• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Terry "Burn the Koran" Jones will be 'packing' during his Dearborn protest Friday

Repeater

Terry "Burn the Koran" Jones will be 'packing' during his Dearborn protest Friday

Terry Jones, Koran-burning pastor of the Dove World Outreach Center, will pack pistol at next rally

Koran-burning preacher Terry Jones says he'll demonstrate outside a Michigan mosque no matter what this Friday - and he plans to pack a pistol for the protest.

"I have a .40-caliber semi-automatic and a concealed license permit, and I will be wearing that," the fundamentalist Florida preacher told Reuters.

"There will be no provocative actions from us," he continued. "We are coming in peace."

Uh-oh:

Dearborn-denies-permit--says-Quran-burning-minister-could-face-arrest

Dearborn denied a permit Wednesday for Quran-burning Pastor Terry Jones' planned protest outside the Islamic Center of America on Good Friday.

Jones could be arrested if he goes ahead with the protest outside the mosque without a permit, said city spokeswoman Mary Laundroche. She added that the permit had been denied for "public safety reasons."

Aknazer

So people who protest funerals can get permits even though they are basically harassing emotionally distraught people, but someone can't protest outside of a mosque? That seems pretty hypocritical.

Highline

So people who protest funerals can get permits even though they are basically harassing emotionally distraught people, but someone can't protest outside of a mosque? That seems pretty hypocritical.

And unconstitutional.

The 1st Amendment is pretty clear that NO LAW shall interefere with the right to assemble and the 14th Amendment enforces said right on state governments.

Michigander

The Dearborn police have a multi generational tradition of acting crazy. Considering that, and the fact that Dearborn has the largest middle eastern born population in the USA, this is just a bit crazy. It rather reminds me of in the 70's when Coleman Young was asked by the KKK for permission to march through Detroit, except Coleman encouraged them to come, and they opted not to since they'd have probably been massacred.

To say the least, middle eastern people are going to see things differently than most other US residents. This is the kind of thing where I respect ones right to be a fool, but it's the sort of thing you'd have to be certifiably nuts to want to do.

Daylen

This has the potential to be VERY bad for carriers, both OC and CC. It would be nice if he would keep his nutty self in his church in Florida.

Brion

And unconstitutional.

The 1st Amendment is pretty clear that NO LAW shall interefere with the right to assemble and the 14th Amendment enforces said right on state governments.

The Dearborn police have a multi generational tradition of acting crazy. Considering that, and the fact that Dearborn has the largest middle eastern born population in the USA, this is just a bit crazy. It rather reminds me of in the 70's when Coleman Young was asked by the KKK for permission to march through Detroit, except Coleman encouraged them to come, and they opted not to since they'd have probably been massacred.

To say the least, middle eastern people are going to see things differently than most other US residents. This is the kind of thing where I respect ones right to be a fool, but it's the sort of thing you'd have to be certifiably nuts to want to do.

This has the potential to be VERY bad for carriers, both OC and CC. It would be nice if he would keep his nutty self in his church in Florida.

He has the right, and so we can not argue against it. Otherwise we can't argue our right granted by 2A. I say let him do it and to be honest i want it to, just so i can see how fare the LEOs there go and see how they stomp on said right.

eye95

We should react to this guy in the very way that most Muslims don't, which is why the whole religion gets a bad name from the actions of violent Muslim groups. That is to say that we should strongly denounce what this bigot does.

Burning the Koran was stupid and antagonistic.

Protesting outside a mosque is stupid and antagonistic, especially while armed.

I denounce him and his actions.

the_hustleman

We should react to this guy in the very way that most Muslims don't, which is why the whole religion gets a bad name from the actions of violent Muslim groups. That is to say that we should strongly denounce what this bigot does.

same here, I can't condone this type of ignorance in any way, yet I guess I'm conflicted because I feel he does have the right to do it.

But just because you have the right to do something, does it mean you SHOULD do it?

Brion

same here, I can't condone this type of ignorance in any way, yet I guess I'm conflicted because I feel he does have the right to do it.

But just because you have the right to do something, does it mean you SHOULD do it?

But isn't that the argument that some anti-gun folks use? It's you're right to OC, but it doesn't mean you should. "You're scarring the children and people are concerned."

And what is some of your responses? "It's not my problem they are scared. If people have a problem, well it's their problem."

BTW, I support OC or I wouldn't be here.
Just playing devils advocate here.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member

Of course you should! If you feel what you're doing is correct and worth the cost of doing it.

The world's shock and outrage at burning a holy book is so much flatulence. I generally care not a whit either way. Everyone's welcome to their own follies.

Unless of course you attempt to coerce me with screaming mobs and religious proclamations, then I'll be running for matches and lighter fluid.

eye95

But isn't that the argument that some anti-gun folks use? It's you're right to OC, but it doesn't mean you should. "You're scarring the children and people are concerned."

And what is some of your responses? "It's not my problem they are scared. If people have a problem, well it's their problem."

BTW, I support OC or I wouldn't be here.
Just playing devils advocate here.

Some things are legally right and morally right.
Some things are legally right and morally wrong (as can be established by rational argument).
Some things are legally right, morally right, but disliked by some, making it, in their opinion, morally wrong (no rational argument can support their misdirected POV). They can get stuffed.

