• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introduction

F350

Well I've been busy and have made a few posts without an introduction; so...

"Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year..."
(well not so much on the wealth part)

The wife and I have a friend with multiple disabilities who lives with us and something about the move has triggered health problems and has kept me hopping since the move so I've not been able to sit down and post a proper intro.

Recently moved to Colorado from Columbia Missouri, originally from Indiana which has a CCW law dating back to 1934 (Florida was NOT the first), and issues at age 18 so let's just say I've carried a handgun for way more years of my life than not.

I'm a communications tech and recently returned from 3 years in Iraq as a civilian contractor and was only going to take 6 months off before going back when the opportunity for the wife to take a job in Colorado came up, and that has turned into a year now. During my absence was when our disabled friend moved in to keep the wife company while I was gone. I am "On the roster" with my former employer for a contract in Afghanistan but with the political uncertainty I'm not sure I can get on another contract, there just aren't that many communications billets open .

I competed in IPSIC and NRA Action (The Bianchi Cup) and high power rifle for nearly 20 years before breaking my right shoulder and just can't take the recoil anymore. I carried Glocks for several years (even had "GLOCK9" as a license plate in Missouri) but am again carrying a basically John M Browning 1911 design, a Para-Ordnance P-14 with a double stack 13 round mag. I was "single again" during that 20 year period and was accused of being a member of the "Gun of the Month Club" and have a "few" Black Rifles etc.

I'm a avid bourbon and rye drinker, not much for beer, but a good bourbon and a good cigar is hard to beat, my "bunker" contains over 2 dozen bottles including some of the finest bourbons and ryes made: George T Stagg, William Larue Weller, Pappy van Winkle, van Winkle Lot B, Thomas H Handy, Sazerac....

Looks like a good crew here and I have learned a lot on Colorado gun laws, and from what I've learned I think I'm going to like it here.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Neighbor!
Welcome to the herd! Glad to have you join up with this outfit.
Your intro is an interesting read. You done good giving us a glimpse into your background. Nicely done.

You'll find that we are a friendly bunch, and all of us are dedicated to our right to arms as outlined in the Bill of Rights and the Colorado Constitution. And we are particularly strong on our open carry rights. We have that right now, and are working to make Constitutional carry a reality here, as it is in Arizona now. No need for a permit to carry concealed or open, and you're free to do whatever suits you! That's what we're trying to achieve in Colorado.

I believe you'll find the climate of Colorado much more comfortable than what you'd find in Afghanistan. I have a great friend over there and he just can't rave enough on how much he dislikes the place. From what I get from him, you ain't missing much aside from a paycheck!

Again, welcome to Colorado and to our friendly forum. Maybe one of these days, you'll take an opportunity to travel to our side of the rock pile for an open carry meet-up. We hold them from time to time in Colorado Springs, Aurora, and other accomodating jurisdictions that ain't Denverish.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

I'm a avid bourbon and rye drinker, not much for beer, but a good bourbon and a good cigar is hard to beat, my "bunker" contains over 2 dozen bottles including some of the finest bourbons and ryes made: George T Stagg, William Larue Weller, Pappy van Winkle, van Winkle Lot B, Thomas H Handy, Sazerac....

I'm a Bulleit fan, myself. Where's that rank in your opinion? I have to admit to never hearing of those you listed. I enjoyed a Cuban Romeo Y Julieta while in South Africa a couple of weeks ago, along with a Boplaas cape tawny port. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between it and the R+J's I've had here.

F350

M-Taliesin-
Thanks; tried to give people a glimpse into myself, we are a bit surprised at the moderate climate here in "The Grand Valley" but I understand it has been a bit dry and warm this year, looking forward to exploring the fishing possibilities and all the public land. Yea I have talked to a couple guys that did a stint in The 'Stan, still living in 8 man tents, cold, rainy season sucks etc and yea I do miss the PAYCHECK (not paycheck).

I do find the Colorado gun climate very much to my liking, I use to OC in Missouri but never saw anyone else doing it, as soon as the first warm days hit I saw 3 other guys OCing and have been doing the same and haven't gotten so much as a strange look (except for one west coastie neighbor).

You said in another post you were going to explore parts of CO you have not been to, if you head out to this side of the pile let me know. If you haven't seen them the Colorado National Monument, McInnis Canyons & Dominguez Canyon are something to see, haven't been to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison yet but plan to soon.

mahkagari-
Bulleit is a fine every day drinker, haven't had it lately but it is defiantly a good solid middle shelf bourbon. The ones I listed are very limited production and are perennially at the top of the list in whiskey competitions, the Stagg, Weller & Handy are "barrel proof' which means they are not diluted to a set proof, bottled as they come out of the barrel uncut and unfiltered, the Stagg is 143 proof and was last years "Worlds Best Distilled Spirit".

A little whiskey drinking tip; most people drink bourbon out of a high ball glass, I use a special whiskey nosing glass (most of taste is actually smell) from Glenncairen, but almost as good would be a brandy snifter, you want to explore the aroma, look for the camel corn, maybe a hint of butterscotch, earthy tones, a touch of old leather, perhaps some wild berry, all of which is lost with a high ball glass; the link will show you what I mean, and a good price to boot...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NKODVC...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B002NKODVC

Most people don't know it but there are 2 primary "mash bills" for bourbon both by law have to be >51% corn (most are over 60%) and both use malted barley for fermentation the difference is the middle grain, Bulleit and most others use rye, Makers Mark and a few others uses wheat which takes a bit of the bite out. Try a bottle of W.L. Weller Old Antique (107 proof) or W.L. Weller Family Reserve (90 proof) same mash bill just more water in the FR, or get the Antique and add bottled water to taste. Well enough about bourbon, I could go on all day and most people aren't that interested.

Don't ask me how it happened but about 200 of my little Cuban friends followed me home from Iraq, mostly Churchill sized Cohiba maduros.

Last edited:

mahkagari

Bulleit is a fine every day drinker, haven't had it lately but it is defiantly a good solid middle shelf bourbon.

I'd say top of the middle shelf in taste, if not price, que no?

The ones I listed are very limited production and are perennially at the top of the list in whiskey competitions, the Stagg, Weller & Handy are "barrel proof' which means they are not diluted to a set proof, bottled as they come out of the barrel uncut and unfiltered, the Stagg is 143 proof and was last years "Worlds Best Distilled Spirit".

Hmm. I'll consider checking them out if I ever go to a tasting. But in the meantime, .30-06 cartridges will get enjoyed more quickly than a few bottles in reserve.

A little whiskey drinking tip; most people drink bourbon out of a high ball glass, I use a special whiskey nosing glass (most of taste is actually smell) from Glenncairen,

Thanks. I drink my Herradura silver, which I'd call bottom of the top shelf, but I'm no expert in that either, from a snifter. The nosing glass would be good for both, I think.

Well enough about bourbon, I could go on all day and most people aren't that interested.

Oh, poo. We need more OT conversations around here showing that we're gentleman of taste rather than just beer gutted rednecks fondling pistol barrels.

Last edited: