• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why would anyone need to carry on a college campus?

WTFOVER

That could happen anywhere. While I'm all for being able to carry on campus, I've worked on a college campus and some of the young adults I've encountered doesn't have the mentality to carry a weapon, little lone use one to protect theirselves.

Im all for students that have their permits to be able to carry concealed on a campus and I'm a big fan of teaching these young adults about situation awareness because most don't even have a clue as to what is going on around them.

M

mattwestm

That could happen anywhere. While I'm all for being able to carry on campus, I've worked on a college campus and some of the young adults I've encountered doesn't have the mentality to carry a weapon, little lone use one to protect theirselves.

Im all for students that have their permits to be able to carry concealed on a campus and I'm a big fan of teaching these young adults about situation awareness because most don't even have a clue as to what is going on around them.

I also agree that not everyone should carry on campus (some people shouldn't be on campus or in college at all). I also believe that it would be beneficial for 1 out of 50 students to be a permit holder and carry on campus. People who are against campus carry always argue that they don't want the "drunk frat boys shooting everyone." What they don't realize is that only junior, seniors, or graduate students are the ones generally old enough to be able to obtain a CHP, and out of that group, only a small percentage of people are actually willing to get it. They seem to get an image in their mind of an entire campus of 25,000 being armed to the teeth and shooting one another. This simply isn't the case...

There are several schools in the country that allow carry on campus. You never hear about someone getting drunk and shooting another student. These stories are all thought up by anti-gun Brady bigots.

I am 21 years old and make good grades. I don't get drunk every night and I wouldn't want to be labeled as a student who behaves in that way. Believe it or not, most students do attend college to get an education and act maturely. It's that small percentage we've got to worry about. I strongly believe that if misbehaving students aren't serious about their school work, they aren't going to waste the time to get a CHP, only to abuse the privilege.

EDIT: Things like this could turn very wrong... http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Man_Seen_With_Gun_On_Community_College_Campus_119185779.html

Last edited:

muccione

ya good students make great citizens... Link grades with a "campus CHP" Like student athletes have... Say a 3.2GPA or higher to carry on campus...

Just a thought

WTFOVER

ya good students make great citizens... Link grades with a "campus CHP" Like student athletes have... Say a 3.2GPA or higher to carry on campus...

Just a thought

I wouldn't go that far. To many college's "fix" grades for top athletes. I think if you have a CHP then you should be able to carry while on campus. I also think to limit the complaining one should be required to carry conceal while on campus.

edrolee

IMO if OC was just made blanket legal EVERYWHERE crime would go WAY down

even idiot criminals would have doubts about mugging someone if 4 or 5 people within 20 yards were OC

Last edited:

sultan62

I would say to flat allow carry just as if it were anywhere else, and my ideal there is Constitutional Carry anyway.

The Antis are good enough at coming up with ways to limit our rights, we don't need to hypothesize how to do it for them.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
OC vs CC on campus

Due to the obvious difference in age requirements (OC=18 / CC=21), if any form of carry is made legal on PUBLIC college campuses it would probably be as CC.

I believe there is a crucial difference between public and private colleges. PUBLIC colleges are state institutions; PRIVATE colleges are free to allow (or not) the carry of sidearms as they see fit.

M

mattwestm

In Utah, OC and CC are both technically legal on a college campus with a permit. Unfortunately one of the schools there released some secret paperwork to the officers about what to do with an OCer. Even though it's legal, the school still thinks they can prevent OC. The ideal situation would be to allow CC on campus for permit holders. I enjoy OC, but for some reason I don't believe OC would blow over too well on a college campus here.

The latest document in case anyone is interested: http://local.sltrib.com/upload/2011/01/univ_policy_open_cary.pdf

Here are versions from 2010 and 2009:
http://www.utahopencarry.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/UofU_OC_Policy_09-10.pdf
http://www.utahopencarry.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/UofU_OC_Policy_09-09.pdf

WTFOVER

In Utah, OC and CC are both technically legal on a college campus with a permit.

I'll admit I'm not following it very closely, but according to the memo April 2010 it states and I quote " As you know, concealed weapons permit holders may carry a concealed weapon on this campus. However, Utah statutes do not permit anyone to open carry on campus, regardless of whether the person has a concealed
carry permit
."

So is it illegal to OC or no?

sultan62

PUBLIC colleges are state institutions; PRIVATE colleges are free to allow (or not) the carry of sidearms as they see fit.

Unfortunately, this is not true. While I believe that carry should be banned by statute at neither, for different reasons, it is currently banned at both public and private universities in NC.

M

mattwestm

I'm attending the 5th Annual North Carolina Higher Education Safety Webinar & Symposium on campus tomorrow.

The speakers are as follows:
Bill Stanton (As seen on ABC; CBS and Dateline NBC)
Marisa Randazzo (Author of The Handbook for Campus Threat Assessment and Management Teams)
Bob Grenier (Former Head of Counter-Terrorism and White House Liaison for CIA)

It should be rather interesting, but I did receive this document via email concerning the symposium: http://www.nabita.org/documents/WhitePaperGunsonCampus.pdf

Any thoughts or comments on the document? At first it seemed rather neutral, but towards the end, you can clearly see the writer is anti-campus-carry.

elixin77

That document was far from neutral, and leaned extremely hard against gun rights and owners. The paper even tried to link students who owned guns with binge drinking. I mean, come on!

Info on this symposium - it's something I'd like to try and make if I can

Alude904

Plain and simple. The only thing the laws against college carry do is it lets the bad guys pick off law abiding citizens while everyone else is defenseless. Bg's are bg's because they DONT obey the law. The only thing that law does is make good people who do obey them helpless.

M

mattwestm

That document was far from neutral, and leaned extremely hard against gun rights and owners. The paper even tried to link students who owned guns with binge drinking. I mean, come on!

Info on this symposium - it's something I'd like to try and make if I can

Just forwarded the info to your ECU email. I'm not sure if I will be able to attend the entire event, but I will try to be there for at least part of it. I'm thinking I will be able to be there after 12:00. Unfortunately the really interesting lectures are first and I won't be able to make them. You might want to email the person in charge and make sure you don't need any kind of invitation. I'm getting extra credit by attending for my HLTH1101 class.

MKEgal

Why would anyone need to carry on campus?
Same reasons someone would 'need' to carry anywhere else:
security
defense
exercise of a civil right
because the police can't be everywhere all the time

Assault, robbery, rape, & murder don't depend on the intended victim's age or attractiveness,
only on the intended victim's perceived inability to fight back.

elixin77

I wont be able to attend the symposium - I have to be at work at 10, and it's too late for me to look for someone to cover for me. Dreamer, if you can make it, take notes and make the people speaking feel stupid, for me :)

srandle704

There are several schools in the country that allow carry on campus. You never hear about someone getting drunk and shooting another student. These stories are all thought up by anti-gun Brady bigots.

Just out of curiosity, is there a list or does anyone know what Colleges do allow people to carry?