Jones' actions qualify for the second. He is acting out of bigotry, ignorance, and hate.

Lawful OC is merely a mode of self-defense and is arguably the reason for the right! Therefore, lawful OC qualifies for the first and is, because of bigotry, ignorance, and hate, also an example of the third.

Gunslinger

Why? While I may not agree with him philosophically, I defend his Constitutional rights to do exactly what he proposes. If we are so vocal in our defense of the 2nd--and 4th Amendments, how the hell can we ignore the 1st?

Brion

Some things are legally right and morally right.
Some things are legally right and morally wrong (as can be established by rational argument).
Some things are legally right, morally right, but disliked by some, making it, in their opinion, morally wrong (no rational argument can support their misdirected POV). They can get stuffed.

Jones' actions qualify for the second. He is acting out of bigotry, ignorance, and hate.

Lawful OC is merely a mode of self-defense and is arguably the reason for the right! Therefore, lawful OC qualifies for the first and is, because of bigotry, ignorance, and hate, also an example of the third.

So what you are saying is, as long as you are with the majority of people that have the opinion that he is moraly wrong, then to hell with the minority and his right? And that you can develop in your own mind a "rational argument" then we can say he shouldn't do this?

Because I'll argue that the term "rational argument" is an opinion in and of it's self. And I'll also argue that OC advocates compared to the general population are a minority. I don't know where we stand among people that are anti-OC. But I might go as far as to say that if you lined up everyone that believe in OC and lined up everyone that is truly anti-OC that do or do not speak out against it, the anti-OC might be a longer line.

So as long as I'm not in a minority group I have nothing to fear I can do what I want?

Let's trade 1 tyrant 1000 miles away vs. 1000 tyrants 1 mile away?

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran

Damn good point, I would hope that Jones' lawyer is ready to exploit that court ruling.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran

I disagree 100%. I couldn't think of a more just cause for self-defense. Exercising your 1st amendment rights and if attacked exercising your 2nd Amendment rights. God Speed Pastor Jones!

Repeater

ACLU agrees

And unconstitutional.

Terry Jones refuses to pay bond; jury to decide Friday about Dearborn rally bid

Florida pastor Terry Jones will face a jury trial on Friday after a Dearborn judge sided with Wayne County prosecutors and Dearborn police who were trying to make him pay a bond in order to rally in Dearborn.

Earlier, the ACLU of Michigan and others slammed local authorities for trying to deny Jones the right to protest outside the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn.

The ACLU said that authorities are denying Jones’ Constitutional rights.

The government should “not impinge on a person’s right to protest, even when their speech is as distasteful and offensive as Rev. Jones’ is,” said Rana Elmir, communications director for the Michigan ACLU.

Michigander

He has the right, and so we can not argue against it. Otherwise we can't argue our right granted by 2A. I say let him do it and to be honest i want it to, just so i can see how fare the LEOs there go and see how they stomp on said right.

Oh I'm not arguing with his right to do it. I couldn't care less as a matter of fact. I'm just pointing out that he's taking his life into his own hands and endangering it. People have been shot for a lot less in Dearborn. A comparable thing would be to walk around a particularly bad part of LA with a shirt that says "I hate ni****s" while shouting "I hated Tupac, he deserved to die!"

To put it another way, the results would probably be almost as pleasant as sticking your wiener in a hornets nest. From a civil rights standpoint there is nothing objectionable. From a sense God gave a hamster standpoint, it's a bad idea.

bajadudes

I completely disagree with his burning of the koran, it's an ignorant stupid thing to do but I defend his right to do it.

That he want to OC while doing it is fine with me. There are A-holes in all walks of life and organizations. I know plenty of A-holes that OC......sometimes I'm one of them.

MKEgal

Michigander said:
he's taking his life into his own hands and endangering it
I would argue that he's also endangering the people who will be around him, who (since he's announced this & gotten publicity) will probably include police trying futilely to prevent violence while he does his best to stir it up.

From a civil rights standpoint there is nothing objectionable.
From a "sense God gave a hamster" standpoint, it's a bad idea.
LOL!!! I usually say 'kumquat' instead of 'hampster', but same idea.
And I agree on the rest.

If he'd shown up with no fanfare or publicity, stayed on public property, done his book burning, yelled his slurs, and gone away, there wouldn't be a problem. Free exercise of civil rights. (Though is there an ordinance about open burning?)

But he wanted to turn it into a parade or gathering or demonstration or some such, and got publicity because that gathering was deemed not in the best interest of the public because of its potential for violence (also a good reason to turn away the KKK), so the permit was denied.

On another topic, I wonder if he knows that he can't carry concealed with his out of state permit?
He has to carry openly in MI, and for that he needs to have his FL permit.
Could solve the problem right as he gets out of his car & starts unloading stuff - arrest him for carrying a concealed weapon without a license.

If I were closer & available whenever he's going to pull his little stunt, I'd be there with gun on demonstating against his hate. The interfaith coalition in those parts needs to get its act together and get a wide variety and large number of people out to counter his message of hate.

Last edited: