• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Makeover: Women Open Carriers, Pretty Guns

DoomGoober

With all the talk of "scary" long gun open carry and "scary" open carriers like Bobby Seale, it seems the best makeover, if you will, for open carriers would be more women open carrying pretty guns.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500202_162-57348612/more-and-more-women-embracing-gun-ownership/
http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2011/10/chicks-with-guns/

Additionally, if men choose to open carry a long gun, a nice looking rifle with engraved wooden stocks might go over better than those "intimidating" black guns with rails.

I'm all for open carry of all sorts, but it occurs to me that what freaks people out is the foreign nature of guns. A pink gun, a jewel encrusted gun, or even a nice gun with wooden engravings somehow makes it more approachable, more every day normal.

MKEgal

This isn't (currently) relevant in CA, since their legislature just completely & totally infringed the 2A.
No useful carry w/o a permission slip. :uhoh:

And while I'm all for anyone carrying (legally) whatever floats their boat, it annoys me when people use or see guns as a fashion accessory.
I don't know anyone who paints or engraves a hammer handle.
(Then again, I'm more "function" than "form"... I carry Glocks 'cause they're highly & reliably functional, not 'cause they're pretty. Elegant in their simplicity, yes.)

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Unfortunately having women carrying guns pink bejeweled or pretty

has never made open carrying a more palatable subject to the non believers and unarmed. Having attended many uoc events over the years and being a daily carrier I have always enjoyed the company of female gun owners as they have far superior intelligence over the unarmed women of the world. Now will we have many female LGUOC in our midst once UOC of handguns is outlawed on January 1 remains to be seen. I for one will just go about my daily business with my remington shotgun or AR 15 on my tactical sling. Something I have practiced since Governor Moonbeam signed AB144 into law......and to date not one encounter from local PD but various stares from unarmed citizens..plus now having purchased a shotshell stripper I am able to load and fire my remington quicker than my UOC handguns but with more devastating effect !

PistolPackingMomma

This isn't (currently) relevant in CA, since their legislature just completely & totally infringed the 2A.
No useful carry w/o a permission slip. :uhoh:

And while I'm all for anyone carrying (legally) whatever floats their boat, it annoys me when people use or see guns as a fashion accessory.
I don't know anyone who paints or engraves a hammer handle.
(Then again, I'm more "function" than "form"... I carry Glocks 'cause they're highly & reliably functional, not 'cause they're pretty. Elegant in their simplicity, yes.)

+100