• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

M/Sgt Eugene Williams Jr. on Supertalk MS today (12/5/2011)

Cornelius

I'm not sure if any of you listen to Supertalk Ms, but today all of us should have been listening to the JT show while M/Sgt was a guest. I must admit that I didn't get to catch his entire vist but the last 10 minutes were the most important for us. A caller called in and asked M/Sgt does his concealed cary permit mean that whenever he carries does te firearm have to be compleletely concealed or is in the holster fine. M/Sgt replied that the firearm must be completely concealed at all times!!! He went on to say that a concealed weapons permit does not give you the ability to walk around with a firearm in plain sight, because MS does not have open carry!!! The caller stated that he has been getting alot of information on this subject and that the information the M/Sgt was giving him was in direct conflict with what many attorneys had already told him. JT(host of show), then stated well you know lawyers are always going to tell you one thing because they are always trying to challenge the law. I was about to call in myself but JT said their would be only one caller after the current call ended, so I woudnt have been able to get on. I'm posting this because this is in direct violation of what the MS law states, and this is the Director of the Firearms Unit giving this misinformation. So either our collective reading/understanding of the law is incorrect or he is intentionally misinterpting the law. I find it hard to believe that he made a mistake since that was his entire reason for coming on the show,and he is the Director after all. Any thoughts on this matter?

Cornelius

Yea the first thing I did was go to the site and try to pull up the archives, but it will be a little while before today's show is in their system apparently. Being that he has that "title" I don't know if trying to inform him of anything, since he was pretty adamant with his respone to the caller. And what shocked me even more is that he kept calling it a concealed weapons permit when that's not what my license says.

4angrybadgers

<snip>
And what shocked me even more is that he kept calling it a concealed weapons permit when that's not what my license says.

To be fair, the law does (mostly) call it a concealed weapons permit:
§ 45-9-101. License to carry stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver

I'd say the wording on the license itself is bad, as "Firearms Permit" is overly broad and misleading. According to 45-9-101 (18) the permit does not cover "open and unconcealed" carry, yet "Firearms Permit" makes it sound like it covers all aspects of firearms ownership and carry.

End of mini-rant.:p

MilProGuy

Yea the first thing I did was go to the site and try to pull up the archives, but it will be a little while before today's show is in their system apparently. Being that he has that "title" I don't know if trying to inform him of anything, since he was pretty adamant with his respone to the caller. And what shocked me even more is that he kept calling it a concealed weapons permit when that's not what my license says.

You are correct.

Mississippi issues a Firearms Permit which permits the holder to conceal carry a handgun.

Cornelius

You are correct.

Mississippi issues a Firearms Permit which permits the holder to conceal carry a handgun.

Yes but this "conceal carry" does not meant the handgun must be completely concealed. The permit is needed because the state law saws any part of the gun concealed is considered concealed carry.

Last edited:

Daylen

Yes but this "conceal carry" does not meant the handgun must be completely concealed. The permit is needed because the state law saws any part of the gun concealed is considered concealed carry.

No it doesn't. That would be clearly in violation of the constitution of MS and as no law can do such that interpretation is wrong. No court, that I know of anyway, has established your interpretation as the common law interpretation. MS Attorney Generals are consistant in saying that carrying a firearm unconcealed is legal, and are equally consistant in not giving any interpretation as to what is concealed or unconcealed.