• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USDA Food Police rejects preschooler's brownbag lunch, provides 'chicken nuggets'

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2101354/Food-police-reject-preschoolers-homemade-lunch--favo

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/display_exclusive.html?id=8772

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/Frankfort_school_gets_visit_from_USDA_official_on_school_lunches_

CJ Staff said:
The national uproar over a 4-year-old’s recent encounter with a preschool lunch monitor at a Hoke County elementary school has prompted two members of the N.C. congressional delegation to fire off a letter expressing “strong concern” to U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack.

“This unfortunate and absolutely unnecessary event exemplifies the very definition of ‘government overreach’ and further perpetuates a growing reason of why the American people continue to hold less and less faith in our government,” writes U.S. Rep. Larry Kissell, D-8th District, in the letter co-signed by Rep. Renee Ellmers, R-2nd District. Kissell represents the district in which the incident took place.

Audrey Rowe https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=audrey+rowe

WKYT said:
Audrey Rowe is visiting schools all over the nation.

“Everything we can do.. to make food taste good,” Rowe told students at Elkhorn Middle School in Frankfort on Wednesday.

The USDA official from Washington, DC got a first-hand look…and taste of school lunches in Kentucky.

Last edited:

Jack House

Sooooo, highly processed 'chicken product' is more nutritious than a turkey sandwich, apple juice, a banana and some chips? :banghead:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I guess we need to teach the kids the rules when "open carrying" their lunch to school.

Do not consent to a lunch search.
Do not talk to the lunch police.
"Why am I being denied my lunch?"
"Am I free to eat?"
etc...

Tony4310

Ridiculous, I am starting to consider home school for my son more and more.

I'd do it, but we can't afford to home school. I know many that would, but money is the issue so they can not. My wife is a teacher and this story pissed her off.

carsontech

Activist Member
Had enough government school, yet?

pink-floyd-wall.jpg

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'd do it, but we can't afford to home school. I know many that would, but money is the issue so they can not. My wife is a teacher and this story pissed her off.

I thought if you home schooled, the government is supposed to give you back your share of property taxes that go toward the schools, or something like that? Is it just a dent, or is it significant? I never looked to see where my property taxes are going in either state where I hold land (NV and AZ).

I was home-schooled for the 7th grade, but don't remember much now about the process.

Of course, "affording" to home-school is more than money, I know. It means a parent is unavailable for other things, unless you are hiring a tutor, and than, yes, $$$$.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I thought if you home schooled, the government is supposed to give you back your share of property taxes that go toward the schools, or something like that? Is it just a dent, or is it significant?
That is dependent on the jurisdiction, if it exists at all. Consider private school that removes as much expense from the taxpayer and is not recompensed.

onestar 50

This article was on f.a.g website (Find a Grave.com) last night my wife and I was talking about it. We would have been so mad if that was our little girl.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Ridiculous, I am starting to consider home school for my son more and more.

We "home schooled" our son, even though he was in regular school. It was just a matter of keeping the TV off most of the time and giving him fun things to play with and do, like blocks, puzzles, checkers, chess, and plenty of books he'd find interesting, including fun workbooks involving reading and math.

Taking the time and energy to answer his questions was perhaps the best thing we could have done.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I agree. Public school has many benefits for growing kids, especially needed social development, but school was never meant to be hands-off to the parents. They should be JUST AS involved in their children's schoolwork as the children are. Somewhere along the line in became easier to just use it for day-care.

since9

Campaign Veteran
We started him on the Stuart Little computer games for math and reading when he was three, and by the time he was four he'd moved through the first couple of years of the Jump Start math/reading games. He's now twelve, and in sixth grade, but writing on a collegiate level. Not to interested in Math, though...

babarock

I agree. Public school has many benefits for growing kids, especially needed social development, but school was never meant to be hands-off to the parents. They should be JUST AS involved in their children's schoolwork as the children are. Somewhere along the line in became easier to just use it for day-care.

while I agree with the parents being involved part, I must add home schoolers can get plenty of 'social development'. The parents just need to look for opportunities in church, communities, etc. Daughter would not be nearly as far ahead if we had placed her in government school.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I could not agree more. I am a big fan of well-done home schooling.
Ahh, what is "well-done home schooling," surely not the race card? The essential principle of home schooling is eliminating tyrannical mandates.