• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry While Voting

JB248

Who here is going to OC while voting tomorrow?

I'm still up in the air as my polling location is at Farmington HS.

As TheQ stated in another thread:

"Food for thought. As always with OC and in life, don't pick legal battles you can't afford to fight. Knowing you, Paul, I know you can afford the fights. Others should keep in mind the cost of the fight when making their decisions."

This what is hitching me up as I'm always CC or OC unless I'm sleeping or showering.

Gotta love law...:(

Raggs

I plan to open carry, I also plan on voting, If the open carry gets in the way of the voting i will remove the firearm and go vote.

Adams182

I'll be voting tomorrow at gobles town hall. OC of course. Hope everyone else has a smooth and happy election day!

JB248

true, however I do not have the means to legally argue this in court, and I REALLY want to vote.

This...even after the event in Grand Rapids earlier this year...I still am thinking twice about doing so.

I guess I still have about 24 hours to decide.

griffin

You may be right. This is the law listing prohibited behavior:

MCL 168.931 - misdemeanors

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(zv...eg.aspx?page=getObject&objectname=mcl-168-931
http://law.onecle.com/michigan/168-michigan-election-law/mcl-168-931.html

MCL 168.932 - felonies

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(yc...eg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-168-932
Updated: http://law.onecle.com/michigan/168-michigan-election-law/mcl-168-932a.html

I don't see anything about audio or video or still recording. This is the closest thing:

MCL 168.932(d) A person shall neither disclose to any other person the name of any candidate voted for by any elector, the contents of whose ballots were seen by the person, nor in any manner obstruct or attempt to obstruct any elector in the exercise of his or her duties as an elector under this act.

Last edited:

TheQ

Keep in mind, they can ALWAYS hassle you after the fact. They know where you live and who you are (voter registration).

FreeInAZ

Well I OC'd while voting on October 31st (waited to send my trick in). Now to be honest, it was from the comfort of my own home via mail-in early voting. I can say having voted my entire life (from the age of 18 forward) in MI. Many states have much better voting setups. As it has been mentioned here, legally if you are a CPL holder you may OC in a school to vote. However in my experience the law becomes subjective to many of those sworn to uphold it.:uhoh:

Carry on my friends, openly and safely.

kubel

It's not so much a question of quether I will OC while voting. I plan to, my voting location is in a senior center which is in an elementary school building. The big question is who am I going to vote for (for state/local positions). I'm so unprepared.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
VOTE! Citizenship is a Verb!

I OCd while drinking a beer, eating my lunch, and Voting at my kitchen table. Washington State Votes by mail. Next time I think I will Vote nekkid.

I will OC when I deliver the Ballot tho.

Tucker6900

raggs, if they interrupt you, THEY are committing a felony

Same in Iowa. The law specifically states that any "offender" who is to be arrested or removed from the polling location, MUST be allowed to complete their vote prior to arrest or removal.

Though, I will be surprised if any LEO actually knows that law.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
btw, here is how my brother handled it right across the border in indiana. they have a preemption law similar to ours. btw, he has an attorney that is working for no money up front. when you have a case this cut and dry, there's no fear of losing. throughout the whole process, public officials have admitted their wrongdoing. i guess they have not been told to shut up by the county attorney.
http://www.abc57.com/home/top-stories/Guns-allowed-at-the-polls-177358651.html?m=n

Last edited:

Grutte Pier

carry during voting

gonna carry, don't know if cc or oc, wearing my flannel at the moment but most of the time it rides over top of my holster without me noticing it, so, most likely oc.:D

Raggs

btw, here is how my brother handled it right across the border in indiana. they have a preemption law similar to ours. btw, he has an attorney that is working for no money up front. when you have a case this cut and dry, there's no fear of losing. throughout the whole process, public officials have admitted their wrongdoing. i guess they have not been told to shut up by the county attorney.
http://www.abc57.com/home/top-stories/Guns-allowed-at-the-polls-177358651.html?m=n

but, did he get to vote?