• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy here. Please I hope someone can answer this for me lol

porterhouse83

Is open carry without a permit legal in Colorado? I know its not in denver but I dont go into denver much. I cant seem to get a simple yes or no answer on this no matter where I look. Thanks guys.

ZackL

Outside of Denver it is perfectly legal. However, if you live in the metro area, be sure to watch your boundaries closely as they tend to jump and move around more than you might think. It is currently an enforceable law and jail doesn't sound good to anyone I don't think. On the other hand, if you have the money and time, by all means challenge the Denver ban and take it to the supreme court, I'm sure many of us here would be very grateful of it.

In any event, welcome to the forum.

ManInBlack

Yes lol

Is open carry without a permit legal in Colorado? I know its not in denver but I dont go into denver much. I cant seem to get a simple yes or no answer on this no matter where I look. Thanks guys.

. . .

Did you actually try reading the statutes or the information on the Colorado page of this web site??? Or did you just want freebie legal advice from a bunch of internet lawyers?

GuidoZ

. . .

Did you actually try reading the statutes or the information on the Colorado page of this web site??? Or did you just want freebie legal advice from a bunch of internet lawyers?
That's basically the point I was trying to get across, but in a more indirect way. :D

--
Peace. ~G

Deserteagle8338

I did try to read the laws but the wording is not always clkear to me. I was looking for interpretation more than anything.

Dont let the others confuse you. There is no law saying you can open carry. Laws do not say what we can do, they say what we cannot do.

Open carry is legal everywhere in Colorado without a permit, except for Denver. Remember to keep 1000 feet away from any school zone if you do not have a permit though (Federal law GFSZA).

GuidoZ

I did try to read the laws but the wording is not always clkear to me. I was looking for interpretation more than anything.
It's not entirely your fault - there have been a rash of new members joining and asking one simple question that 5-10 mins of searching (or simply reading) would solve. Check out the maps on the home page, which will lead you to other sites that explicitly answer your question, among many others.

--
Peace. ~G

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
For starters, not everybody who happens into the Colorado board is actually polite or given to gentility. For that, I apologize. You'll find that 99% of Colorado open carriers are the nicest folks you'll ever meet on this journey through life and always willing to help somebody get squared away with their rights as a citizen.

That being said, I sent you a PM with a suggestion or two, and I'd recommend taking me up on an offer to tag up with me for a day of running various errands in your vicinity to help ease you into the whole notion and develop some comfort carrying a sidearm openly as you go about your business.

As for any 'internet lawyers' you may see reference to, it must be remembered ain't none of us (with very few exceptions) got a law degree. That doesn't mean we're ignorant of what the laws have to say on the matters of our concern. The cop on the street or Judge in the courthouse will likely say "ignorance of the law is no excuse", but demonstrating a knowledge of the law might be construed as "practicing law without a license!" All of which begs the question, if ignorance of the law is no excuse, then why do we have so many lawyers and judges in our society getting paid big bucks to try and figure out the law and argue about it in court? Aside from which, new laws are happening all the time at every level of government from the federal legislature down to your local housing association! How can anybody keep up with all that crap? Meanwhile, even the cops aren't immune to ignorance of the law, which ain't no excuse mind you, but they're the ones supposed to be saying 'ignornace of the law is no excuse to us! As a result of such ignorance a some cops have regarding the law, it isn't uncommon for them to land on the wrong side of the courtroom being sued for an erroneous interpetation of the law. For this reason, they carry a 20 pound book with all the Colorado Revised Statutes in their cars. So much for the 'ignorance of the law is no excuse' argument when those empowered to enforce the laws frequently need to look them up to learn what they are because they don't know either!

With that said, and bearing in mind I ain't no lawyer, I'd like to suggest you do what most of us do....
Don't sweat the small stuff!

I don't believe you've started carrying yet, and know that you're likely to conjure up more trepidation than you'll ever encounter on the streets. I have never been hassled about carrying my sidearm anywhere at any time, including Denver territory whilst standing right in front of a Denver cop. I frequently will make a stop in Denver and visit a certain shop or business, and don't even think about whether I'm concealing or not, and I ain't been hassled at all. But we tend, as human beings, to conjure up images in our minds of the worst case scenario. We envision folks getting spooked because we are openly carrying a firearm, and rushing to call the cops who respond in great number, perhaps with a SWAT team close behind and maybe a K-9 unit or two just for good measure! In reality, the things we fret about most usually don't happen. That's what most of us figured out once we actually started carrying. We imagine what might happen if we open carry, worry about it something fierce, only to discover to our own chagrin that nobody seems to pay us much mind. It is what proved true for me, and for others I've worked with when they got started.

