• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fustration ....

Mitchell

So I belong to one of the largest gun clubs around. And I hear a report that an archer asked someone not to carry their CC'd side arm in the club house.

No one at any gun club should ever ever ever be asked to not carry!

:banghead::mad::mad::banghead:

Michigander

I am firmly of the belief that most gun ranges and clubs in Michigan suck. Rules about how many rounds in the magazine at a time, how fast you can shoot, clearing the action before going down range, it pisses me off. And this place sounds like just that kind of place.

I'm the sort who wants to be able to shoot at bad guy targets like my life depends on it, then take a slung and hot rifle and OCed handgun with me to check my targets. If this isn't permissible because of some politically correct douche bag range officer, I won't shoot there. Used to bother me more than it does now. These days I just go to the Pit, rain, snow, hail or sunshine. It beats the alternative.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
So I belong to one of the largest gun clubs around. And I hear a report that an archer asked someone not to carry their CC'd side arm in the club house.

No one at any gun club should ever ever ever be asked to not carry!

:banghead::mad::mad::banghead:
Is this a rule? Did the archer simply have an objection to the lawfully carried sidearm? What's the whole story? Does anyone know???

stainless1911

Banned
I am firmly of the belief that most gun ranges and clubs in Michigan suck. Rules about how many rounds in the magazine at a time, how fast you can shoot, clearing the action before going down range, it pisses me off. And this place sounds like just that kind of place.

I'm the sort who wants to be able to shoot at bad guy targets like my life depends on it, then take a slung and hot rifle and OCed handgun with me to check my targets. If this isn't permissible because of some politically correct douche bag range officer, I won't shoot there. Used to bother me more than it does now. These days I just go to the Pit, rain, snow, hail or sunshine. It beats the alternative.

+1, I dont even bother anymore. Its the pit, or the hunting areas near my place.

xmanhockey7

The one I go to in MI only allows one round in the magazine at one time (how stupid!) Out here in MN I got a range membership for $20 that is outdoor and the only rule is no alcohol past the spectator area. I can shoot steel targets if I want or do 100 round mag dumps without worrying about the DNR showing up.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i'm a member at a small local one that doesn't limit rounds in magazine, but no rapid fire and no human profile target... but then again, no range official and i frequently am the only person there... :banana::dude:

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Thank goodness for South Kent Sportsman's Club.

Each pistol range (25 yds) is enclosed on left & right sides by bunkers 8-10 ft high, and downrange closer to 15 ft.

Each range is about 20 yds wide, allowing for plenty of movement & target placement, while providing plenty of cover from any errant rounds from next door.

Six of them are open to members, and 15 more for IPDA / LEO / etc usage.

No limit that I am aware on mag capacity, but I've never seen anyone with a snail on their Glock, either.

Also, rifle out to 500 meters, for those of us that would rather not get too close to the problem, er, I mean, target.

Not uncommon to see an occasional Barret BMG, or the local Guard drilling with SAWs.

Got a lifetime supply of 40SW and 223 brass following the local LEOs rocking out with their M4's.

Maybe that's where we should do an OC picnic! Of course, its out the sticks, and no local gendarmerie would even notice, nor politicians.

Mitchell

I and others have carried openly, quite frequently, as well as this day and the day before, with out objections. And no, it is not in any rule book.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Not in reference to any particular gun club....

I have learned that just because an organization is named a "gun club" doesn't mean the folks who belong to it like guns.... or handle guns safely.... or have a clue about gun rights... or have a clue about gun laws... or even care about guns, gun laws, or gun rights.... and some members actually work against gun rights because they think the 2nd Amendment refers only to hunting.... and some members are very active in working against the 2nd Amendment in order to protect their precious infringement on the right to bear arms called a CC permit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bronson

The one I go to in MI only allows one round in the magazine at one time (how stupid!)

Which one is that?

Autosurgeon belongs to the Coloma gun club and that sounds reallygood. I belong to Kalamazoo Rod & Gun and they're pretty good. If the Coloma club wasn't so far away from me I'd check it out.

Bronson

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Last I checked, the Oakland County Sportsmans Club in Waterford is a single load club as well. That's why Ive never fired a single load there.

Oh yeah, you cant carry a firearm into the clubhouse either. What a joke.
Sounds like they're going by DNR range rules. There's a DNR range not too far from me, that has a single load rule. I think most of the unattended DNR ranges have the rule. The DNR range near Bath, has a rule of I think 6 rounds can be loaded. But they have a range master on duty 5 days out of 7, I believe. Venator might know more, if he frequents the place, considering how close it is to him.

HKcarrier

I've only been there a handful of times, but almost every other time, someone has been there, sighting in their hunting rifle.

You talking about Kelly Rd? It's shut down temp. cause some houses down range were taking bullets... not sure if it was from the range, or the surrounding state hunting land... We used to load up AKs and stuff and goto town down there in spite of the 1 bullet rule.

Bronson

I've only been there a handful of times, but almost every other time, someone has been there, sighting in their hunting rifle.

Sigh....

You wrote that unattended ranges have the one load rule and I attempted to make a joke that perhaps the one load rule was the reason they were "unattended."

Bronson

xmanhockey7

Which one is that?

Autosurgeon belongs to the Coloma gun club and that sounds reallygood. I belong to Kalamazoo Rod & Gun and they're pretty good. If the Coloma club wasn't so far away from me I'd check it out.

Bronson

The one I go to is a DNR range in Allegan.