• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in NWI

dcarlot1

I have recently began to open carry all around Northwest Indiana. I bought a Blackhawk paddle holster to securely hold the gun. I had a few run-ins with local leos and lake county sherrifs that keep telling my that OC is illegal in Indiana and I just put my shirt over my weapon in order to avoid conflict.

I have also heard that there is a local restriction regarding ammunition quantity (10 rounds) in Gary and East Chicago Indiana. Does anyone have any documentation to support this? My Sig 229 holds 12 in the clip and 1 in that chamber!

slimlanie

There are no regulations on the number of rounds you can carry. I carry a glock 20 which holds 15+1 and have never had any problems.

xmanhockey7

Indiana does not differentiate between OC and CC. They also have full state preemption (except for discharge of a firearm I do believe).

griffin

I OC around NW Indiana (Hammond, Highland mostly) on a semi-regular basis. Perfectly legal. You were misinformed. There is also no magazine round limit.

Tell them to cite IN law or GTF out of your face, then walk away. But that's just me. I'm now 55 and don't put up with much BS.

Last edited:

aikidoka

I OC around NW Indiana (Hammond, Highland mostly) on a semi-regular basis. Perfectly legal. You were misinformed. There is also no magazine round limit.

Tell them to cite IN law or GTF out of your face, then walk away. But that's just me. I'm now 55 and don't put up with much BS.

As the weather warms up I will be doing so in Hammond, Highland, etc as well. How has your experience been? I've had two Hammond police officers tell me OC was not legal. The first one was actually decent about it, the other, not so much. He berated me for choosing to OC while he still had my firearm.

Should be interesting this year. A police officer lives on the street I moved to last year. I'll be walking or riding my bike past his house every now and then when I OC. Gee, I wonder if they "know" that OC is legal over two years later? ha.

aadvark

dcarlot1:

Hammond City has a Prohibition that Limits The Amount of Fixed Ammunition that a Person may Possess to only 500 Rounds of said Ammunition.

However..., This Prohibition was both Nullified and Voided under Indianas' Firearm Preemption Law 35-47-11.1.

Hammond is Aware of Indiana Law Concerning This Matter, but The Hammond City Council has Refused to Repeal This Law based upon a Symbolic Gesture of Disgust for Indiana Law 35-47-11.1.

Hammond Mayor Issued an Executive Order Requiring that This Law NOT be Enforced.

aadvark

Murphy

As the weather warms up I will be doing so in Hammond, Highland, etc as well. How has your experience been? I've had two Hammond police officers tell me OC was not legal. The first one was actually decent about it, the other, not so much. He berated me for choosing to OC while he still had my firearm.

Should be interesting this year. A police officer lives on the street I moved to last year. I'll be walking or riding my bike past his house every now and then when I OC. Gee, I wonder if they "know" that OC is legal over two years later? ha.

Why did this LEO have YOUR firearm???

Mark 1911

I have started to open carry more and more frequently since I started reading this forum, and have concealed carry since 1989 when I applied for my first permit. I carry a Kimber 1911 .45acp. I carry three 8-round magazines, one in the pistol and two in my magazine carrier. 25 round total counting the round in the chamber (anticipating the not-chambered vs chambered debate :D )

I have never had any issues to date in the NWI area, no confrontations, no snide remarks, nothing at all of any consequence. However, last time I was getting a haircut, the police chief from the neighboring town of Lansing, IL just happened to sit down next to me. We had a friendly conversation on the matter and I found him surprisingly supportive. He cited the famous quotation, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". I found that pleasantly surprising coming from an Illinois LEO (note that the encounter occured in Indiana, not Illinois).

Last edited:

cce1302

I open carried to my barber shop this morning, as I normally do. He's been my barber for 5 years, and we've talked guns a few times. He has a police scanner and heard the events Tuesday morning, so we had a good talk about http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...r-denied-Right-to-Vote-at-St-Joe-County-polls .

He and the other customer were in full support of the open carrier in that event.

Also OC'd when I picked up crickets at petsmart, as is my custom. They made no comment, as is their custom.

Mark 1911

Went for a 10-mile bicycle ride this morning and was also OCing. As I was making my way down one of the main streets in town, I passed two Munster squad cars traveling in the opposite direction. They didn't even tap the brakes. No reaction. I can't imagine that they didn't see my holster, although it's possible they may not have have seen it. This is the second time I have encountered LEOs in squad cars while OCing, this time there were 2 squad cars, both times there was no reaction at all, much less any negative reaction. The PD in my town have never reacted in any way to my OC. I can't imagine they didn't notice this morning since I was on a bicycle, the sidearm was plainly visible. Could it be that their professionlism is showing? I would really like to believe it!! I think my town's PD department has a very good reputation for professionalism in their behavior, and so far this seems to be the case, at least in my limited experience, in their respect for Indiana law regarding OC.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Added Home Depot in Schererville, Speedway in Munster, and Strack and VanTil in Munster to the list this weekend. No comment from anyone. Had a typical discussion with an employee at Home Depot regarding the items I was purchasing, but no mention whatsoever about the OC.