• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yakima County Law Enforcement talking with School Adminstrators about Armed Teachers.

If it was lawful would you voulenteer hours at schools

• Yes

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Today law enforcement in Yakima County are talking with School Administrators about having a teacher in school who is trained and carry in school for protection.
No new laws need to be enacted just that a teacher needs to be trained in firearms as a law enforcement officer. Finally some reasonable talk since these shootings.

RCW 9.41.280 Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities — Penalty — Exceptions.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(b) Any person engaged in military, law enforcement, or school district security activities. However, a person who is not a commissioned law enforcement officer and who provides school security services under the direction of a school administrator may not possess a device listed in subsection (1)(f) of this section unless he or she has successfully completed training in the use of such devices that is equivalent to the training received by commissioned law enforcement officers;​

http://www.kimatv.com/home/video/Ya...ing-with-school-administators--184199211.html

Last edited:

tombrewster421

It would be nice if they did eventually change it to allow anyone with a cpl to carry like federal law allows. But this is a great step in the right direction. Hopefully this training won't take too long to implement.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
It would be nice if they did eventually change it to allow anyone with a cpl to carry like federal law allows. But this is a great step in the right direction. Hopefully this training won't take too long to implement.

I would to.... would 'we' be willing to get an additional 'endorsement' (state training) to be able to carry inside school buildings, buses, etc as a parent visiting the school or on a field trip?

decklin

I would to.... would 'we' be willing to get an additional 'endorsement' (state training) to be able to carry inside school buildings, buses, etc as a parent visiting the school or on a field trip?

I have typically been against mandated training feeling that it is the responsibility of the individual to seek out training.
I don't have kids but I would be willing to compromise on this issue.

KYGlockster

Activist Member

We can be trusted at every location with a firearm (or two or three) or other deadly weapon on our preson, but not at a K-12 school? This seems a little irrational to me. I would not want to get MORE training just to carry in ONE location. The GA should trust the citizens to carry their arms anywhere they please, especially after they have a background check conducted on them and receive a small amount of training that is already required for the license.

If the government doesn't trust its citizens and strips them of a right because of that fear, then the citizens are dealing with the very definition of "tyranny." Rescind the gun-free school statutes, and do NOT mandate more training.

Michigan just had a lot of in-fighting over something very similiar. When you allow the state to mandate more training before you can exercise a right it is bad. Soon they will believe they can demand anything from anybody to exercise any right if we allow such legislation to become law.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Following the Sandy Hook Shootings a local threat was found on Facebook which brought this issue a little closer to home for Yakima County and likely the reason for these discussions.

Zillah police: Man arrested for Facebook threat
ZILLAH, Wash. -- The man behind a suspicious Facebook threat it is now in custody, according to Zillah Police Chief Dave Simmons.

Simmons said the 27-year-old has been committed under the involuntary treatment act for a mental evaluation.

The post in question was part of a conversation thread. Simmons said the man responded to a comment that said he sounded like the next shooter at a massacre.

"I may be. I felt on the absolute edge of doing something similar," the man wrote.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
My children are well grown, but I would volunteer for this in a heart beat.

I have been seeing more and more people tired of dying and wanting to defend themselves and others. This was on police one. What a good idea.

http://www.policeone.com/active-sho...inutemen-can-protect-against-active-shooters/

"Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
— John F. Kennedy, 1961

LkWd_Don

We can be trusted at every location with a firearm (or two or three) or other deadly weapon on our preson, but not at a K-12 school? This seems a little irrational to me. I would not want to get MORE training just to carry in ONE location. The GA should trust the citizens to carry their arms anywhere they please, especially after they have a background check conducted on them and receive a small amount of training that is already required for the license.

If the government doesn't trust its citizens and strips them of a right because of that fear, then the citizens are dealing with the very definition of "tyranny." Rescind the gun-free school statutes, and do NOT mandate more training.

Michigan just had a lot of in-fighting over something very similiar. When you allow the state to mandate more training before you can exercise a right it is bad. Soon they will believe they can demand anything from anybody to exercise any right if we allow such legislation to become law.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you stated, that I have emphasized. I will also say that over nearly 40 years of handling and watching others handle firearms, I will honestly state that I see where our early American culture of most citizens having to hunt to survive gave children an early and continuous education about firearms that our recent culture has not had the benefit of. I am not saying that there are not those families who actively engaged in hunting and eventually pass the needed firearms safety & handling education on to their children, but these days they are few and are quickly becoming the exception rather than the rule.

I would trade needing to show proof of successful completion of a Firearms safety course for the present infringements on our rights of needing a CPL to exercise my Constitutional Rights in certain places within the state. I might even accept being required to undergo and pass the same background checks presently required for a CPL or Handgun purchase prior to enrollment in the course, if they were to drop the existing CPL eligibility laws. Meaning if you will be traveling to another state and wish to have a CPL, that you then show your Firearms Safety Certificate, pay the fee and be issued the CPL.

I know there are many who will disagree with me on this, that is their right to do so, and I would not disparage them for their opinion.

LkWd_Don

My children are well grown, but I would volunteer for this in a heart beat.

I have been seeing more and more people tired of dying and wanting to defend themselves and others. This was on police one. What a good idea.

http://www.policeone.com/active-sho...inutemen-can-protect-against-active-shooters/

"Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
— John F. Kennedy, 1961

You are not the only one!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Thus far I support almost everything posted and with emphasis for those who that may step up and protect or be provided the ability to carry in the off limit areas as schools, be required to take and pass the training.
Unfortunately not everyone willing to step up will be a good choice in these areas. Over the years I have talked to several people that carry daily and some not so much, a few of them really do not have a clue, sad but true.

Last edited:

Difdi

Devil's Advocate:

This would ostensibly be the same sort of training Birk has? I can just picture, our next shooting spree could be by a teacher who "felt threatened" and "had no choice but to shoot" when confronted by a 6 year old throwing a tantrum.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I do not believe that the entire LE academy course would be needed. If the pertinent issues were covered a revised course could be designed specifically designed for the school environment.

Contrarian

K-12 armed teachers training

I do not believe that the entire LE academy course would be needed. If the pertinent issues were covered a revised course could be designed specifically designed for the school environment.

Does anyone know how long the firearms portion of a police academy runs? I suspect that there might be some difference between Sheriff, metro police and State Patrol curricula, but in general.

decklin

Does anyone know how long the firearms portion of a police academy runs? I suspect that there might be some difference between Sheriff, metro police and State Patrol curricula, but in general.

State Police have their own academy in Shelton. Everybody else uses the one in Des Moines.

hermannr

Today law enforcement in Yakima County are talking with School Administrators about having a teacher in school who is trained and carry in school for protection.
No new laws need to be enacted just that a teacher needs to be trained in firearms as a law enforcement officer. Finally some reasonable talk since these shootings.

RCW 9.41.280 Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities — Penalty — Exceptions.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(b) Any person engaged in military, law enforcement, or school district security activities. However, a person who is not a commissioned law enforcement officer and who provides school security services under the direction of a school administrator may not possess a device listed in subsection (1)(f) of this section unless he or she has successfully completed training in the use of such devices that is equivalent to the training received by commissioned law enforcement officers;​

http://www.kimatv.com/home/video/Ya...ing-with-school-administators--184199211.html

I say, Lord Have Mercy...SOMEONE actually get's it.

BTW: (1)(f) training is not necessary...there is no reason for school staff to have a tazer.

May I add...it should not be only one person...it should be ANY staff member.

Last edited:

DCKilla

I'd volunteer for a couple hours a day to keep one of my local schools safe from attack. I'm no sheepdog, but have small kids moving up in the world.