• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1000 foot school zone

snirp88

Can someone please enlighten me on the 1000 foot rule?
1. public and private schools?
2.It says private property is an exception. Is that my private property? Or a store's private property also?
3.If a store's private property is okay then what about the parking lot to the store?
4.On a public road in my car within the 1000 foot zone?
I don't have the convenience of getting a chp to be able to carry around but not on school property because I'm too young. And I'm tired of leaving my handgun in the car or at home anywhere close to a school because there more than 10 schools I can think of off the top of my head within 10 miles of my house.
Thanks in advance,
Tyler

JG_Buffalo

This is all my very non lawyer understanding.

1. Public schools in CO are gun free zones, you can keep your handgun out of view in a locked vehicle in a school parking lot so I assume car carry is okay on the road right next to it. Private schools, I think, can make any rules they desire so you'd have to know but I treat them like public schools (although the possibility could be that they are even stricter) but you don't plan on being on the "real" property of said schools so it shouldn't be a problem.

2.Your car is your real private property and is like a rolling home. Police need a warrant to search it, and open and conceal carry and acceptable without a CHP (except OC in Denver). Driving by a school would be of no consequence.

3.Most Stores own the parking lot in front of them, so they can do whatever rules they choose.

4.You're fine, I think.

You can conceal carry your handgun in your car everywhere in Colorado, you can open carry in your car everywhere but Denver. I would say if you're under 21 just keep your gun locked in your glove box if it's not physically on your person. Police need a warrant to search it regardless. Just remember to not keep your license/registration ect. next to the gun, police won't like that if you get pulled over and you have to touch/move a gun while they are around.

snirp88

This is all my very non lawyer understanding.

1. Public schools in CO are gun free zones, you can keep your handgun out of view in a locked vehicle in a school parking lot so I assume car carry is okay on the road right next to it. Private schools, I think, can make any rules they desire so you'd have to know but I treat them like public schools (although the possibility could be that they are even stricter) but you don't plan on being on the "real" property of said schools so it shouldn't be a problem.

2.Your car is your real private property and is like a rolling home. Police need a warrant to search it, and open and conceal carry and acceptable without a CHP (except OC in Denver). Driving by a school would be of no consequence.

3.Most Stores own the parking lot in front of them, so they can do whatever rules they choose.

4.You're fine, I think.

You can conceal carry your handgun in your car everywhere in Colorado, you can open carry in your car everywhere but Denver. I would say if you're under 21 just keep your gun locked in your glove box if it's not physically on your person. Police need a warrant to search it regardless. Just remember to not keep your license/registration ect. next to the gun, police won't like that if you get pulled over and you have to touch/move a gun while they are around.
So, just to be completely clear, I SHOULD be okay OCing in a store with a school with in 1000 feet?
There's 2 places so far where I have been weary, king soopers at Arapahoe crossings at parker and arapahoe has Regis high school behind it. And home depot at south lands has some middle school within 1000 feet I believe.

notalawyer

sheepdog

...regardless of whether they were add-on charges, their effect on the defendant was the same...I'd hate to see any man, young or old, lose his gun rights...even if he were given probation on the charge...

sheepdog

...precisely correct...ON that private lot or in the store...but the law kicks back in the second one walks or drives across the sidewalk or onto the street or alley...then the gun must be unloaded and locked away, according to the law cited above...

...Ron Paul tried to get this repealed, maybe, in an election year, he'll take another run at doing that...maybe, if Americans are sick enough of the Federal yoke, it'll happen...Thomas Massie introduced HR133 Jan 2013 to do it...haven't been able to find the status now...
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr133/text

Last edited:

Ron_O

...precisely correct...ON that private lot or in the store...but the law kicks back in the second one walks or drives across the sidewalk or onto the street or alley...then the gun must be unloaded and locked away, according to the law cited above...

...Ron Paul tried to get this repealed, maybe, in an election year, he'll take another run at doing that...maybe, if Americans are sick enough of the Federal yoke, it'll happen...Thomas Massie introduced HR133 Jan 2013 to do it...haven't been able to find the status now...
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr133/text

Lots of misinformation out there regarding this law. Other than on private property, it seems pretty clear to me that anyone who's within 1000 feet of a school, even while driving past in their car or walking or riding on a sidewalk, is in violation and subject to the rather severe penalties of this law. This is lunacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

Last edited:

aadvark

snirp88:

Colorado does NOT have a '1000-Foot' Buffer Zone around Schools. Therefore, Carrying a Firearm within 1000 Feet of a School is Legal under Colorado Law as Colorado ONLY Prohibits Carrying a Firearm Actually in or on The School Property Itself.

