• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How should I go about an issue at work?

justin0629

For Me To Know and You To Not Find Out, United Sta
I work for a company in Lenexa Ks, altho there is a branch in kansas city Mo plus how ever many more across the nation plus what ever is over seas... On to my issue.. My company has recently put up signs saying concealed fire arms are not allowed on all the entrance doors.. We have a pamplet that tells us employees how to resolve anyissues we have with out retaliation. Its like 4 steps starting with my manager and moves all the way up to the vice president and some committee. Im wondering how others have handled this situation and what there out come had been. We get a lot of busness from the public and dont think my company should govern the peoples right to protect ones self since they have had a x employe come in at another company in anothe state and shoot the place up killing 3 and hurting several more some years ago. Id rather not say the company name at this time until I see what is the best way to take care of the situation.... Oh yeah 1st post but long time reader

kylemoul

I would rather lose my job than lose my life. Conceal it well and do not tell anyone. The signs mean nothing and it is not criminal to carry into the workplace.

Richieg150

I would rather lose my job than lose my life. Conceal it well and do not tell anyone. The signs mean nothing and it is not criminal to carry into the workplace.
I may be mistaken.....but I know in Missouri that is true, but I think a posting in Kansas, if caught concealing, is a criminal offence....like I said I live in Missouri but I am thinking I read that somwhere, being to lazy at the moment to dig for it.... but Im sure if I mistaken.... it will be pointed out......

G30Mike

Yea, I'd carry a .380 in my pocket and don't tell ANYONE .

I carried a KelTec P3AT right behind my wallet when I sold cars. I did of course have the owners consent to do this on his property as I don't have my CCW and I was covered in a car when I gave test drives. NOBODY but the owner and his wife knew I was armed.

My main point here is the P3AT is almost invisible behind a wallet in dress pants. :)

Redbaron007

I work for a company in Lenexa Ks, altho there is a branch in kansas city Mo plus how ever many more across the nation plus what ever is over seas... On to my issue.. My company has recently put up signs saying concealed fire arms are not allowed on all the entrance doors.. We have a pamplet that tells us employees how to resolve anyissues we have with out retaliation. Its like 4 steps starting with my manager and moves all the way up to the vice president and some committee. Im wondering how others have handled this situation and what there out come had been. We get a lot of busness from the public and dont think my company should govern the peoples right to protect ones self since they have had a x employe come in at another company in anothe state and shoot the place up killing 3 and hurting several more some years ago. Id rather not say the company name at this time until I see what is the best way to take care of the situation.... Oh yeah 1st post but long time reader

The owner of the business can restrict those who carry by posting no weapons signs. They have a right to do that; just as the citizen has the right to not patronize the business. In MO, the signs only carry weight of the law if you resist leaving when asked to do so, after being noticed CCWing; generally trespassing.

The question about you, as an employee, is do you value the ability to carry at work more than you do your job? If so, I wouldn't carry at work. However, if your beliefs are strong enough that you don't need the job but do need to carry, then carry at work. This is a choice YOU have to make. There have been some jobs I could care less about and would carry; however, currently, my employement is of value and I follow their demands of no firearms in the company offices and vehicles.

After it's all said and done, the decision is up to you to make. As for the customer; it is up to them to do business with the business.

Good luck.

Oramac

DO NOT CARRY PAST A SIGN IN KANSAS!

Signs in KS carry legal weight, unlike the signs in MO. It may be more important to you to live, should you have to draw and fire, and I agree. But is it more important to you to carry and go to jail should you be caught, or to keep or find a new job?

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I believe the OP ws asking bout getting the signs removed for everyone, not himself carrying at work.

In that light, it is a real political hazard for you. No matter what the dispute resolution process is at work, if you advocate for the removal, you will have labeled yourself as someone who MAY be violating company policies and carrying anyway, a single anti-gunner in the process can make your life very bad aka search your car or firing you for refusing etc, it depends upon company guidelines.

Least politically dangerous method, everything posed as a question and no educational efforts imposed upon them. Questions like:

"Mr Jones, I just saw those new signs, I have herd gun owners can be real finicky about them and actually boycott business places that post publicly, are we sure in this economy they won't do the same thing to us?"

What you have to likely understand, SOMEONE suggested they post, if it was the company lawyer, you are not changing the mind, it is a liability issue and lawyers argue for a living, they also play for the win no matter how small and if the owner is the judge, the lawyer will hold more merit with him than you likely. If the owner or CEO is an anti, it is a lost cause on many levels and likely not worth the effort. If by chance it was some anti employee suggestion that holds only as much merit as you, IMHO you have a fighting chance if you can some how tie it to a loss of business.

From a very real perspective, most companies dealing with the public try and put forward a politically neutral front, except on guns. That can also be used, simply ask the question "Mr Jones, noticed the sign, is that some sort of political statement?"

Notice that in both instances, you have not impose a view, you have not even officially given a thought or position, you have asked a question of Mr. Jones that makes the answer HIS, he has ownership of the suggestion of removal because of one of the two theories, loss of business from owners or political foes, you only planted the seed, its not your plant so to speak.

Ownership of an idea is key in getting things implemented, but you must have the power to indeed say yes. If you do not have that power, you need to give ownership of the idea to one who does, if they have ethics, they will give you at least partial credit for fostering the idea they perfected. IMHO this is one of the major problems that develops in corporate politics, there might only be one person whom can say yes, but there is a boat load who can say no and get in the way of any idea and some will if they simply can not tag onto a good idea themselves.

This all only applies if you like and want to keep the job or in a more specific corporate battle ground, if you are at odds with the one who suggested the sign in the first place, you can take very aggressive tact (difference in aggressive and assertive and aggressive gets enemies for life), you simply wait for the right moment and the right person and you say something with a sting like "Wow, I just saw that, have you noticed that sign? What nutjob decided it was a good idea to run every gun owner off from doing business with us? My gosh more than 50% of the people in this country own guns!"

Huge risk in that last one and if you do not know your audience, you are in instant trouble if you deliver it.

Food for thoughts on how one can grasp the rungs of the ladder in corporate America, applies to lots of things beyond something as volatile as guns, but they are the same in process, the sign is SOMEONE's protected turf, SOMEONE else with more power in the structure has to present the idea, let the idea be theirs and it just might work.

OC for ME

50% of folks own guns, but I'm confident that the number of gun owners who carry daily is not anywhere near 50%. The business model determines the motive.

kylemoul

I may be mistaken.....but I know in Missouri that is true, but I think a posting in Kansas, if caught concealing, is a criminal offence....like I said I live in Missouri but I am thinking I read that somwhere, being to lazy at the moment to dig for it.... but Im sure if I mistaken.... it will be pointed out......

Well...this is not a Kansas forum :)

zekester

I have been told under no circumstance am I allowed to carry a weapon at work, concealed or otherwise. I was actually told that if i wish to carry a weapon, that a resignation is required immediately...

I did question the logic of this, becasue we do a lot of cash business, to no avail.

I then asked if he would like me to post signs so that my customers cannot carry either....A resounding...HELL NO...can't lose business!!....Go figure...

John3

Your life is too valuable! Tell NO ONE and carry "smart" anyway. Your briefcase, man bag, European carry all etc. if on your body is an issue at least keep your steel close.

Hell, the criminals will be carrying and don't give a rip about any sign, gun free zone nor any innocent people.