• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seeking 22 Mag. Pistol Info.

scott58dh

I am looking for any information, opinions & reviews on 22 Mag. pistols.

I have searched on-line for 22 Mags., but there doesn't seem to be much out there, Used or New.

I know about the Kel-Tek PMR 30 but I am hoping to find a more practical, dependable & less expensive alternative for a Full time Carry Firearm.

Thanx for your assistance.

Peace & RKBA 4ever !

Elm Creek Smith

The only .22 Mag handguns you are likely to find other than the PMR30 are going to be revolvers. Taurus has the 991 Tracker (a full sized 9 shooter) and that 941 (a small 8 shooter). Shop around.

ECS

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Don Barnett

.22 Mags in Pistols

I have a Ruger Single Six with the interchangeable cylinders and RARELY use the .22 Mag.

It is my understanding that the .22 Mag was designed for rifles and is not much better than a .22 LR in pistol length barrels.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Have fun.

bunnspecial

I have a Heritage Arms 22 Revolver that came with both a 22LR and 22 Mag cylinder. I bought a box of 22 Mags, but haven't shot any of them yet(I hate to, as the darn things are as expensive as 9mm at around $15/50). This is a cheap single action revolver that cost me $200 new.

I've been told(although I haven't chronoed it) that a 22 magnum out of a handgun gives about the same velocity as a 22LR out of a rifle(with the same weight bullet), but at the cost of a lot more noise. Personally, I've stuck with 22LR for handguns, and if I need more power prefer to use a centerfire handgun. Of course, even a 22LR beats a sharp if you're defending yourself.

arentol

I have a Ruger Single Six with the interchangeable cylinders and RARELY use the .22 Mag.

It is my understanding that the .22 Mag was designed for rifles and is not much better than a .22 LR in pistol length barrels.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Will do.

.22 WMR (Winchester Magnum Rifle) from the PMR-30's 4.3" barrel matches equivalent grain .22 LR energy from a 16-20" barrel. So basically you get .22 LR RIFLE power from a pistol. If you switch to the 5" barrel available for the PMR it consistently exceeds the maximum energy of .22 LR. And of course when comparing pistol length barrel to pistol length barrel it isn't even close to a contest.

As for the Ruger Single Six, the longer the barrel the more the WMR would overshadow the LR. If you have the 6.5" barrel version then you should easily be able to get 30 grain WMR consistently over 1600fps. Check out some gel test comparisons on youtube too. They show the difference a lot more effectively.

As to the OP, if you want a Semi-Auto then your choices are very limited. I believe only 3 have ever been made, the PMR-30, the Grendel, and the AMT. Neither Grendel nor AMT is are in business anymore, so you are out of luck there. However, I High Standard acquired the rights to AMT's guns and I think they may still be making the AMT .22 magnum semi-auto. Google all that to find out more about all these firearms.

Personally though, I would go with a revolver. There are some great ones out there in .22wmr, most convertible to .22lr for cheap range-fun.

Last edited:

arentol

Personally though, I would go with a revolver. There are some great ones out there in .22wmr, most convertible to .22lr for cheap range-fun.

This part was based solely on your prior statement about already knowing about the PMR-30 and being interesting in finding something else... If the PMR is on the table then I 100% recommend it. So much so that I have one myself. It is a great gun and I carry it daily.

Check out http://www.thektog.org/forum/f90/ for lots of good information on it.

jeeper1

For concealed carry High Standard used to make a double barreled Derringer many years ago.
Also North American Arms make 5 shot revolvers in 22 short, 22long rifle and 22magnum.
American Derringer Corporation also makes the DS22 Derringer Standard in 22 magnum.

Last edited:

bellyfat

not an expert.....but

.22mag happens to be my favorite caliber.
i own a rifle and a revolver in tha cal.
the revolver is a taurus tracker with a 6 1/2 inch barrel. its too big for concealment but a great house gun that my wife can shoot very well.
i use it for what i call power plinking. its a 9 shot and very accurate. ive been buying a box of 50 for 9 dollars at a local ammo store.
with 40 grain hollow points it will explode canned food or dog food. its a hoot to shoot.
im seriously thinking of getting a holster made for it, and carrying it open. i can do that in my state.
no problem putting 9 rounds on target at 25 yds. withe the revolver. with the riffle, i can shoot the brass end of a shotgun shell at 75 yds.
ive never missed a small game shot with it...ever. p.s. i still own 2 .22lr' long guns for burning lots of ammo cheep.