However, The Federal Government DOES have The '1000-Foot' Rule. If You have a Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit, You are OK under Federal Code Section 18 U.S.C 922(q)(2)(B)(ii). Likewise, if You are in or on PRIVATE Property, which is not Public Property, You are also OK regardless of whether or not You have that Permit.

aadvark

Last edited:

bomber

Wouldn't it need to be a federal officer enforcing this federal law about 1000 feet within a school zone which conflicts with Colorado law?

JonStore

Wouldn't it need to be a federal officer enforcing this federal law about 1000 feet within a school zone which conflicts with Colorado law?

From what I read... not directly. But Colorado is a ID state, which means that you will have to show identification. Local police can forward information to the US AG for evaluation. I suppose if the 'stink' were big enough and the evidence forwarded to the AG were strong enough to compel the AG to charge, I can see that it could happen. Not legal advice, this is my opinion only. Seek qualified legal advice.

edit:

CRS 16-3

also, read the associated case law and guidance in those statutes.

Last edited:

JonStore

What do you mean Colorado is an ID state?

I'm not totally clear on how you did not understand.

But I digress, I should have clarified. Should a police officer stop you, [and reasonably suspects...], they can require identification in Colorado. That ties in to my earlier points about the forwarding of evidence.

Of course, stopping may not constitute an arrest.

cite:
C.R.S. 16-3-103 (2014)

This is my opinion only and not legal advice. Seek qualified legal advice.

Jon

Last edited:

Beau

I'm not totally clear on how you did not understand.

But I digress, I should have clarified. Should a police officer stop you, [and reasonably suspects...], they can require identification in Colorado. That ties in to my earlier points about the forwarding of evidence.

Of course, stopping may not constitute an arrest.

cite:
C.R.S. 16-3-103 (2014)

This is my opinion only and not legal advice. Seek qualified legal advice.

Jon

Ah. I hear a lot of people refer to CO as a stop and ID state and what they mean is that if LE asks you for ID for any reason you have to provide it. That they do not have to have RAS in order to demand ID. I thought you may have been stating the same thing.

JonStore

Ah. I hear a lot of people refer to CO as a stop and ID state and what they mean is that if LE asks you for ID for any reason you have to provide it. That they do not have to have RAS in order to demand ID. I thought you may have been stating the same thing.

It looks like they have to reasonably suspect, however, I think we all know how loosely interpreted that can be. I am thinking that it might be more trouble to argue with an LEO over an I.D.

JonStore

Differentiate oral identification from identification documents.

BLUF: That statutes appear to read, if the officer demands ID (and whatever else the law/statute requires) if you have ID available, you produce. Along with answering the two or three questions the statue requires (save the 5th amendment exclusion, of course... but that is a different debate/topic altogether.)

It is interesting to note, the statute proscribes providing a SSN.

I'm not clear on what you are asking. The revised statute already differentiates, I don't need to do that. It includes written in the same sentence it directs oral. "...identification if available". If "identification" were oral, then the language would be redundant. But it is not... Identification is defined elsewhere in the statutes. Also, it is important to note the relevant case law. None of this is legal advice. Only my opinion. Seek qualified legal advice.

Jon

bomber

[QUOTEestrictive=bomber;2097617]Wouldn't it need to be a federal officer enforcing this federal law about 1000 feet within a school zone which conflicts with Colorado law?

It doesn't "conflict" with Colorado law. The federal law is just more restrictive than Colorado law. If Colorado law said you could carry a gun within 1000 ft. of a school, then they would "conflict". State and federal law are very seldom in exact agreement, and usually regulate different things. Guns and schools just happen to be two areas that fall under the authority of both.

Colorado law explicitly states you can carry a gun onto school grounds in your vehicle.

C.R.S. 18-12-214

(3) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school; except that:

(a) A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked;

Last edited:

JonStore

Colorado law explicitly states you can carry a gun onto school grounds in your vehicle.

C.R.S. 18-12-214

(3) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school; except that:

(a) A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked;

Yup. I usually take it off and put it in the glovebox. Then exit my truck.