• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

non res. concealed firearm permit

conandan

I have just found out that Washington will no longer honor my Florida ccw. And I am trying to find out if I can get a non resident carry license. I do open carry a lot while in Washington but I understand you need a license to have it loaded in your vehicle. I would appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction.

tombrewster421

You must apply in person and being a non resident you can go to any county Sheriff in the state. Some counties are much quicker at getting permits out than others. Let us know what area you visit and we'll try to get you to the closest friendly department.

They have up to 60 days to issue to non residents but the better departments don't push it till the last minute.
It's about $55 and you just need valid ID and get your fingerprints taken there.

Last edited:

XD40sc

Or spend your money in a state that does honor your FL permit, or a state where OC does not require a permit.

badger54

Or spend your money in a state that does honor your FL permit, or a state where OC does not require a permit.

You only need a permit (CPL) in Washington state to carry concealed or to carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle either open or concealed. For general open carry outside of a motor vehicle no permit is needed. You just need to watch out for school zones if you don't have a CPL.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

I have just found out that Washington will no longer honor my Florida ccw. And I am trying to find out if I can get a non resident carry license. I do open carry a lot while in Washington but I understand you need a license to have it loaded in your vehicle. I would appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction.

This is news to me,, and I watch out for this stuff..
Sooo, you lost Washington, and I lost Florida!
I wonder whatthehell happened?

Sooo bring 57 bucks and your fingers to any cop shop here and in an hour they will have your application,
they will send it to you in 60 days or less.
Washington is shall issue and they will issue to ANYBODY that is not prohibited!
BTW, the Silverdale office of Kisap couty sheriff has been known
to issue your permit, while you wait, for an Hour!!!

Last edited:

muggins

Sooo bring 57 bucks and your fingers to any cop shop here and in an hour they will have your application,
Washington is shall issue and they will issue to ANYBODY that is not prohibited!

The WA Attorney General Bob Ferguson cancelled reciprocity with Florida due to Florida passing a bill that lowers the minimum age for a concealed carry permit for honorably discharged military veterans to 18 instead of 21.

http://www.examiner.com/article/concealed-carry-reciprocity-with-fla-stopped-by-ag-s-office

tannerwaterbury

conandan

Thank you everyone for the info. I will be be back in Wa. In a couple weeks. I will still oc while there I will just have to unload in my truck.

Am I correct that as long as I remove the clip from my gun and put in in my pocket or console I'm good or do they consider that as long as its accessible the gun is loaded like a few states do.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Thank you everyone for the info. I will be be back in Wa. In a couple weeks. I will still oc while there I will just have to unload in my truck.

Am I correct that as long as I remove the clip from my gun and put in in my pocket or console I'm good or do they consider that as long as its accessible the gun is loaded like a few states do.

As long as it's out of the gun (and no round in the chamber) you are good to go.

hermannr

Why will you be visiting WA? If it is for ANY outdoor recreational activity, going to an official shoot ... you may conceal, or OC at your will...no CPL required (RCW 9.41.060(8). Read RCW 9.41.060. Those are the exemptions to all of the CPL/no CPL, vehicle carry garbage,

If you are here for business, it will cost you $52.25 (no special training required, bring cash for faster response) for a CPL (resident/non-resident CPLs are identical). As a Non-resident, you can apply (in person) at any sheriff's office. Keep in mind, some counties will issue must faster than other counties. For a Non-resident permit they have 60 days to issue. I live in Okanogan Co. They are very quick, I understand Kitsap county is quick too. King co/Seattle will take every last day they are allowed. I understand Spokane Co is backed up (too many apps) BTW: OC is very well accepted

One nice thing here in WA, there is no change between local government jurisdiction. Same law (state) everywhere.

Last edited:

conandan

Why will you be visiting WA? If it is for ANY outdoor recreational activity, going to an official shoot ... you may conceal, or OC at your will...no CPL required (RCW 9.41.060(8). Read RCW 9.41.060. Those are the exemptions to all of the CPL/no CPL, vehicle carry garbage,

If you are here for business, it will cost you $52.25 (no special training required, bring cash for faster response) for a CPL (resident/non-resident CPLs are identical). As a Non-resident, you can apply (in person) at any sheriff's office. Keep in mind, some counties will issue must faster than other counties. For a Non-resident permit they have 60 days to issue. I live in Okanogan Co. They are very quick, I understand Kitsap county is quick too. King co/Seattle will take every last day they are allowed. I understand Spokane Co is backed up (too many apps) BTW: OC is very well accepted

One nice thing here in WA, there is no change between local government jurisdiction. Same law (state) everywhere.

I am there for work. I OC while I'm there, I will get a non res. licence just to not worry about loaded vehicle carry and the GFSZ. I have never had a problem in the years I've been coming up there.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

Vitaeus

The Attorney General is following the RCW as written. Calling the A.G. is a waste of time, call and write your congress critters to get the RCW amended.

Since no one has quoted the RCW yet, here it is:

RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

fire suppressor

I have to second defender on this. I do not know what part of Washington State you will be but Silverdale is a great place to get you CPL. I have got both my original and renewal there and both times I was in and out the door with my new laminated CPL in my hand in about 30 minutes. Generally they seem to have a I don't care attitude towards CPLs and as long as you have the money I do not see any problems