that is up to you. If in a casual encounter there would be no reason to offer your information, and during an official one unless it has bearing on the situaion I see no reason to blurt it out either.

Packfanatic

+1000

I really dont see where she insulted anyone. The DOJ suggestions from the FAQ are not the law. and in my opinion they were written in an attempt to make some believe it is required. Just as the DOJ had decided they would mandate a 4 hour minimum training requirement these are simply what they want but are not required by law. It is a matter of choice, if you choose to offer the information with out request that is up to you. If in a casual encounter there would be no reason to offer your information, and during an official one unless it has bearing on the situaion I see no reason to blurt it out either.

Yes i did not think that the DOJ FAQ was the law but of course what i was referring to was the tell them you got a permission slip and have a legal firearm on you. I feel if i am not committing a crime why tell them anything? Only as you said if it has a bearing on the situation at hand. Thank you...

Last edited:

MKEgal

On pg. 3:
The City will prohibit firearms in all City buildings, and will
post appropriate signage to comply with the statute. The
City will also produce signs that can be provided to
property owners
, similar to the MPD “No Trespassing” signs.
Wonder how much they'll charge for these signs?
Or are they being provided free of charge, thereby showing that the city is officially anti-rights?
Or are there also "lawful carry welcome here" signs available for free from Madistan?

No force, real or implied, may be used during a consensual contact…
the citizen must feel “free to decline the officers’ requests or otherwise
terminate the encounter.” Any inherently coercive behavior on the part
of the police, that would "communicate to a reasonable person that he
is not at liberty to ignore the police presence and go about his business,"
will transform the contact into a stop, requiring suspicion of criminal activity.
During a consensual encounter, officers may ask for identification and may
ask if the subject is armed or carrying a concealed weapon. The subject is
under no obligation to answer questions, provide identification or even
remain with the officer. If the subject is lawfully armed (an open carry
situation, for example) the officer may ask to separate the weapon from the
subject, but the subject is generally under no obligation to comply.
Wonder why they correctly use "citizen" in the first part, but "subject" in the second, when both are talking about consensual encounters with no RAS of a crime?

This, however, is just wrong:
If an officer possesses reasonable suspicion that a subject they have
lawfully stopped is armed, a frisk is permissible. If a weapon is discovered
during a frisk, the officer may secure it. Once the weapon has been secured,
then the officer can investigate whether the subject is a CCW license holder.
So first take it away, then investigate whether it's legally held?
Sounds like Wray has been talking with Flynn.
And they're making no distinction between OC & cc.

If the subject does possess a CCW license and no arrest is made for the
original offense, then the weapon should be returned to them at the
completion of the stop. Weapons should be returned in a manner that
does not expose officers to any risk of attack.
:banghead: :cuss:
Because lawfully-armed citizens with gov't-issued licenses are such a horrible danger to officers who aren't committing crimes against said citizens, right?

In one place they get this right (must be acting with lawful authority), but here they forget that part & make it a blanket "you can demand, they must give in":
CCW license holders who are carrying a concealed weapon are not required to
inform law enforcement that they are armed during police encounters. However,
if asked by a law enforcement officer whether they are armed a CCW license
must display his/her license and a photo ID.
Act 35 does not require CCW license holders who are armed to notify law
enforcement of that fact during an encounter. They do, however, need to
produce their license and photo ID if requested.

BBlock

On pg. 3:

Wonder how much they'll charge for these signs?
Or are they being provided free of charge, thereby showing that the city is officially anti-rights?

PDF is provided at no charge. Printed signs are provided for $5 each.
http://www.cityofmadison.com/police/concealedcarry.cfm
CONCEALED WEAPONS SIGNAGE

Does the City have a sign available for purchase?
Yes, cost is $5 dollars a sign. There are different types of signs. Both are 5" X 7" and printed on self-adhesive, vinyl stock. One is designed to be applied to the exterior door surface; the other is printed to allow for interior application to glass, and readable from the exterior (reverse image).
Signs for purchase: Sign are available at the Clerk's Office
Signs for download: PDF Concealed Carry sign for print.