Now back to the issue. As I said a moment ago, don't sweat the small stuff. Item two is: "It's all small stuff!"

The best thing to get beyond all that angst is to strap on, walk out the front door, and go about your law abiding business.
Don't fret that trip to the King Soopers to pick up some soda and a DiGiornos, just relax in the knowledge that you are within your rights to carry your sidearm as you will. Keep your head held high, walk with confidence, and be polite to folks who may ask questions out of curiosity. Try not to soil yourself the first time you see a cop while open carrying, odds are they'll not pay much heed either.

Finally, I'd just like to offer myself as your personal tour guide to open carry. Let's meet up out in your neck of town and go out for a day of carrying together, and I think you'll learn a great deal by so doing. Plus, you'd be in the company of somebody who has been open carrying for awhile and has grown very comfortable doing so.

You mentioned getting a concealed carry permit, and I'd like to mention that I've had mine since August of last year. Not once... not ever.... has anybody, anywhere, asked to see my CCW permit. Despite the fact that I have it, I still open carry anyway. I have a believe that concealed carry should be limited to nudist parks. Don't dwell on that concept too long, it will prove disturbing in the long run! LOL!.

Anyhow, I sent you my cell number, and invite you to call and let's go OC'ing and get you over that first hurdle. Once you see how big a deal it isn't, I think you'll be fine. After that, you'll develop more confidence with every outing on your own. Six months from now you'll look back at this particular moment and wonder what all the angst was all about... but only if you get beyond that first big helping of uncertainty.

I'll wish you the very best as you take up OC'ing, and again invite you to call me when you have a moment and are feeling ready to challenge your apprehensions.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I wasn't really into lawyer shows. I was more into that medical series about the green slime found in hospitals....
What was it again???

Oh, yes, I remember....

Mucous Welby!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran

Now that you've got a simple "yes," please allow me to muddy the waters a bit... Actually, I just want to make a couple of clarifications to help keep you out of trouble. You can OC anywhere in Colorado except:

- in the city/county of Denver, including along Pena Blvd out to and including Denver International Airport

- within 1,000' of a public school of grades Kindergarten through 12th Grade

- in any private business or public building where it's posted "No Firearms" or "No Open Display of Firearms" or similar signage

- in any private business where you're asked to leave

Kingfish

Now that you've got a simple "yes," please allow me to muddy the waters a bit... Actually, I just want to make a couple of clarifications to help keep you out of trouble. You can OC anywhere in Colorado except:

- in the city/county of Denver, including along Pena Blvd out to and including Denver International Airport

- within 1,000' of a public school of grades Kindergarten through 12th Grade

- in any private business or public building where it's posted "No Firearms" or "No Open Display of Firearms" or similar signage

- in any private business where you're asked to leave
Add ANY mode of public transportation (even elevators and escalators)?
Also the Denver Mountain parks?

Last edited:

MamaLiberty

Howdy Amigo!
Finally, I'd just like to offer myself as your personal tour guide to open carry. Let's meet up out in your neck of town and go out for a day of carrying together,
M-Taliesin

Dang! That's a great offer. :) Sure wish you lived in my town. I get tired of being the only one openly carrying.

But, as you say, nobody much notices and nobody bothers me about it.

If you ever come to NE Wyoming, let me know. I'd be tickled to buy you a cup of coffee. :)

JamesB

Add ANY mode of public transportation (even elevators and escalators)?
Also the Denver Mountain parks?

Actually, public transport is ok if unloaded...

18-9-118. Firearms, explosives, or incendiary devices in facilities of public transportation.

A person commits a class 6 felony if, without legal authority, he has any loaded firearm or explosive or incendiary device, as defined in section 9-7-103, C.R.S., in his possession in, or carries, brings, or causes to be carried or brought any of such items into, any facility of public transportation, as defined in section 18-9-115 (4).

18-9-115. Endangering public transportation.
(4) "Facility of public transportation" includes a public conveyance and any area, structure, or device which is designed, adapted, and used to support, guide, control, permit, or facilitate the movement, starting, stopping, takeoff, landing, or servicing of a public conveyance or the loading or unloading of passengers or goods.

other more pertinant information may be obtained here:
http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs/open-carry

MamaLiberty

Actually, public transport is ok if unloaded...

Unloaded because... some how, the act of getting on a bus automatically makes the bearer apt to go bats and/or the gun becomes animated and shoots itself. Or that criminals would never think to delight in a bus full of unarmed victims...

Or, what exactly was the thinking here?

Oh wait... the people who make up this **** don't think at all. I forgot for a moment...