• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A. Barton Hinkle impugns the motives of ALL Open Carry Virginians

Repeater

Read his column carefully. He does not distinguish between long guns and handguns (which is why I am not posting this on the Carytown thread). He boldly asserts the only reason to carry openly these days is to cause moms to become nervous; after all, no one is a mind-reader.

Accordingly, all who display their arms are misguided.

[size=+2]The misguided open-carry movement[/size]
Having the right to do a certain something doesn’t mean that certain something is always the right thing to do.

When a man shows up at a shooting range with a Smith & Wesson .357 on his hip and a Colt AR-15 slung over his shoulder, his intent is plain. When he shows up at a Starbucks with those same weapons, his intent is far from plain.

As Jacob Sullum pointed out not long ago in Reason, there was a time in the U.S. when “openly carrying a weapon was considered manly and honorable, while secretly carrying a weapon was considered sneaky and disreputable. … Today, by contrast, the prevailing view, at least among urbanites, seems to be that secretly carrying a weapon is less worrisome than carrying it openly.” Today people understand the aim of concealed-carry is self-defense. What’s the current aim of open-carry?

Gun-rights advocates who delight in making suburban mothers nervous are practicing libertarian brutalism. They resemble those abortion-rights supporters who think it’s funny to wear a shirt that says, “Why did the fetus cross the road? Because they moved the dumpster.” Feeling put-upon, they have an urge to lash out at the other side, to rub the other side’s nose in the dirt and teach it a lesson. But lashing out rarely achieves much. Often such brutalism does nothing but generate resentment.

Having a given right means never having to show consideration for how others feel about it, if you don’t want to. But advocates for individual rights should want to.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Read his column carefully. He does not distinguish between long guns and handguns (which is why I am not posting this on the Carytown thread). He boldly asserts the only reason to carry openly these days is to cause moms to become nervous; after all, no one is a mind-reader.

Accordingly, all who display their arms are misguided.

[SIZE=+2]The misguided open-carry movement[/SIZE]
Ironic...
Having the right to do a certain something doesn’t mean that certain something is always the right thing to do.
He misguidedly using one enumerated right to chastise those who would exercise another enumerated right.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Feeling put-upon, they have an urge to lash out at the other side, to rub the other side’s nose in the dirt and teach it a lesson. But lashing out rarely achieves much. Often such brutalism does nothing but generate resentment.

Taking those words out of the context of his editorial, it becomes impossible to determine which side of any of the pro-X/anti-X discussions he is referring to.

The strange thig, getting back into the context, is that for the most part I have seen the anti-Xers lash out against X, rub the other side's nose in the dirt, and try to teach it what happns when you go up against their I-know-what's-best-for-you attitude.

Contrast his recent screed with his thoughts on knife rights and the need to protect them: http://reason.com/archives/2014/04/07/the-case-for-knife-rights

There’s no doubt knives are dangerous—witness the recent spate of knife slayings in China. What’s more, according to the FBI, more than 1,500 Americans were killed by knives or other cutting instruments in 2012. But that’s still just a fraction of the more than 33,000 Americans who were killed by motor vehicles in 2012, and nobody has suggested banning them—yet.

Consistent little bugger, isn't he? What's that? Are you telling me that one of the symptoms of liberal progressivism is the inconsistency of what passes for thinking?

Who knew? [/sarcasm]

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
how many times did david's mother drop him on his head ?

smiley-laughing021.gif

TFred

A general question: Other than open carry, how can one inform a potential threat that they are armed without risk of brandishing?

I'm not sure there is a risk-free way to do so, which bolsters the argument for Open Carry.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A general question: Other than open carry, how can one inform a potential threat that they are armed without risk of brandishing?

I'm not sure there is a risk-free way to do so, which bolsters the argument for Open Carry.

TFred
You gotta ask yourself the question, is it worth your life?

One can always "reach" where the gun is not carried though that might present other problems.

