• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Church?

JohnMoses

I've been searching all over the net, and can't find my answer. Is it legal to OC at church in Nevada?

Rollbar

Fallon Church of Christ-I prefer CCW (just for the members sake/peace of mind for worship). God said let things be done decently and in order in 1 Corinthians 14 and not to cause division/problems. I'm sure talking about it will help others. I OC when I go on most visits and they all know I go to the range/shoot competition.

Last edited:

JohnMoses

I'll be living in the Spring Valley area. Hope to find a good church there. I'd like to be involved with the band or working security.

Rollbar

PM me your address-I will send you a DVD of "Why there are so many churches". Then you can go from there.

Just a thought,
Jim

DooFster

It's ALWAYS a good idea to ask the pastor and/or board members for permission as courtesy. Some of you may say "...you shouldn't need permission to carry", but in a church or place of worship, it's out of respect for the congregation. Back at my hometown in Michigan, my father used to CCW but asked the pastor first. Ironically, the pastor agreed because he one time had a gun drawn on him during his sermon, and the whole congregation was robbed at gunpoint...

Merlin

It's ALWAYS a good idea to ask the pastor and/or board members for permission as courtesy. Some of you may say "...you shouldn't need permission to carry", but in a church or place of worship, it's out of respect for the congregation. Back at my hometown in Michigan, my father used to CCW but asked the pastor first. Ironically, the pastor agreed because he one time had a gun drawn on him during his sermon, and the whole congregation was robbed at gunpoint...

This. No, you shouldn't have to ask, but given the social aspect of places of worship, it is considerate to ask first. But, make it clear that its a deal breaker for you.

You aren't asking for permission to carry, you are asking whether you are welcome there.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

DooFster

This. No, you shouldn't have to ask, but given the social aspect of places of worship, it is considerate to ask first. But, make it clear that its a deal breaker for you.

You aren't asking for permission to carry, you are asking whether you are welcome there.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

That's exactly my point... Luke 22:36 "...he that does not have a sword; let him sell his cloak and buy one..."

I was also saying whether it'll be acceptable by the church/congregation...

28kfps

One of the few times I do CC, it is in church. Our pastor has no problem with it. I am not the only one. Of course, it is not the 1800s however; it was customary back then for the pastor to have a shotgun behind the pulpit. I have not tried OCing I am fairly sure the pastor would be ok with it not sure about some of the congregation. Many do know I carry. So yep, it is legal to have that extra safety tool in church.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
I've had several Pastors over the years that were thrilled that I carried. My current Pastor is armed most of the time. I did choose to conceal carry while in church so that I never got more attention than the message.

Rich

Rollbar

That's exactly my point... Luke 22:36 "...he that does not have a sword; let him sell his cloak and buy one..."

And he that hath no sword - There has been much difficulty in understanding why Jesus directed his disciples to arm themselves, as if it was his purpose to make a defense. It is certain that the spirit of his religion is against the use of the sword, and that it was not his purpose to defend himself against Judas. But it should be remembered that these directions about the purse, the scrip, and the sword were not made with reference to his “being taken” in the garden, but with reference “to their future life.” The time of the trial in Gethsemane was just at hand; nor was there “time” then, if no other reason existed, to go and make the purchase. It altogether refers to their future life. They were going into the midst of dangers. The country was infested with robbers and wild beasts. It was customary to go armed. He tells them of those dangers - of the necessity of being prepared in the usual way to meet them. This, then, is not to be considered as a specific, positive “command” to procure a sword, but an intimation that great dangers were before them; that their manner of life would be changed, and that they would need the provisions “appropriate to that kind of life.” The “common” preparation for that manner of life consisted in money, provisions, and arms; and he foretells them of that manner of life by giving them directions commonly understood to be appropriate to it. It amounts, then, to a “prediction” that they would soon leave the places which they had been accustomed to, and go into scenes of poverty, want, and danger, where they would feel the necessity of money, provisions, and the means of defense. All, therefore, that the passage justifies is:
1. That it is proper for people to provide beforehand for their wants, and for ministers and missionaries as well as any others.
2. That self-defense is lawful.
Men encompassed with danger may lawfully “defend” their lives. It does not prove that it is lawful to make “offensive” war on a nation or an individual.

I was also saying whether it'll be acceptable by the church/congregation...

Yes you don't want to cause problems and put the focus on you when the message is more important than your gun/carry just because you can in some cases.

DooFster

I may talk to the wife and see what she thinks. Henderson may be a little bit of a drive but if I'm allowed to carry, might as well!!

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

JohnMoses

For anyone that is interested in attending, here is the address of the church.

567 North Stephanie
Henderson, NV 89014

jdholmes

For anyone that is interested in attending, here is the address of the church.

567 North Stephanie
Henderson, NV 89014

We have actually been doing Bible Studies at the Starbucks there...we weren't planning on doing those for the next few weeks.

Our regular services will be at a different location - we will post it soon as we are still negotiating with a couple of locations...trying to find an affordable yet not trashy place for a startup church isn't too easy.

You would think with all the thousands of empty locations in this valley folks would be a little more apt to work with potential renters.

We will likely be in a dance studio - open space with chairs and sound included, they are pretty ideal.