• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Massachusetts: No-Warrant Home Search Legislation being proposed

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Can we please get back on topic?

This is about legislation being proposed in Massachusetts that would allow law enforcement officers to enter a home without a warrant, to determine if firearms are being stored within the property in the manner dictated by existing law. It is a 4th Amendment situation that is specifically occurring in Massachusetts. Comments on where else this may have been tried (e.g., the comment about Arlington County, VA) are welcome as being informational about the outcome of such efforts. In the unlikely event that this legislation succeeds, it will be the "camel's nose under the edge of the tent" that will start to erode very strong 4th Amendment rights against unlawful search.

This thread is NOT about:
Slave Owning founding fathers
Bullscat bravado against assessors

davidmcbeth

Banned
Can we please get back on topic?

This is about legislation being proposed in Massachusetts that would allow law enforcement officers to enter a home without a warrant, to determine if firearms are being stored within the property in the manner dictated by existing law. It is a 4th Amendment situation that is specifically occurring in Massachusetts. Comments on where else this may have been tried (e.g., the comment about Arlington County, VA) are welcome as being informational about the outcome of such efforts. In the unlikely event that this legislation succeeds, it will be the "camel's nose under the edge of the tent" that will start to erode very strong 4th Amendment rights against unlawful search.

This thread is NOT about:
Slave Owning founding fathers
Bullscat bravado against assessors

Such laws do not erode the 4th amendment at all as they would be found unconstitutional. Wouldn't you think?

OC for ME

MA will use this law to take one step closer to confiscation. Remember, if the firearm is not stored properly then you are not fit to possess. The warrant-less search is not the issue, just a symptom.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
MA will use this law to take one step closer to confiscation. Remember, if the firearm is not stored properly then you are not fit to possess. The warrant-less search is not the issue, just a symptom.

If this legislation were to be enacted, it would pose a serious erosion of 4th Amendment rights. I also believe that if the law were to be enacted, there would most certainly be a court case initiated to declare it unConstitutional. While the first-line court may issue an injunction until a decision could be reached, the whole process may take a long time to come to final determination.

In any case, it seems amazing to me that any elected legislator could even conceive that this legislation is Constitutional.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If this legislation were to be enacted, it would pose a serious erosion of 4th Amendment rights. I also believe that if the law were to be enacted, there would most certainly be a court case initiated to declare it unConstitutional. While the first-line court may issue an injunction until a decision could be reached, the whole process may take a long time to come to final determination.

In any case, it seems amazing to me that any elected legislator could even conceive that this legislation is Constitutional.

I'm counting on you to file a federal suit the day its passed into law ... constitutional issues need not have a pending case to make an argument. You can attack in federal court before u violate the law.

Primus

This is all moot.... it's not even a formal proposal. It was some unintelligent politician making some uninformed comments and "ideas". Their next step was to contact the PD and see what their "ideas" were. I'm pretty sure their idea was "I don't feel like getting shot for your incompetince, go read the Bill of Rights."

No need to riot or start court cases YET.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

I submit that even by the fact that a legislator would suggest such a law violates his oath of office and is grounds for his immediate removal.

Last edited:

MattinWA

You know that if you have any electronic transmitting device in your home, (car door button, wifi, cellphone, walkie) that the FCC claims an ability to inspect said devices at anytime.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
I'm counting on you to file a federal suit the day its passed into law ... constitutional issues need not have a pending case to make an argument. You can attack in federal court before u violate the law.

Sigh... you know that I, not being a Massachusetts resident, will not have any standing to file a federal suit since the law does not affect me as a Virginia resident. You do know that one has to have standing in order to file suit, right? Or are you just being snarky?

Again, this thread was posted to make certain that Massachusetts residents were aware and that OCDO members in other states were apprised of this kind of potential attack on the 4th Amendment.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sigh... you know that I, not being a Massachusetts resident, will not have any standing to file a federal suit since the law does not affect me as a Virginia resident. You do know that one has to have standing in order to file suit, right? Or are you just being snarky?

Again, this thread was posted to make certain that Massachusetts residents were aware and that OCDO members in other states were apprised of this kind of potential attack on the 4th Amendment.

You could always buy a house and move, yes?