Firearms Iinstuctor

TFred

One could just tell them, with good command language. I armed stay away, I prepared to defend myself.

Or simple a STAY BACK

Good verbal commands not only inform the potential attacker your aware but alerts witnesses that your in danger.

If it is legal to open carry why would it be brandishing to exposé your firearm with out drawing it?

One second your CCW next your open carrying.

There are to many variables in each situation to know or say what well work or not.

The mentally ill and those who are intoxicated on drugs or alcohol some times just don't pay attention or care.

Where it is legal defensive display can be very effective in stopping an attack with out shooting some one.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
One could just tell them, with good command language. I armed stay away, I prepared to defend myself.

That's a pretty good case of verbal assault (a crime which we all know know does not exist but tell that to the cop/magistrate and see where you end up.

Or simple a STAY BACK

Works, but does not answer the question.

Good verbal commands not only inform the potential attacker your aware but alerts witnesses that your in danger.

If it is legal to open carry why would it be brandishing to exposé your firearm with out drawing it?

One second your CCW next your open carrying.

Going from concealed to the "ostentatious display" of your firearm is pretty much word for word the crime of brandishing.

There are to many variables in each situation to know or say what well work or not.

The mentally ill and those who are intoxicated on drugs or alcohol some times just don't pay attention or care.

Where it is legal defensive display can be very effective in stopping an attack with out shooting some one.

Might this be yet another good and proper time to suggest that a "defensive display of firearm" law be added to the Code of Virginia? There are several states that have such laws - it is a matter of a) copying/pasting and editing to conform to the LIS Style Book (the easy part), and b) getting someone to sponsor the bill.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Might this be yet another good and proper time to suggest that a "defensive display of firearm" law be added to the Code of Virginia? There are several states that have such laws - it is a matter of a) copying/pasting and editing to conform to the LIS Style Book (the easy part), and b) getting someone to sponsor the bill.

stay safe.
That is something that has been bantered about several times. Believe that User has made some comment about it.

Doubt though that such would make it through both houses with a veto proof majority and we all know what to expect from Governor McAwful.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
That is something that has been bantered about several times. Believe that User has made some comment about it.

Doubt though that such would make it through both houses with a veto proof majority and we all know what to expect from Governor McAwful.

Is it worth the effort and political cost, or do we wait for a more opportune time?:cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead:

Remember, right now there is no alternative - if you pull it you must shoot it, or the reason for pulling it did not meet the legal requirement of self defense. Sell this as a way to protect at least some of those young children who are just about to turn their lives around, if just given yet another second chance.

ETA: Wonder how all the anti-gunners would react to being called out as wanting folks to be killed when the defensive display of firearms act would provide a way to prevent needless killings?

stay safe.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This really doesn't answer your question TFred but I don't carry a gun to frighten or even warn potential attackers. If I pull it, one of us isn't leaving there on our own power but until then, the gun gets no mention at all.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This really doesn't answer your question TFred but I don't carry a gun to frighten or even warn potential attackers. If I pull it, one of us isn't leaving there on our own power but until then, the gun gets no mention at all.

Walking tall.

Repeater

No discussion of 'Permission'

Sadly, for someone so apparently aligned with libertarian principles, it does not seem to occur to Hinkle that maybe, just maybe, some who carry openly do so because they don't need anyone's permission.

If Barton feels so strongly about the alleged virtue of concealed carry, perhaps he should advocate for Constitutional Carry.

Virginia: "Not Yet Available."

Does Hinkle even care?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sadly, for someone so apparently aligned with libertarian principles, it does not seem to occur to Hinkle that maybe, just maybe, some who carry openly do so because they don't need anyone's permission.

If Barton feels so strongly about the alleged virtue of concealed carry, perhaps he should advocate for Constitutional Carry.

Virginia: "Not Yet Available."

Does Hinkle even care?

Betcha the box is empty.

Last edited: